PDA

View Full Version : Seecamp 32 Auto

scotty_MK9
04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Found a used seecamp 32 yesterday and i wanted it really bad but two problems: one is that it was priced 499.00 is that a fair price? External condition looked good but the second thing is the slide was unbelievably sticky and gritty. To the point where i pulled it back a couple times and it stayed like that!

The guy at the store said he would hold it for me till the gu smith there checks it out. I personally think either whoever owned it never lubed the rails or maybe something wrong with the recoil spring...

So what do u all think? And does anyone here own a seecamp? This is the first time i ever saw one in person...

kerby9mm
04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I have been reading about those lately and their website says like $475 new. They are supposed to be quality like a swiss watch. The recoil springs don't last long. The one you handled from what you described seems neglected. Odd for a gun store to leave it that way and try to sell it.

ripley16
04-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I've had a Seecamp for many years. One thing many people may not know about the Seecamp is that the magazine must be inserted in the pistol in order to retract the slide. If you removed the mag to rack the slide, then you damaged the gun. It will require a new spring, and maybe a trigger bar.

There is no slide lock. To examine a Seecamp you must insert the mag up to about 1/4" of the length... then pull the slide and hold open.

I see used Seecamps for around $400, sometimes a bit less for an older model. Around serial # 35000 the material used was upgraded to a higher quality steel, not that the old steel was faulty mind you.

I've been very happy with my Seecamp. It is very small, reliable and easy to conceal. It requires very little care. I shoot about 100 rounds a year, sometimes less. The recoil spring should be replaced every few hundred rounds or so. I've gone many hundreds before I learned this without any problem. The recoil spring is very cheap, only a few bucks. Other parts for it are cheap and easy to get.

The .32ACP Seecamp uses only rounds that fit in the mag. These include Gold Dot, Fiocchi 60 gr HP, Silver Tip, Hydro Shock and a couple more.

Here's a comparison shot. Remarkable in that the mag holds 6 rounds, + 1 in the chamber, only one less than the Walther.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/PPKandSeecamp.jpg

FrankFuss
04-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Found a used seecamp 32 yesterday and i wanted it really bad but two problems: one is that it was priced 499.00 is that a fair price?
That is not a fair price for being used. You can get one new in the box unopened on GunBroker for that price. Maybe $300 would be fair, given that it is in questionable condition.

I have had three Seecamps (two 32s and one 380). The quality can depend on the specific gun. The gun design is unquestionably remarkable, but the execution is sometimes lacking from my experience.

kerby9mm
04-29-2012, 05:50 PM
That is something I would have never even imagined about the mag out and damaging the gun. Do you happen to know why all that damage with the mag out?

ripley16
04-29-2012, 05:56 PM
It's the way it was designed. The gun is very simple in construction and the magazine functions as an integral piece, preventing one of the springs, the drawbar spring, from distorting. It sounds odd, but owners know these things and owners are careful about letting people handle their Seecamps.

Seecamp magazines are a work of art... the best in the gun world.

Tons of info at the website and on the forum. Larry Seecamp, a gracious gentleman by the way, openly participates on the forum.
http://seecamp.com/

TheTman
04-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I hear many a cop used those as a BUG on their ankle. For less $$ you can get a Beretta Tomcat in .32, with the tip up barrel, so you don't have to rack the slide to chamber a round, which is nice for those with impaired hands. The trouble with the .32 is that you can get "rimlock" due to the rim being bigger than the cartridge and get jams because of that. Sometimes the rim of the top cartridge will get locked behind the rim of the cartridge below and cause the rimlock (FTF). You don't have that problem with a .380 and up.

ripley16
04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
The Seecamp does not suffer from rimlock. The magazine has a spacer that keeps the rounds in their proper place and this is why the ammo is limited to blunt nosed hollow points or truncated jacketed bullets.

scotty_MK9
04-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Ya in my opinion it was pretty high on price.. What sucks is its either get that or buy online which i hate doing. (dont ask me why) and this is the ONLY one i have ever seen locally. I guess i will wait and see what the gun smith says then maybe try to talk them down sinse im a frequent customer there.

Ya that makes sense about the trigger bar because i also noticed the trigger pull seems really light compared to my old 32 NAA Guardian.

