PDA

View Full Version : first the 2nd Admendment, now the 1st

TheTman
04-23-2012, 01:59 PM
After years of chipping away our 2nd admendment rights, now they are attacking our 1st admendment rights, making it a FELONY to protest in places where the secret service says you can't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7SGWH3kirzg&vq=medium

ZardozCZ
04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
You still have the right to think silently to yourself, until the chipplants arrive at least. Not so far away maybe.

TheTman
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
This bill strikes at the very core of what it is to be an American, our right to free speech. Is it going to get to the point where the Komandant sees FOX NEWS on the side of a camera and has them arrested for "protesting". What kills me is I guess this thing sailed through both houses with bipartisanship support and nary a word of it until it's signed into law. You'd think the press would be all over this since it could affect their livelyhood, but I've not heard a peep out of them.
One of the few times I agree with the ACLU:
http://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/how-big-deal-hr-347-criminalizing-protest-bill

muggsy
04-25-2012, 04:29 PM
After years of chipping away our 2nd admendment rights, now they are attacking our 1st admendment rights, making it a FELONY to protest in places where the secret service says you can't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7SGWH3kirzg&vq=medium

Dear Muggsy:

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding H.R.347, the Federal Restricted Buildings Act.

Signed into law on March 8th, the Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act passed the House by a vote of 399-3, and was passed by unanimous consent in the Senate. Recently, several Ohioans have voiced concerns that this bill will infringe upon the rights of protesters who are legally assembled.

Prior to the passage of the Federal Restricted Buildings Act, it was illegal to enter buildings and grounds that the President or Vice President were visiting or were about to visit. The White House and the Naval Observatory — the Vice President’s residence — were not expressly included in the law. As such, the Secret Service reported it was difficult to prosecute someone who jumped the White House or the Naval Observatory fences because current law did not expressly make the action of jumping the fence without a weapon or malicious intent illegal. This bill was simply meant to close the loophole and include the White House and Naval Observatory on the list of restricted grounds. This law will not impede upon the ability to legal protest.

I have supported legislation to protect the rights of Americans to peacefully assemble to protest government action. I will closely monitor the implementation of this law to ensure that the rights of Americans are not infringed.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

(Only my name was changed to protect the innocent.)

JohnR
04-25-2012, 07:23 PM
It prohibits disorderly or disruptive conduct near the prez and the next three in line for the throne.

(1) the term `restricted buildings or grounds' means any posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area--

`(A) of the White House or its grounds, or the Vice President's official residence or its grounds;

`(B) of a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting; or

`(C) of a building or grounds so restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance. :confused:

muggsy
04-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Believe me John, if I ever decide to engage in a protest, the president will hear me.

les strat
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM
It covers anyone under protection of the secret service. Anyone the pres want to have covered is off limits. The president doesn't have to be there. That definitley distances the people that need an earfull. Felony though?