PDA

View Full Version : The New Sig P938 9mm vs. Sig P238 .380

Barth
04-14-2012, 09:31 PM
The external extractor is another feature that differentiates the two. The P938 can be found on the right in every pic.
http://www.hausofguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_6768-1024x682.jpghttp://www.hausofguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_6774-682x1024.jpghttp://www.hausofguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_6773-682x1024.jpghttp://www.hausofguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_6767-1024x682.jpg

paperpuncher
04-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Sig is going to sell a load of those.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jlaudio29
04-14-2012, 11:47 PM
I was fondling this at SHOT.. very cool new pocket gun, probably will sell a bunch... Colt should have done this years ago IMO. Instead.. they sell there tooling for the mustang to Sig.. then have to create new tooling to re-release the same gun. haha :)

Bill K
04-15-2012, 01:04 AM
My guess is a high percentage of Sig folks with the .380 are going to get the 9mm just because. As far as someone picking the P938 over so many other pocket nines I don't know - very competitive market.

Ljutic
04-15-2012, 01:23 AM
I want one really badly. It's on my 2012 wish list.

kerby9mm
04-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Anyone have an idea about the ballistic gain over the 380 in the 2.75 inch barrel with the 9mm?

Barth
04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Anyone have an idea about the ballistic gain over the 380 in the 2.75 inch barrel with the 9mm?

Don't have figures, but it's going to be dramatic depending on load.
This is extreme, but so am I - LOL!
3.07" Nano chronoed
Winchester Ranger +P+ JHP 115 gr at 1,212 fps
That my friend is smokin

kerby9mm
04-15-2012, 07:31 AM
I have 2 p238's but for the load you mentioned I will just shoot that one out of my mk9!

GROTMAN
04-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Question....I've had my wife to the range a few times and now she wants a gun. She things my G19 is too big and the pm9 has too much recoil. She has a hard time racking the slide on the glock and can't do the pm9 at all. At first she wanted an lcp but after a guy let us shoot one at the range we were both disappointed. She looked at the Sig 238 at a gun show not too long ago and the slide is very easy to rack and now that's the one she wants. But we haven't test fired one yet. I guess my question is before we plunge on ahead and get one, is how are they as far as recoil and would you recommend one for her?

paperpuncher
04-15-2012, 09:54 AM
My wife has a P238 and if she can shoot it with no problems or complaints, anyone can. It's the perfect gun as a table gun for the non-shooting type of woman to become comfortable with having around. It's a very easy shooter.

I'm not sure about having that type of person using it as a daily carry gun, cocked and locked. I just know my wife and I would worry having her carry it in a condition 1 mode with a SA trigger, even though it has a very positive click type of safety.

I highly recommend it for a woman in the above situation.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f96193-ef50-e3b6.jpg

GROTMAN
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
My wife has a P238 and if she can shoot it with no problems or complaints, anyone can. It's the perfect gun as a table gun for the non-shooting type of woman to become comfortable with having around. It's a very easy shooter.

I'm not sure about having that type of person using it as a daily carry gun, cocked and locked. I just know my wife and I would worry having her carry it in a condition 1 mode with a SA trigger, even though it has a very positive click type of safety.

I highly recommend it for a woman in the above situation.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f96193-ef50-e3b6.jpg

If/when we get one I will post how it goes. She plans on getting a carry permit in the near future but we both also know she has to get a lot more comfortable and proficient handling a gun etc. before she ever carries. But getting a gun she is comfortable with will be a good start. Thanks for the reply and input. :)

paperpuncher
04-15-2012, 10:36 AM
If/when we get one I will post how it goes. She plans on getting a carry permit in the near future but we both also know she has to get a lot more comfortable and proficient handling a gun etc. before she ever carries. But getting a gun she is comfortable with will be a good start. Thanks for the reply and input. :)

My wife started from zero as far as guns go, so it's been a process. But she's learned, and she handles a gun safely in a range environment, and is comfortable with it loaded on the table which is what my goal was when I bought it for her, as I'm gone a lot at night and she's home alone.

