PDA

View Full Version : Tinfoil hat alert!! (is something different on store door scanners?)

rjt123
04-16-2012, 07:45 PM
OK. I'm usually not the conspiracy theory type...but I've been getting worried the last few days. I noticed that as I go in or out of some stores, my CCW is setting off the RFID "stolen goods alert" scanner they have at the entrance. And that's the thing...this didn't used to happen. It started up only a few days ago. So are the stores scanning for concealed weapons, or have they just turned up the sensitivity of the scanners for some reason? I've noticed it at Walgreens and a local (Texas) food store chain. It's got me paranoid that somebody is going to chase after me and try to detain me or something. Anybody else experienced this?

Markis82
04-16-2012, 07:50 PM
OK. I'm usually not the conspiracy theory type...but I've been getting worried the last few days. I noticed that as I go in or out of some stores, my CCW is setting off the RFID "stolen goods alert" scanner they have at the entrance. And that's the thing...this didn't used to happen. It started up only a few days ago. So are the stores scanning for concealed weapons, or have they just turned up the sensitivity of the scanners for some reason? I've noticed it at Walgreens and a local (Texas) food store chain. It's got me paranoid that somebody is going to chase after me and try to detain me or something. Anybody else experienced this?It is not your CCW that is setting off the "stolen goods alert". It is the RFID chip the aliens implanted in your head last week, that is setting it off!

jeepster09
04-16-2012, 08:01 PM
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/jeepster09/hillary_tinfoil_hat1.jpg

rjt123
04-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, at this point I wouldn't doubt it. I mean, not such a big deal when you're going IN, but when the alarm goes off when you're going OUT...

GROTMAN
04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
A few months ago I started setting off the alarms in every store I went into. I hadn't started carrying yet but was paranoid that when I did I would be "found out" . Finally went into a small bookstore that wasn't very busy and they were kind enough to let me experiment walking back and forth through the detectors leaving something behind each time until we narrowed it down to my wallet..turned out there was some kind of chip in it that had got reactivated. Tore out the chip and haven't had any issues since.

yqtszhj
04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
I had the same thing happen. I bought a pair of pants as some department store. They deactivated the sewn in chip before I left. Well then I start setting off the scanners at Walgreens of all places. One night After getting home I checked out the pants and there was a little strip sewn onto the waist of the pants. I cut that out and have never had another problem.

You have a chip somewhere that's getting picked up. Just hope it's not like the old "Total Recall" movie with Arnold Swartz-something and Sharon Stone. ;) He had to pull something the size of a big marble out of his nose.:eek:

AJBert
04-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Where I work, I've seen a number of folks coming in the store that set off the alarms. Most are due to the phone they are carrying. After I pull the tazer out we tend to get it all figured out...

most of the time!

I still like to see them flop like a fish out of water now and then! You know, just for fun!

Tinman507
04-17-2012, 05:36 AM
A lot of car keys are now imbedded with a chip. Even the key fob with the remote buttons could be doing it. Every couple of months I will consistently set off the alarms in and out from Home Depot. Then it stops. I suspect RFID frequencies overlap. There are only so many frequencies on the spectrum.

jocko
04-17-2012, 06:30 AM
thats a good one jeepster!!! look at that photo and now look at he today. Two totally different "looking" people. Obama has taken his toll on her

kayl
04-17-2012, 07:33 AM
It's not your gun :rolleyes:

The sensors you see are for EAS tags; they are not metal detectors. You likely bought a new wallet or other item that has an EAS tag in it that wasn't deactivated when you bought it...

rjt123
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Wow! Once again the collective wisdom of KahrTalk saves the day.

I did throw out my old wallet a few days ago. I had a new one I got as a gift that I just threw into a drawer until I needed a new one. So going with the advice on this thread, I searched through it, and danged if I didn't find one of those square RFID tags they put inside merchandise in order to set off the door scanners! It was tucked into one of the side pockets and glued to the lining. I must have missed it when I opened the gift.

