PDA

View Full Version : Misadventures in reloading

melissa5
04-12-2012, 06:52 AM
Last night, I was loading and I heard a crack, looked down, and my bench had split where the press was mounted. Rats! So, I braced it as a temporary fix and carried on. Then I popped a primer. No one was injured, but it was very loud in my garage and scared me a little bit. Perhaps I should have stopped right there, but I carried on. Last, I got a case stuck in a die. Triple rats! At that point, I threw up my hands in disgust and went inside.

Got up this morning and realized that I can turn my bench around and mount the press on the other side and figured out how to get the case out of the die.

A good nights sleeps really does put things into perspective. :)

Micha2u
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
It's not even 9:00 AM and I'm already having a day like you did yesterday.

It seems like it's too early to go to back to bed...but...if it helps...I might have to do it.

wayneo1
04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I had the same kind of day yesterday as well. Seemed like whatever I did went south. I am glad your day started on an up note. what kind of primers you using. I have cci for the first time and they seem soft to me.

melissa5
04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
I had the same kind of day yesterday as well. Seemed like whatever I did went south. I am glad your day started on an up note. what kind of primers you using. I have cci for the first time and they seem soft to me.

Federal

DKD
04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I have been reloading for over 36 years and feel that CCI makes the finest primers bar none. I have used them all and they aren't soft nor hard...just right. They are the hotest as far as ignition is concerned which is especially good when your loading slower burning powders for high performance loads.
I also understand that Speer Gold Dot & Buffalo Bore use CCI primers.

Bill K
04-12-2012, 09:27 AM
It is amazing how so often just stepping back from the problem for a period of time allows for a solution to pop into ones conscience thought. I wonder if sublimely the mind searches for a solution while we're about other business.

Mattias44
04-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I've heard opinions that Federal primers are soft and prone to accidental ignition. Just look at how big the packaging is compared to other brands! I'm finishing up my first 1000 Federal primers and will probably try CCI next.

Bawanna
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
It is amazing how so often just stepping back from the problem for a period of time allows for a solution to pop into ones conscience thought. I wonder if sublimely the mind searches for a solution while we're about other business.

I really think we do just that. I've been trying to get my leaders to give me a real room that I can secure so I can have my armory duties and office puke duties together.
Many times I'll be working on something and get stuck or find some thought necessary. While doing other stuff and idea pops into my head and if it were all together I could just turn around and see if it works, instead of going to another corner of the building.
Too outgrown and too much wasted space in the building, probably never happen.

I sometimes think it goes the other way too. I'll be working something with what I consider a fine plan, come back to it the next day and I don't remember what the plan was.................

MW surveyor
04-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I sometimes think it goes the other way too. I'll be working something with what I consider a fine plan, come back to it the next day and I don't remember what the plan was.................

You probably forgot your Alzheimer test also, didn't you.:D

Bawanna
04-12-2012, 10:32 AM
You probably forgot your Alzheimer test also, didn't you.:D

Aw dang, was that today?

MW surveyor
04-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Aw dang, was that today?

I don't remember:blushing:

JFootin
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM

I know it does! Being a software engineer, I understand how a computer can run a job in the background while other work is being done. Our brains do that when we cannot remember a name or something. Suddenly a few hours later, the name will pop into your head.

wyntrout
04-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Or something will hit you up side the head... if'n it's your wife's name!:eek:

Wynn:D

Ikeo74
04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Last night, I was loading and I heard a crack, looked down, and my bench had split where the press was mounted. Rats! So, I braced it as a temporary fix and carried on. Then I popped a primer. No one was injured, but it was very loud in my garage and scared me a little bit. Perhaps I should have stopped right there, but I carried on. Last, I got a case stuck in a die. Triple rats! At that point, I threw up my hands in disgust and went inside.

Got up this morning and realized that I can turn my bench around and mount the press on the other side and figured out how to get the case out of the die.

A good nights sleeps really does put things into perspective. :)
What do you think caused the primer detonation and the stuck case? What kind of press and primer seater are you using? You don't want those things to happen twice.

melissa5
04-12-2012, 12:38 PM
What do you think caused the primer detonation and the stuck case? What kind of press and primer seater are you using? You don't want those things to happen twice.

Lee Loadmaster. After googling, I've found that the Loadmasters are famous for popping primers.

After taking the shell holder off of the Loadmaster to check out any potential problems from the primer explosion, I forgot to put the screw back on it. So with the next round, the case was in the die and took the shell holder up with it. I was able to fix it by putting the die in my turret press and pulling out the stuck case.

MudMarine
04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Agree with CCI recommendation. Have used them exclusively for 7.62 M118LR loads for my M14 specifically because they are hard and generally not susceptible to slam fires associated with a floating firing pin.

Care to share an image of your bench? I'm about to build one in a new home and have been looking for ideas.

DKD
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
My reloading bench has two levels and is about 10' Ft long. Built it out of 2x6 and 2x4's with a 5/8" Plywood top and bottom shelf topped with 3/4" Partical board. Been in use for over 30 years. Top side is the relaoding press's (1) "C Press, (1) RCBS Rock Chucker, (1) Mech Shotgun loader, (1) powder charger and two Luber Sizers. The bottom shelf on one side for bullets and the other for loaded ammo & lead alloy.
Can you beleive it I am always out of space. I think I will need an outbuilding for when I retire.

Bawanna
04-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Here's a couple pics of mine. I've made some improvements since these were taken. I added a metal leg of square tubing with a flange which I attached to the concrete floor and the bench so I had equal strength both upward and downward. The Hornady LnL is on the right, and I mounted my trusty Rockchucker to my left with the same metal leg.

Lots of things happen in between the two, from repairs to grip whittling, to cleaning.

As you can see it's very important to have a clean open area free of debris and unneeded items.

Obviously these pictures were not taken on a reloading day. It's kind of a do all kind of man cave.