PDA

View Full Version : Conceal Carry Holster Choices

Dozer
09-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I am interested in knowing what everyone uses to carry concealed. I didn't think that the holster choice would be as difficult as the weapon choice.:confused: My daily carry is a K40. There is not a big selection locally (New Mexico) for good holsters, especially for Kahr handguns. I have a mitch rosen open top purchased from Kahr Shops last year, a belt slide and an IWB from Fist. I shoot right handed, but got the Fist left handed to use as a SOB holster. In hot weather I find myself using the Fist most often because it is the most convenient and best at concealing. It is a clip on that is working well so far. I don't wear is in the center back, more off to the side for comfort, especially while sitting. In the colder seasons, the mitch rosen is comfortable (just not easily removed). The issue with removing my piece before entering a restaurant that serves booze will (hopefully!) go away when the powers that be wake up and realize that unattended guns in cars are bad.:eek: Tell me what you have and where you got it.

Thanks,
Dozer

Dogman
09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I am interested in knowing what everyone uses to carry concealed. I didn't think that the holster choice would be as difficult as the weapon choice.:confused: My daily carry is a K40. There is not a big selection locally (New Mexico) for good holsters, especially for Kahr handguns. I have a mitch rosen open top purchased from Kahr Shops last year, a belt slide and an IWB from Fist. I shoot right handed, but got the Fist left handed to use as a SOB holster. In hot weather I find myself using the Fist most often because it is the most convenient and best at concealing. It is a clip on that is working well so far. I don't wear is in the center back, more off to the side for comfort, especially while sitting. In the colder seasons, the mitch rosen is comfortable (just not easily removed). The issue with removing my piece before entering a restaurant that serves booze will (hopefully!) go away when the powers that be wake up and realize that unattended guns in cars are bad.:eek: Tell me what you have and where you got it.

Thanks,
Dozer

I like the Bianchi Shadow II, and a mini slide I got from the NRA store.
I got my Shadow II from Packin' Heat Leather (http://www.packinheatleather.com) they have some of the best prices that I've found and a wide selection to chose from.
Oh by the way buying the gun is the easy part.

P40
09-06-2009, 09:25 PM
...copied my reply from Thread "Other holster that fir Kahr"

Just got my first Kahr, a P40. Arrived on my B-day 3 weeks ago and I could not find any holsters local that fit the P40 "just right". If it was big enough to fit, it was too loose to feel secure. The Kahr shop has what appears to be some good choices & I found a few others online that were just out of my budget considering the new purchase + ammo I bought. I found some mediocre ones online I almost pulled the trigger on but still was unsure about satisfaction.

Then I decided to tackle making my own. I just finished making one in Kydex yesterday that is VERY comfortable. So far it has exceeded my expectations by far and I think is better than what I found for sale, maybe because I made it just the way I wanted. I am going to wear it this weekend and see if it needs anymore tweaks & adjustments, but I think it is going to be a winner.

I can post some pictures if anyone wants to see it? :confused:

huckleberry
09-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Here is what I use. I just got it this week.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/huckleberry-albums-little-bear-holsters-picture36-holster-002.jpg

huckleberry
09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Little Bear Custom Holsters - I am not one to sit around and talk about myself but here it goes.My name is Dave Galloway, I built this company after leaving the military/law enforcement, in 2006, after 10 years. I have extensive small a (http://littlebearholsters.com/)

casecloer44
09-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Look at Barsony holsters. He is on ebay . I have bought 10 IWB holsters from him in the past 4yrs. (for different guns) I think they are great! Very comfortable.

Dozer
09-07-2009, 07:23 AM
P40 - I am interested in seeing photos of your homemade holster. I have no idea how to make a usable holster out of kydex or leather or anything else for that matter. If fabricating your own holster is easy, you could potentially save a lot of money... and I believe most people are interested in saving money

P40
09-07-2009, 08:53 AM
This is it, I am very happy with the results. Wore it all weekend in and out of the truck, stores, etc. Was able to wear it 100% of the time with complete comfort. Much better than I expected once I shaped it just right. P40 smoothly snaps into place with no effort because the retention is adjustable. The belt clip angle is adjustable (cantable) while I wear it which I would adjust anytime I sat or stood. That's what contributed the the comfort more than anything else. It also lends to the conceal factor depending on what I was doing. It was also the hardest part to make. I think you could wear with shirt tucked in but I almost never do that anyway so I have not tried. Hopefully the pictures posted correctly. What do you think? :cool:

Dozer, it was not too hard to make, just took significant amount of time to finish it out just right. Materials are cheap but I can see why manufactures charge so much after seeing how much time it took. Some of that was learning curve too of course.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu222/ENSRA/Kahr%20holster/03.jpg

Dozer
09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Nice job P40! Looks very professional. Let us know how it stands up to constant use. Also, I'd like to see how using the holster will wear on the gun. Stainless should wear well. So... how much will you charge to make one for a K40??