FrankFuss
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
If you buy on GunBroker from a high volume dealer with positive feedback, then you are not risking much. I bought a Seecamp LWS380 on GunBroker from a high volume dealer on a Monday, used a credit card, and I had the gun in my hands by Friday. You can also order from the factory with a wait time of only a few months for a LWS32. The MSRP is only $446.25, so a used gun at $400 is no bargain, even if it is in perfect condition.

scotty_MK9
04-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Ok well i will call tomorrow to see what they found out. Also i will tell them 350 or no deal cuz if seecamp sells them for 450 then i would be payin 50 more then a new one which is BS. who knows maybe they priced it wrong or something...

Thanks guys.

FrankFuss
04-29-2012, 09:01 PM
At one time Seecamps use to sell for a high premium because of the high demand, and the limited number of other quality pocket pistols. Some people remember this and place an unreasonable high value on their Seecamps given today's supply and demand, and the many other options for good pocket pistols.

scotty_MK9
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Well i took u guys advise and ended up tellin them i didnt want it. Just called Seecamp and put down a 130 dollar deposit for a 32 auto. Also thinkin bout getting a customised serial number which is an extra 30 dollars. Anyways the total comes out to like 460.00 which is only ten more then they wanted at kesselrings.

Anyone who wants a used seecamp 32 that lives in WA (bawanna) check out kesselrings and maybr try to talk them down... They are usually reasonable. I just figured why not get a new one!

Barth
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Well i took u guys advise and ended up tellin them i didnt want it. Just called Seecamp and put down a 130 dollar deposit for a 32 auto. Also thinkin bout getting a customised serial number which is an extra 30 dollars. Anyways the total comes out to like 460.00 which is only ten more then they wanted at kesselrings.

Anyone who wants a used seecamp 32 that lives in WA (bawanna) check out kesselrings and maybr try to talk them down... They are usually reasonable. I just figured why not get a new one!

I'd go for the customized serial number.
But I guess everyone already knew that - LOL!

JFootin
04-30-2012, 03:15 PM
I think I'd spend some time studying the owner's manual before I started messing with the gun. :ohmy:

scotty_MK9
04-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Jfootin- Any input on the guns quirks i should know of? I already know what ammo to get and not to pull slide back when magazine is out. I dont like dry firing guns so that wont be a problem. I also still have two months before i even get it to do my homework on the lovely seecamp

kerby9mm
04-30-2012, 05:43 PM
The Seecamp Forum has a Utube demo on how to break it down

ripley16
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Just called Seecamp and put down a 130 dollar deposit for a 32 auto.

Very neat gun. The new ones produced on the CNC tools are very well made. I have an old "C" serial number Seecamp, more hand made than not.

You may want to start a search for a pocket holster now as some makers have a waiting list. I have a Hedley holster that I like very much. Hedley and Seecamp were two peas in a pod, both dedicated to excellence. Hedley's daughter carries on his tradition.
http://hedleyholsters.com/

The pistol requires a tool to take apart, so you may want to read up on that, both what to have on hand and how to dismantle the gun.

Parts and magazines are available directly from Seecamp. It may be a good idea to buy a couple recoil springs. I think they are $3.50 each. I think the gun comes with only one mag.

The gun comes with a warranty, but it is noted on the forum that no Seecamp, not purposefully abused, has ever been refused warranty service. I can attest to that, when I sent in my 1986, much used and carried LWS32 back to the factory a few years ago. No charge. I was impressed.

I usually shoot Winchester Silver Tips, mainly because I can buy them in 50 mround boxes. Gold Dots have always worked well. I stay away from Corbon. Hornady works well but the soft lead tip deforms upon loading. I'm not sure that's a problem but it always made me wonder.

Here's my Hedley with the Seecamp and a mag pouch.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Seecamp/pocketpistol.jpg

How small is a .32 or .380 Seecamp? Here is a .380, same size as the .32 with a well known competitor.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Seecamp/380380.jpg

JFootin
04-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I have no personal experience with them. I was just saying, what with that deal about it breaking if you rack the slide with the mag out, I'd read that manual real carefully.

scotty_MK9
04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Ripley16- thanks for all the good info. I will look into getting a holster for it. I really the that mag holster of yours. Very nice. I will cruise over to the seecamp forum within the next couple days. Dont worry tho... Kahr is still number 1 in my heart lol.

