PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and new (to me) MK9...

TheGreatGonzo
02-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I just traded for a used Kahr MK9, which I am very pleased to add to my collection. It is my only Kahr. It came with 3 magazines, one of which I am curious about. It has a nice little finger extension, but the slide does not lock back when this magazine is empty. I have not had a chance to shoot the pistol yet, but simply testing it by cycling the slide by hand, it seems to feed rounds with no problem. The other 2 mags have a small metal nipple on the follower (that is not present on the magazine in question) and both of these mags lock the slide back when empty, as expected.

Can anyone enlighten me on this mystery?

Thanks,
Gonzo

unclenunzie
02-13-2010, 06:01 PM
If there is no hole where the little metal pin should be, I suspect the mag is an aftermarket brand like promag, and the follower might be worn out, or maybe the spring is too weak to push up the slide stop. I don't think they make them anymore. If it's made by Kahr (has a pin hole) they might send you a new follower or maybe sell you one.

I bought a couple of the promag 7 rounders from midway during a clearance sale. They work ok but I would never use them for carry, only the kahrs for that.

Good luck with your MK9, it is the all steel version of the PM9, which I have and love. I bet it shoots great.

unclenunzie

quikduk
02-13-2010, 08:33 PM
IMHO, I would 86 the non-Kahr mags and get factory mags. You can get them for great prices at Trading Post Supply.

Trading Post Supply LLC (http://www.tradingpostsupply.com/)

TheGreatGonzo
02-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the responses! The odd thing is, with the exception of not having the metal nipple on the follower, I would swear it was a Kahr factory mag. It has "Kahr" etched on the side. Either way, I will either replace the follower with one that has the nipple or ditch the mag altogether. I don't want to risk after-market mags. I'm ordering some new factory mags to increase my supply.
Thanks again,
Gonzo

In-Yo-Grill
02-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Congrats on the "new to you" MK9. I bought mine used also and have been very happy with it. It shoots great and has moderate recoil.

wyntrout
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the responses! The odd thing is, with the exception of not having the metal nipple on the follower, I would swear it was a Kahr factory mag. It has "Kahr" etched on the side. Either way, I will either replace the follower with one that has the nipple or ditch the mag altogether. I don't want to risk after-market mags. I'm ordering some new factory mags to increase my supply.
Thanks again,
Gonzo

Kahr sells magazine maintenance kits that include the spring and a follower for $19.
Wynn:)

jocko
02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Indeed buy the magazine maintenance kits. I would think 3 magazines would be enough to have also.

tv_racin_fan
02-25-2010, 04:34 AM
I don't think three is enough myself. Maybe three per gun if you have multiples but I like to have more than three myself. Sure makes range trips better for us.

swampman
02-25-2010, 04:47 AM
I don't think three is enough myself. Maybe three per gun if you have multiples but I like to have more than three myself. Sure makes range trips better for us.
I have four per gun,two at rest and two at work :D

In-Yo-Grill
02-25-2010, 06:05 AM
I usually only have two per gun. For my carry guns I have one loaded and one in pocket. It's nice to have more for the range though. Between my CW9 and P9 I actually have 5 magazines. That's really nice.

Don't even get me started on how many AR magazines I have...Let's just say...teens.