PDA

View Full Version : Crack?

Dukerdog
04-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey guys, wanted to post this to see what your thoughts were. New MK 9, I posted a range report the other day and when I was cleaning her I noticed a crack or blemish by the magazine well. See the photo. (Hope you can see it).

http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff361/Dukerdog/Kahr/ (http://s1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff361/Dukerdog/Kahr/)

I called Kahr and was instructed to send an e-mail and my picture. With in 5 minutes I received an e-mail back with a prepaid FedEx return slip from them to return the firearm, magazine and a letter stating my concerns.

I will keep everyone in the loop. So far I am sad to see it go but very happy with the customer service so far.
Marc

Bawanna
04-26-2012, 09:09 AM
You'll be getting a new frame on that deal without question. Never seen one crack there before but don't mean it's never happened either.

It's a great gun and will be worth the weight although I feel your pain.

zamboni
04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
yup. my mk9 has no marks in that area, so yours sure looks like a crack.

Tinman507
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry you're having issues with it. Kahr will make it right for sure.

kerby9mm
04-27-2012, 05:40 AM
I have a mk9 & mk40. I was curious as to the serial#. Mine is GC51XX. Just was wondering the DOB.

dkmatthews
04-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Whoa... So sorry for your troubles, partner. That really stinks but I'm sure Kahr will take care of you.

Dukerdog
05-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Hey guys,

Just an update. I sent the pistol in 4-27-12. Called 5-1-12 to make sure it was received and 5-8-12 to see status. Nothing so far. I was told it should be looked at soon and there is a 2 to 3 week turn around time. I asked for them to call me prior to just sending out. Do you guys think it is out of line to request something for the
inconvenience like a hat or something. Just a thought.
Marc

SweetKnuckles
07-28-2012, 02:47 PM
For what its worth, I had an MK9 that developed a frame crack in the same area.

Bought the pistol used and immediately upon grip removal for detailed cleaning, I noticed a crack in the rear bottom magwell.

Previous owner only shot factory ammo, but used 7 round mag most of the time, and it's my theory that a batch of weak metal and that extra torque produced in that thin area is what caused the crack.

Kahr replaced the frame.

Orig thread here:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=35&t=79042

*hope not against TOS to post link to another forum, but I registered here today for the sole purpose of sharing the experience and didn't want that to be misinterpreted as trolling.

FWIW, I still own the pistol, and am a Kahr fan

Redstate
07-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Dukerdog, any update?

Redstate
07-28-2012, 09:19 PM
SweetKnuckles, how is your replacment frame holding up and about how many rounds through it?

KURTV
09-05-2012, 01:37 PM
My MK9 has the crack in the base of the magwell also.
The guy in service that answered the phone said he had never heard of that happening before. ??

Kirby, Mine is GC58XX

Kurt

jocko
09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
if the magwell base has a crack in it, I would photo it and sent it to kahr. they were not made that way,..

jocko
09-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,

Just an update. I sent the pistol in 4-27-12. Called 5-1-12 to make sure it was received and 5-8-12 to see status. Nothing so far. I was told it should be looked at soon and there is a 2 to 3 week turn around time. I asked for them to call me prior to just sending out. Do you guys think it is out of line to request something for the
inconvenience like a hat or something. Just a thought.
Marc

hurts to ask, ur frame will have to go to a ffl dealer nearby and be reregistered. Wasthis a new gun??Used gun?? or what.. #1 areu sure it is a crack and maybe not a scratch???Just askin. Some fine 600+ grip paper rubbed there willtakeaway a scratch but not a crack.

wyntrout
09-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Good photos of all sides of the crack are very helpful with establishing that it is indeed a crack. It can be hard to get the focus just right, especially with auto-focus engaged and it keeps focusing on anything but what you would like! I take a lot and try to focus using the little auto-focus boxes as well as what I actually see clearly in the display. I'll start a slow release actuation and then adjust the range after the focus is frozen for clearest picture.

Wynn:)

JERRY
09-05-2012, 02:47 PM
if they re-issue the same SN to a new frame and destroy the cracked one they can send it back directly to the owner without ffl.

jocko
09-05-2012, 02:52 PM
kahr does not do that.. it willhave a different number. my understanding from kahr is that a serial numberon a gun lives and dies with that gun. I know kel tek used to restamp a new frame with the old number, so u have two different stories, but for kahr it will be a new number. and there fore have to be sent to a ffl dealer.. whcih then should be rereigestered..

wyntrout
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Been there, done that... new frame=new registration, new fee... depending on your FFL. You can shop around for FFL. Most online sites like Gunbroker.com have search engines that can find closest FFLs by zip code and list other info like hours and fees.

Wynn:)

KURTV
09-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I didn't take any pictures before I sent my everyday carry gun off to the good people at Kahr.
Scratches don't open and close when I grip my gun.

Kurt

JERRY
09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
damn, a faulty part costs you ffl tranfer fees to get the probem fixed and put back in your hands?! thats a crappy deal and i dont mean fish. they should at least toss in a new magazine to help off set the ffl fees you will have to pay.

seed
11-25-2014, 12:58 AM
My first post and I know this is a relatively dinosaur thread. But I wanted to give my thoughts to the development of the MK frame cracks that used to occur. I have a MK-40 elite98, as well as an early PM-9, both of which I've had for over ten years. My thoughts way back when on this matter is that the crack possibly developed on some examples when using the extended mags that go past the well. Upon firing, the recoil and specifically the muzzle flip is counteracted by the pinky of the shooting hand (aided by the support hand) firmly countering the flip, in an area past the bottom of the frame. At this critical moment, a lot of leveraged stress is violently being pressed against the back of the well for each and every shot. It is a weak point back there and if for any reason the fatigue of multiple shots is too much in this area, a crack can form at the weak point. It obviously doesn't happen to every example, but if it is going to happen, the above scenario will certainly expedite its occurrence and progress.

So one can just use flush mags, or they can do their best to avoid placing counter force on the bottom leading edge of the extended mags. One way to do this is to slip your shooting hand pinky over your support hand knuckles. This will create a two finger hold, rather than a three - the third no longer touching the protruding bottom portion of the mag.

Just an idea. Even if your gun does not display the crack developing, it might be a good idea to avoid possibly encouraging one to develop.