340pd
05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
It is not as fragile as everyone thinks. This is a Rolex. Dry firing with the mag out can cause drawbar issues. Leaving the mag part way in solves all issues. There was a extra drawbar in the box with my new gun. It is also not as ammo fussy as everyone says. Go to the Seecamp website and you will get great info on the forum pages. Lot's of holster options.

http://seecamp.com/

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/Seecamp.jpg

scotty_MK9
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
How does the 380 compare? It seems balistics are probably similar because of the timy barrell length. Im sure the recoil spring would have to be changed more often as well

ripley16
05-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I've never fired a .380, but most everyone describes the event as violent/ painful, just as one would expect. The recoil spring on the .380 does require more frequent changing, but the .380 Seecamp isn't a gun one would put loads of rounds through.

FrankFuss
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I put about 175 rounds through my LWS .380 before I sold it. Actually, with mag extensions (see the Seecamp forums for the source) and a bandage on your finger, the LWS .380 was fun to shoot. The recoil was hard on the magazine followers (I had one break). Silvertips would keyhole, but Hydra Shocks were more accurate (these are the only two recommended rounds). The recoil springs needed replacement after 100-150 rounds (they are only $4, so no big deal). I sold it because I found it higher maintenance than my LWS .32, and I decided to go with a Kahr P380 with +P ammo, if I want something more than the LWS .32.

jocko
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I've never fired a .380, but most everyone describes the event as violent/ painful, just as one would expect. The recoil spring on the .380 does require more frequent changing, but the .380 Seecamp isn't a gun one would put loads of rounds through.

it is a gun to shoot seldom and carry often, where as the P380 is a gu that for me is not painful to shoot, actually a fun gun for me to shoot. Certainloy a more duralbe gun than the seecamp, but the seecamp is a nice quality built gun to, and oh yes small.

mr surveyor
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I've been lusting for a LWS32 for a long time. Don't "need" one... I want one. Just don't want to pay for the ammo. Reloading would certainly be an option with the right style projectiles. I like to shoot my guns:)

scotty_MK9
07-02-2012, 03:48 PM
So i finally got my Seecamp! It was a two month wait. They even paid my transfer fee so when i got to my dealer i just waited for my bg check and i was off.

I also paid the extra 35.00 to get my name as the serial number which i thought was pretty cool.

I bought two boxes of Gold Dots and went to range. Put 30 rounds and no problems at all. Love the little piece! It was a bit of a pain to field strip at first but that was the only negative in an overall pleasant experience.

Who knows maybe ill get another sometime... I will post a pic of it tomorrow.

mr surveyor
07-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Scotty.... I'll give you 200 bucks for it (all small bills and solid money), and you can even leave your name on it:)

scotty_MK9
07-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Mr surveyor- thanks for the offer but i think ill be keepin this liitle guy. I have wanted one for the last five years or so but i always thought even the 32 was like a year wait. I never thought to check and when i found out it was two months, jumped all over it!

I must say... Its nice having a TINY mouse gun in small caliber that actually WORKS like intended lol. i have always been interested in mouse guns but its hard to find ones that are actually reliable.

ripley16
07-03-2012, 04:53 AM
So i finally got my Seecamp! It was a bit of a pain to field strip at first but that was the only negative in an overall pleasant experience.

Even after doing this many times over many years, I still fumble around taking the slide off. I even made a dedicated tool to make it easier. The main thing to remember... don't rack the slide without a mag inserted.

Is that magazine a work of art or what !! :D

Ljutic
07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Mr surveyor- thanks for the offer but i think ill be keepin this liitle guy. I have wanted one for the last five years or so but i always thought even the 32 was like a year wait. I never thought to check and when i found out it was two months, jumped all over it!

I must say... Its nice having a TINY mouse gun in small caliber that actually WORKS like intended lol. i have always been interested in mouse guns but its hard to find ones that are actually reliable.

Congrats. I am also quite fond of the LWS32 and 380. One tip on cleaning. Make sure the underside of the slide clears the top of the barrel when putting the slide back on. I put a nice stripe down the top of my 32 by not paying attention. Best practice is to put a piece of scotch tape on the top of the barrel if you are super worried about scratching it accidentally.

scotty_MK9
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Ripley-

Thats funny because i ended up using my bluetooth charger to depress the slide off haha. Whatever works right?

Yep i have heard thats a big no no to rack slide without mag inserted. I saw one at a lgs where someone did that and the trigger was all messed up... I am thinkin bout gettin another mag or two cuz yes they are a work of art