Plus having a "cute" gun such as a P238 helped in at least getting her to try to learn. Plus she likes the attention it gets at the range as most every trip someone will come up to ask what gun model she's shooting. We've let other wives shoot it at the range to try out, with all positive results.

Check out Osage County Guns online, they were the cheapest that I found online as their a seriously large Sig dealer, and they also sell on Gun Broker and if you watch you can scoop up a deal.

jocko
04-15-2012, 11:11 AM
In my li8ttle mind,,,,I just cannot cozy up to a single action semi in my pocket. It should be a real shooter due to being single action. Not taking a thing away fromt he gun, size wise it should really slow down the sales of the 380, as more than likely thisd willbe aOWB OR IWB handgun. Just sayin.

Cokeman
04-15-2012, 11:44 PM
I wish they weren't so square.

Ljutic
04-16-2012, 05:48 AM
I wish they weren't so square.

Sounds like you want the 938 SAS model then. I believe it's shown on the Sig website. Just a normal 938, but with Sig anti snag carry melt applied.

BOBBO268
04-16-2012, 06:16 AM
But like anything else in the world, i don't want the first of anything. I'll wait a year or two for the kinks to be ironed out :86:

William_the_kid
04-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Question....I've had my wife to the range a few times and now she wants a gun. She things my G19 is too big and the pm9 has too much recoil. She has a hard time racking the slide on the glock and can't do the pm9 at all. At first she wanted an lcp but after a guy let us shoot one at the range we were both disappointed. She looked at the Sig 238 at a gun show not too long ago and the slide is very easy to rack and now that's the one she wants. But we haven't test fired one yet. I guess my question is before we plunge on ahead and get one, is how are they as far as recoil and would you recommend one for her?

I have a P238- primarily purchased to replace my Kahr P380, which is chronically in for repairs. I really like the Sig. While it is not as tiny as the Kahr 380 (more comparable size-wise to a PM9), it is still pocketable. Mine came with tritium sights, and they are excellent. This Sig shoots beautifully and has been 100% reliable for me. Recoil is better than other 380s I've shot, but I've never fired larger 380s like the PPK or Bersa. I can shoot the Sig as quickly and accurately as I can shoot my full-size Beretta, which is really saying something for a gun this small.

Cokeman
04-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Sounds like you want the 938 SAS model then. I believe it's shown on the Sig website. Just a normal 938, but with Sig anti snag carry melt applied.

Still pretty square aren't they?

JFootin
04-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Still pretty square aren't they?

I have found that, especially with these small guns, some guns look bad in photos. I used to think the Taurus TCP was ugly and had sharp edges based on my impression from photos. I now own one, and those features which seemed to pop out at me in photos aren't there now that I can see and handle it. In fact, it is a handsome little gun, super thin, comfortable in the hand and naturally pointable. The only lever on it is a tiny but easily operable slide stop lever that isn't outsized like the one on the P380, and adds very little to the width of the gun. And to me, another attractive feature is the low price for a quality firearm with a lifetime warranty.

I have examined the 238 in person. It is very attractive and much smaller than it appears in photos. If you haven't, go to a LGS and examine one in person. Your opinion will change dramatically.

jocko
04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
It doesn;'t look that bad to e either,(but it also doesn';t bend my crank either) I personally see no reason to even compare the sig to the kahr, as they are totally two different guns. SA VS DAO is a real game changer IMO. I would not put a SA only semi in my pocket, not when I can put the same style of gun there with no levers on the left side and a very safe trigger,and lighter and smaller. Now if ur gonna W
IWB or OWB carry, then maybe cocked and locked in that postion for SOME. I sure don't see any woman accepting this cocked and locked scenario.: Just sayin

It will sell, for it is a SIG and it has it following like kahr people.