PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg Flex Shotgun

knkali
04-18-2012, 09:34 PM
What do you guys thinK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf8brxgnjLE

It is kind of cool but then its not too--I know that doesnt make sense.

Popeye
04-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Seems like a good idea to me.

JimBianchi
04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Wow, that sure beats the current way of getting a straight stock off of the M500 to put on an M4.

Like many, I broke the safety when installing the M4 stock. I had three screws in the box, I knew one was WAY to long so I picked the medium one. I met no resistance screwing it down and broke the safety when it came all the way threw the receiver.

Short one was the ticket. (The replacement part was free from Mossberg. Great warranty)

Bawanna
04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Looks like a great concept. I'd like to hold one and see how everything feels.

MW surveyor
04-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Man, don't let Barth see this! He will have at least four different stocks and four separate barrels :)

jocko
04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
looks cool to me, I guess!!!! Just sayin.

JFootin
04-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Man, don't let Barth see this! He will have at least four different stocks and four separate barrels :)

+1^! Man, that is brilliant! :D

AJBert
04-19-2012, 08:49 PM
I've been able to do all of this with my 870 for years, so, other than the nifty way to remove the stock, I'm not seeing anything new???

WMD
04-20-2012, 05:49 AM
I thought that was very cool! Interesting that the normal stock has only 13.5 inches length of pull. That is 1 inch shorter then the average shotgun. I think they will sell a gazlillion of those. I will say however......, a mossberg with pistol grip has some real snap when shooting. It hurts big time. (either that, or I am a big wuss!) :D

tv_racin_fan
04-20-2012, 05:57 AM
I've been able to do all of this with my 870 for years, so, other than the nifty way to remove the stock, I'm not seeing anything new???

What's new is the method for swapping the stock and foreend. With my 870 that takes a few minutes with this thing that can be accomplished in less than one.

muggsy
04-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Mossberg makes great pump shotguns that are usually reasonably priced.

chipD
04-20-2012, 06:08 AM
I thought that was very cool! Interesting that the normal stock has only 13.5 inches length of pull. That is 1 inch shorter then the average shotgun. I think they will sell a gazlillion of those. I will say however......, a mossberg with pistol grip has some real snap when shooting. It hurts big time. (either that, or I am a big wuss!) :D

My daughter has this Mossberg for home protection, the thing kicks like a mule on roids with .00 buck. We use target loads to practice with it.

http://www.impactguns.com/mossberg-500-tactical-persuader-12g-185in-wcar-stock-52440-015813524407.aspx

Tinman507
04-20-2012, 06:35 AM
We bought our son a Mossy Model 500 12ga. with a field barrel and a door crasher short barrel for Christmas.

We went out to function test it and try it out. Shot 3 rounds of target shells and one 00 Milsurp Buck.

Shot the first couple and figured this will be a pleasure to shoot. Fired the 00 and thought the world came to an end. OMG does that thing kick.

johnh
04-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Still love my 930SPX. Runs great and was not too hard on the wallet!

MO_Soldier
04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I want the 930spx REALLY bad! I'm entered to win one ATM.

Mike_B
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
We bought our son a Mossy Model 500 12ga. with a field barrel and a door crasher short barrel for Christmas.

We went out to function test it and try it out. Shot 3 rounds of target shells and one 00 Milsurp Buck.

Shot the first couple and figured this will be a pleasure to shoot. Fired the 00 and thought the world came to an end. OMG does that thing kick.

So- any opinions on 20ga for home defense- but only for inside the house? Seems it might make for more effective follow up shots and easier for my 130lb girlfriend to shoot.....

tv_racin_fan
04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
My wife is a bit smaller and has no problem with a 12 guage. You might try some low recoil ammo or do as I did and try some Aquila mini shells. (as a matter of fact the wife shot some today, would have shot more but a grandchild called for us to come get them from school)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/255579/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-5-8-oz-7-1-2-shot-box-of-20

After she tried those she tried some 2 3/4" 7 1/2 target loads and wound up shooting a full box of those.

I gotta get some reduced recoil buckshot for her to try out next.

Popeye
04-24-2012, 05:46 AM
So- any opinions on 20ga for home defense- but only for inside the house? Seems it might make for more effective follow up shots and easier for my 130lb girlfriend to shoot.....

Been saying it for years (16 actually). That 's how long I've been using a 20ga mossberg crusier with #3 buck for home defense. When I moved to my current address I went to two local gun shops to see what they had to say on a home defense shot gun that my wife could also use without dislocating her shoulder but would still get the job done. Both handed me the same exact shotgun and said this is what you want with #3 buck. Many will say 12 ga for HD and that's cool but if your married a 20ga with #3 buck will get the job done. Trust me with 20, 25Caliber balls come at them at 1200 FPS it's going to take them out of the game. The coronor won't be able tell the difference.
20 Ga #3 buck at short range like inside a home is one devastating round.

The Mossberg cruiser is light and easy to handle which is great for the women folk in our lives,and won't break the bank or her shoulder. The only thing I did was remove the pistol grip and put a pistol grip rifle stock combo on it. I shoot the HD rounds out of it about every six months and give it a dusting off reload, and it's back to business as usual. Very low maintenance shotty that has been 100% reliable from shot #one. It's been fully loaded and on duty 24/7/365 for 16 + years.
I keep a pistol on the night stand, but that is there to use only till I get to the shotty.