It looks like I can retire my trusty tinfoil hat...for now. :)

Tinman507
04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n-4s3wXZFKU/SmZ6vyWIodI/AAAAAAAAAgI/IrUBkMcrna0/s400/Birdy+DNC+TIN+FOIL+HAT+BTR.jpg

muggsy
04-17-2012, 03:47 PM
OK. I'm usually not the conspiracy theory type...but I've been getting worried the last few days. I noticed that as I go in or out of some stores, my CCW is setting off the RFID "stolen goods alert" scanner they have at the entrance. And that's the thing...this didn't used to happen. It started up only a few days ago. So are the stores scanning for concealed weapons, or have they just turned up the sensitivity of the scanners for some reason? I've noticed it at Walgreens and a local (Texas) food store chain. It's got me paranoid that somebody is going to chase after me and try to detain me or something. Anybody else experienced this?

Could be your magnetic personality that's setting it off. ;)

TheTman
04-17-2012, 05:02 PM
There is a chip in some of those credit cards that you just wave in front of a scanner that might be setting some of those off. Have no idea if that's the problem or not. Just mentioning that it could be an issue.

rjt123
04-17-2012, 05:33 PM
There is a chip in some of those credit cards that you just wave in front of a scanner that might be setting some of those off. Have no idea if that's the problem or not. Just mentioning that it could be an issue.

Yeah, I don't have any of those, and don't want any either. From what I hear, people can scan those cards when you walk by. :(

Sage
04-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I had the same thing happen. I bought a pair of pants as some department store. They deactivated the sewn in chip before I left. Well then I start setting off the scanners at Walgreens of all places. One night After getting home I checked out the pants and there was a little strip sewn onto the waist of the pants. I cut that out and have never had another problem.

You have a chip somewhere that's getting picked up. Just hope it's not like the old "Total Recall" movie with Arnold Swartz-something and Sharon Stone. ;) He had to pull something the size of a big marble out of his nose.:eek:
Some kind of a chip like you are describing set off an alarm going through airport security. The wand showed it was coming from my hip pocket area. They patted me down and didn't find anything. When I got home I found some kind of chip sewn into my pants pocket.

DaveInCA
04-17-2012, 06:48 PM
I'll bet a few seconds in a microwave will deactivate any offending chips!

AJBert
04-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Just passing them over a strong magnet will kill them. To be sure, try it on your credit/debit cards!

GROTMAN
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Wow! Once again the collective wisdom of KahrTalk saves the day.

I did throw out my old wallet a few days ago. I had a new one I got as a gift that I just threw into a drawer until I needed a new one. So going with the advice on this thread, I searched through it, and danged if I didn't find one of those square RFID tags they put inside merchandise in order to set off the door scanners! It was tucked into one of the side pockets and glued to the lining. I must have missed it when I opened the gift.

It looks like I can retire my trusty tinfoil hat...for now. :)
Exactly where I found mine..my only regret was that instead of throwing it away I could have had some fun planting it on someone :)

tx_native
05-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Not like it matters. When was the last time any of the minimum wage workers at these stores actually confronted someone setting the sensor off? I always get the "you're okay" and the wave. The complacency is amazing.

Bawanna
05-29-2013, 10:13 PM
I remember on my Alaska cruise a couple years back, the little card they give me to open my room kept quitting on me. I'd have to go to the desk and they would reactivate. After a dozen trips we determined me carrying it next to my phone in its pouch while convenient was not good. Battery kept cleaning the card off.

mr surveyor
05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
I remember on my Alaska cruise a couple years back, the little card they give me to open my room kept quitting on me. I'd have to go to the desk and they would reactivate. After a dozen trips we determined me carrying it next to my phone in its pouch while convenient was not good. Battery kept cleaning the card off.

yep ... remember the old floppy discs encountering anything with a magnet in it?

ltxi
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM

I haven't had that happen to me since yesterday in DC. Know better, but put hotel key card in my right front pocket next to money clip w/magnet by accident.

AIRret
06-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Not like it matters. When was the last time any of the minimum wage workers at these stores actually confronted someone setting the sensor off? I always get the "you're okay" and the wave. The complacency is amazing.

I think if you don't run when it goes off they think your OK.
But we know you're really not (Just kidding).