P40
09-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Thank you! I will, I don't anticipate any wear on the gun, if anything the holster. Honestly I expected the Kydex to get scratched up inside but so far nothing.

I am toying with the making and selling idea because the results are so good and that would be fun. The issue I don't know how to overcome is, I only have my 3 handguns (1 Kahr) to mold one from (I don't have a K40 to use or I would accommodate you). I guess I need to find some more friends :D

Dozer
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
P40, I don't suppose you live in New Mexico?

P40
09-07-2009, 12:48 PM
No, Central Texas. :(

ltxi
09-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Tell me what you have and where you got it.

Dozer

Mitch Rosen Clipper, straight drop IWB clip-on, got it from Kahr. I can easily get some cant into it on my 1 1/4" gun belts if I wish. Personally quite fond of Mitch Rosen leather in general and, express line or not, at $65 this one is a stone bargain. Fit, construction, and finish better than my Alessi.

casecloer44
09-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Have anyone ever tried the "smart carry" or thunder pants? They seam a little far out there but a guy walked into my friends gun store the other day and come to find out he was packin' a full size 1911!

MattTheKnife
09-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I use either an Alessi Talon Plus or a leather holster I made that functions like a Galco NSA (with a "tuckable" option). I use these the most and love them both.

I also use an Alessi ankle holster and a Galco shoulder system.

1sleekMK40
09-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey P40 great looking holster! What was the cost and time involved, I was thinking the other day maybe I should make my own.. By the way I'm not to far from central Texas too....

hdawson
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Itxi. Just received my Mitch Rosen holster. What a great fine leather aroma! He makes great products. This may be the first of his for the Kahr with the CT laser attached. After some minor leather stretching by me, the fit is now pert near purfect for my CW9 with laser.:D

ltxi
09-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Itxi. Just received my Mitch Rosen holster. What a great fine leather aroma! He makes great products. This may be the first of his for the Kahr with the CT laser attached. After some minor leather stretching by me, the fit is now pert near purfect for my CW9 with laser.:D

Glad to hear you like it...I have the same fondness for the scent of good leather. I also really appreciate the thin metal insert sandwiched into the mouth reinforcement. As the holster wears in you can just squeeze a bit to snug it up to your liking. I can hold this upside down and shake it, reasonably, with a loaded MK9 and the gun won't fall out...but it still draws smoothly.

zena
09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I carry my PM9 in a Don Hume IWB leather. The gun is snug but draws smoothly. At 5' 4" and 118lbs it's hard for me to always conceal it and I carry in a pocket holster in my purse. I really hate not having the gun on my body. Any other "fun size" (I hate the word petite) women out there with holsters that work well?

P40
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey P40 great looking holster! What was the cost and time involved, I was thinking the other day maybe I should make my own.. By the way I'm not to far from central Texas too....

Thank you! I think materials only for that was just under $10, not including shipping of course. It did take me several hours to get it just right but that was my first one and there was a bit of a learning curve of course. I can say I understand why those companies charge so much now if they are doing anything by hand like I was, it does take up time.

If you are thinking of making one so you know I also made an investment hardware/tools I used. You don't HAVE to buy the hardware/tools that I did especially if you just want to make one or two, but it made it easier than me making my own press, etc. I plan on making several more for my other handguns, pocket holsters, one mounted in the truck, for flashlights, etc. So for me to buy all those retail would have been $$, plus being able to make something not on the market like the truck mount made the investment worthy for me.

You can PM me if you might be interested in me making one for you, I am near Austin. I am considering doing it for some friends already, hopefully I can cut down on the time factor.

jignjam
09-09-2009, 10:58 AM
What about pocket holsters? I'm thinking about getting one, but not sure which one and if they're comfortable. Which one do any of you use and likes or dislikes about them?

1sleekMK40
09-09-2009, 12:18 PM
PM sent! Thanks

Dozer
09-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Have anyone ever tried the "smart carry" or thunder pants? They seam a little far out there but a guy walked into my friends gun store the other day and come to find out he was packin' a full size 1911!