Popeye
04-24-2012, 05:54 AM
That's it on the bottom of the pic. It's the only pic I have of it. It does give you an idea of how long it is when compared to the others in the pic. The rifle right above it is a Ruger 10/22

wyntrout
04-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Still love my 930SPX. Runs great and was not too hard on the wallet!

That's the gun I wanted, but I wound up with a Charles Daly Tactical SA. I like the Ghost Ring sights, but the barrel swings too quickly for skeet. A few of the old timers at the range wanted to give me grief for the tactical shotgun, but later apologized and said it was okay, but the stock-less ones were banned.

John, will yours shoot regular range loads? Mine need a LOT of OOMPH to cycle the action. I wound up with Remington Nitro Express trap loads that worked, though more costly. I had tried 5 or six kinds of #8 shot loads and needed at least 3 3/4 DRAM loads... 1 1/8 oz with well over 1300 fps to cycle correctly.

I did buy a cylinder choke to replace the too aggressive-looking door buster that came on the barrel!

Wynn:)

Mike_B
04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
That's it on the bottom of the pic. It's the only pic I have of it. It does give you an idea of how long it is when compared to the others in the pic. The rifle right above it is a Ruger 10/22

Nice collection there, Popeye. I feel sorry for the sucka that tries breaking into your house!

Bawanna
04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
That's a sweet looking Garand too. That stock is fabulous. Aw heck they are all nice.

I have a couple Mossberg 500's and I like them over the Remington 870 myself. I've recommended the 20 ga several times too. A good combination.

I keep the tube loaded with the chamber empty to emphasize the universal sound of a pump shotgun loading. No sound like that in the whole wide world.
Better than a verbal warning and if they continue to come you know they are very serious or very stupid.

Popeye
04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I keep the tube loaded with the chamber empty to emphasize the universal sound of a pump shotgun loading. No sound like that in the whole wide world.
Better than a verbal warning and if they continue to come you know they are very serious or very stupid.

I keep the chamber empty on the shotty for the same reason. That click clack of the chamber being loaded means one of two things. It's a warning to the BG or it's the last sound he'll ever hear. That picture is actually and old picture. A new picture would have the Mosin Nagant in it and the Marlin 30/30 and the mini14 would have scopes on them. I shoot them all, none are closet queens. Everytime I go to the range with my pistols I take at least one rifle.

Thanks Bawanna. Coming from you the grip maker that means a lot. That stock on the Garand is actually from Boyds gun stocks. It was unfinished when I bought it. It has been meticulously fit and finished to that particular rifle. I have more than a few days invested in that stock. The finish is hand rubbed dark walnut stain,Tung oil and wax . There is not one speck of lacquer or urethane on that rifle. It really was a labor of love. And yes I'm really quite proud of the way it turned out.:D

I do love shooting pumpkins with that shooty at 30'. Makes me giggle like a school girl.

wyntrout
04-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I keep the chamber empty in my semi-auto, too, and all I have to do is pull the bolt to the rear and let 'er go... ready to shoot. I just keep the 5 in the tube. I thought of adding an extender but that's illegal on the imported shotgun, and 2 more rounds I can add as I go from the bandolier.

Wynn:)

Planedude
04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Back in the days when I had young kiddos at home, I kept a Mossburg 20gage cruiser around as a house gun. I had a kid proof hidy hole for it and the pistols stayed in the safe.
I had a five round mag on the gun, kept the chamber empty. In the mag i kept it topped with a #8 skeet up first, rounds 2 & 3 were 00 buck shot and 4 & 5 were the old 7/8oz BRI sabot slugs (remember them?).
That first round would'nt get thru the wall board if I missed while excited for the first shot. The sabots slugs were the coolest. They were hourglass shaped and were very accurate. The maddest I ever made a range officer was the time I shot two rounds off a sandbag rest at 100 yards. I hit the old B-27 target center of mass and in the nuts holding about 2ft high over the "head" on the target. The old boy running the range would not belive I was hitting the target with a pistol gripped 20 gage. At shorter ranges those slugs would hit right on my point of aim inside 25yards while bringing a whole lot to the party. My brother hit the 2x4 of the target holder one day with the BRI slug. Everyone there wanted to know about my "exploding ammo" as the 2x4 blew up and the 15yard target just fell over. I miss those BRI rounds, anyone know if anybody is making them to the same design anymore??
I traded that shotgun and cash for my first 1911 and it still is the best deal I ever made. My wife hated that gun and could'nt/would'nt shoot it even in self defence. Funny thing is now she shoots her 11-87 Remington 12 gage with 1 1/8th oz trap loads like they are nothing. We shoot at the clubs comp shoots and in a tuesday night leage. She will shoot a 100 rounds a day, 250 rounds in some weeks now...
...And by the way, if she yelling at you STOP while holding that Shotgun, I would really listen to her and do it.
Yes a 20gage is enough for home defence. Pick your ammo well.

yote
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Not really sold on the flex system.

My Remington 870 barrels are easy enough to change and swap. The stock can be removed and replaced in 10 to 15 minutes (or less). The forend is a tougher to change out, but not impossible.