PDA

View Full Version : Best OWB holster to CC for a fat guy? To fit a PM9

Chogers
04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
CC OWB holster for PM9. Fat guys only!

So I have tried some IWB holsters and have carried about 5 oclock but still dont care for it too much. I mostly carry in my pocket with a desantis nemesis pocket holster but that gets to be bothersome also because I lose a whole another pocket to put stuff in. I think the desantis is a little too thick also. Im sure there are other pocket holsters that are a bit thinner.

A good inexpensive OWB holster that is very easily concealable for a guy with a love handle would be ideal. Easy on and easy off is nice too. IWB holsters are not known for that benefit that is for sure.

chrish
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
It seems that many here are most frequently recommending either PJ Holsters or Garrett Silent Thunder holsters.

I just recently (well, not that recently) ordered a Silent Thunder STX (owb) and that is one FINE piece of workmanship. It's currently back at Garrett for a minor (hopefully minor) adjustment to better fit my longer TP9, in addition to my P9. But I really really really really like it. Can't wait to get it back and start using it.

I think I'm going to also try a PJ iwb at some point, seems MUCH thinner than my CompTac Infidel. If I don't like it, may order another Garrett in IWB. But I'm gradually wanting OWB more and more, unless I go on a health kick adn start loosing some poundage.

JFootin
04-19-2012, 07:03 AM
PJ makes OWB Holsters (http://pjholster.com/?page_id=110), too.

Rubb
04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
CC OWB holster for PM9. Fat guys only!

So I have tried some IWB holsters and have carried about 5 oclock but still dont care for it too much. I mostly carry in my pocket with a desantis nemesis pocket holster but that gets to be bothersome also because I lose a whole another pocket to put stuff in. I think the desantis is a little too thick also. Im sure there are other pocket holsters that are a bit thinner.

A good inexpensive OWB holster that is very easily concealable for a guy with a love handle would be ideal. Easy on and easy off is nice too. IWB holsters are not known for that benefit that is for sure.

As a fat guy....
Fobus (http://www.fobusholster.com/products/KAHR_P9_T9_MK9_TP9_T40_K40_MK40_COMPACT_HOLSTER-2816-36.html)

RedRyder
04-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm new to Kahr and to the forum also. I am proud owner of a P9 that now has about 400 flawless rounds thru it. I bought a Don Hume JIT Slide for mine and I'm a big chubby guy too. This holster has without a doubt been the most comfortable OWB holster that I've ever owned. I looked it up and they also carry the same model for PM9 and they are only $30. Great leather product at a good reasonable price. Carry mine all day and usually forget it's there. www.donhume.com

Look it over and see. I'm certainly happy with mine

Planedude
04-19-2012, 05:34 PM
My CW40 rides great in a Don Hume JIT slide under a cover shirt. I'm 6'2" and 330 so big guy fits the bill...
I picked up the single mag holder too. The gun rides at the 5 and the mag rides at the 8 o'clock. I have less that $75 in the pair from Cheaper than Dirt.

Enjoy.

jimbar
04-19-2012, 06:20 PM
I use the Bianchi Carry Lock mod 82 Colt Officers . It is shaped to hug your body, and has the push lock safety mechanism preventing accidently falling out.
I also have a Fobus paddle model. I prefer the Bianchi. An untucked shirt will conceal.

Chogers
04-19-2012, 08:16 PM
As a fat guy....
Fobus (http://www.fobusholster.com/products/KAHR_P9_T9_MK9_TP9_T40_K40_MK40_COMPACT_HOLSTER-2816-36.html)

You think paddle holsters are the way to go though? Arent they a bit harder to conceal than something that will sit a little lower on the belt line?

Rubb
04-20-2012, 03:15 PM
You think paddle holsters are the way to go though? Arent they a bit harder to conceal than something that will sit a little lower on the belt line?

Paddle for the easy on easy off part. Generally a higher ride conceals better.
The Fobus rides lower as you can see in jimbar’s pic and works well with the spare tire IMO.

Bawanna
04-20-2012, 03:24 PM
High ride definitely conceals better. With my Mernickle and Cbob combination when I lean over hard it hits my arm pit. It's not a super fast draw set up, in fact he came out with a mid ride for those that thought it was too high.

But I figure I carry a lot more than I draw, it's comfortable and easy to hide. Also a big plus since I sit full time. Riding below the belt much interferes with wheels and stuff.

The Garret OWB Silent Thunder is looking good to me. I wasn't really thrilled with the loop setup on the STX as I figure a screw will unscrew eventually.

I might chat with Ron and Sheryl about a high ride OWB ST. I love the IWB, the ride is lower and easier to grab but with OWB, I'd want it higher.

We all have our own little idiosyncracies, perhaps I have more than others?:confused:

RedRyder
04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
I use the Bianchi Carry Lock mod 82 Colt Officers . It is shaped to hug your body, and has the push lock safety mechanism preventing accidently falling out.
I also have a Fobus paddle model. I prefer the Bianchi. An untucked shirt will conceal.

OK jimbar, I'm confused. You carry the Bianchi on your left side but the Fobus on your right. Don't you get confused or do you have one gun for each side???
Just wondrin':confused: :D

Bawanna
04-20-2012, 04:58 PM
I was gonna ask that too but I didn't want to look dumb. I've asked before and was told it's a mirror but looking at those pictures I'm not buying the mirror theory.
You reckon Jimbar is really Roy Rogers in disguise?

mr surveyor
04-20-2012, 09:55 PM
they turned the negative over down at the drugstore when they was developin the pitchers

GipperPDX
04-21-2012, 12:39 AM
As a fat guy, I have had success OWB with a Mitch Rosen express: http://www.kahr.com/PM9-Holsters/Kahr-Mitch-Rosen-Crimson-Trace-Belt-Slide-Holster-Right-Hand-Black.asp

OWB, with an untucked shirt, this makes the PM9 disappear completely with the 6-rd mag in...MAYBE a slight bump with the 8-rd mag in (I don't trust/use the 7-round mags).

As for pocket carry, I LOVE the High Noon Holster's "Pocket Grabber (http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Pocket_Grabber/_pocket_grabber.html)" in horsehide. Works GREAT on my PM9 with Crimson Trace laserguard.

DLButler
04-21-2012, 04:21 AM
As a fat tech geek I use a Sneaky Pete. It falls in line with my cell phones on my belt. You never have to worry about what you wear or printing. It completely conceals the gun and you have easy access.

hpg
04-21-2012, 06:21 AM
I have a Galco Yaqui Slide holster for a 1911 that fits my CW9 very well....hpg

RxDoc
04-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Newbie reply to your question. I recently purchased a CM9, love it by the way-wear it daily or alternating with my Ruger KLCR.357, and use the Mitch Rosen as mentioned by GipperPDX. Great for concealment and retention, and expertly made (also have the same for the Ruger). Very comfortable too. Good luck!

Chogers
04-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all the great opinions. I am thinking that Mitch Rosen one might be the way to go. If it does in fact stay tight to the body than it sounds like a winner to me. Down side is that its $75 bucks! Anyone have one they want to sell?

RxDoc
04-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Chogers, if you go with the the Mitch Rosen (it does stay close to the body BTW) order off the Kahr Site, they must have them in stock or something, didn't have to wait for it to be made. Take care and be safe.