I too am interested in finding out what others think about the smart carry and thunderwear holsters. They are both essentially the same, and appear to have the necessary qualities for deep concealment. I believe that they would work with wearing nothing but shorts! My only concern is how comfortable they would be when sitting.:eek: I guess you could position the gun so that it is comfortable, but I have a hard time imagining any comfort with a full size. Does anyone have experience wearing one of these styles of holsters?

gabell
09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Mitch Rosen 5JR EXP

gabell
09-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Mitch Rosen 5JR EXP for my P45

Kahr54
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
DeSantis Model 86 belt slide holster for OWB and a Cross Breed super tuck for IWB. Both are very comfortable and conceal my CW45 very well. Cross Breed has a link on this forum.

NavJAG06
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Dave at Littlebear Holsters in Jacksonville Florida is an outstanding individual and makes great products. Visited him last week to have him make a customized IWB horsehide holster for my Sig P239. He is extremely reasonable and treats the customer right.

turkeybuzzard
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Has anyone found an ankle holster that will work with the P380,or any other good concealed carry holsters for it.

coelacanth
09-10-2009, 05:28 PM
I carry my P45 in a SmartCarry. I first made my own for an XD45, but it didn't really fit all that well with my frame or wardrobe. With my time as tight as it is, I ordered a SmartCarry in white for my P45. I use it w/ elastic waist band pants quite effectively. It can ride up a little after sitting for a while, but I think I'm readjusting in a demure enough fashion. I did have to draw once from it when I was in cond. white... That wasn't pretty, cuz I had jeans on w/ a heavy belt. Seems that holding a flashlight w/ my left hand, undoing my belt w/ my right, and drawing really takes some time... then my pants fall down. Elastic waistbands from here on out w/ my SmartCarry! It's a must have for absolute concealment in the warm weather.

bayoutrigger
09-12-2009, 11:43 AM

I went through a few IWB holsters before settling on the smartcarry. It is very comfortable. Don't worry about the "bulge". With most pants there isn't a bulge and with the pants that do have a slight bulge the person shouldn't be looking down there anyway.

Dozer
09-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I went through a few IWB holsters before settling on the smartcarry. It is very comfortable. Don't worry about the "bulge". With most pants there isn't a bulge and with the pants that do have a slight bulge the person shouldn't be looking down there anyway.

Bayoutrigger - what gun do you carry in the smartcarry? How is it when sitting or driving?

Singlestack_9mm
09-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I just got my Fist K5 and 1AK with body protector. I am very happy. Very nice fit and finish and super thin. Only took 2 weeks to receive.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4329.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4326.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4312.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4311.jpg

Singlestack_9mm
09-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Allesi talon plus

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4319.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4321.jpg

cmichael
09-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Nice holster....Where do you order from? Do they have one for Kahr K40?
Thanks..

Singlestack_9mm
09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Nice holster....Where do you order from? Do they have one for Kahr K40?
Thanks..

I got it from kahr. They got a limited # of them about month ago. You will have to call them to see if they have any left. You wont find it on thier website. It's a great holster.

LaVere
09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
The first photo is hard to see but it is me with outside the belt with Milt Sparks holster.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2559/3946051372_2003ee6317_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/3946039724_7514369f8f.jpg

Holster is from Kahr.

lefty
09-23-2009, 05:51 PM
I got a Khostler for my CW45. Wear it daily and love it. Goggle up Khoster and look at their website.

Kahr54
09-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I got a Khostler for my CW45. Wear it daily and love it. Goggle up Khoster and look at their website.

Yah spelled it wrong twice !! It's 'KHOLSTER' and from the looks of their product it is similar to the crossbreed supertuck but with a lot of extra holes that you can attach the belt clips to. Not sayin' good or bad about it. As I am satisfied with my supertuck I probably won't give the kholster another look. But I am sure some folks would appreciate the extra mounting options.

bikerbill
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I carry my PM9 mostly in strong side pocket ... I have a Mika pocket holster and also a DeSantis Nemesis, I highly recommend both, they stay where they belong and ensure you're not printing .. for outside carry, I use a Fobus kydex paddle holster, strong side, I love it ..

Dietrich
09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
For my Kahr PM9 I use a crossbreed minituck when I carry it IWB. Crossbreed Supertucks for all other cc pistols. For pocket carry for my J frame and the PM9,I use a local holster maker here in N.C. called Wild Bills Holsters.