PDA

View Full Version : Gun cleaning kit & break-in question

hrtbreaker
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
A couple of questions please...

Waiting on new CM9 to arrive.

I've read about the 200 round break-in recommendation.
Is that firing 200 rounds or is racking the slide 200 times equivalent?

Regarding cleaning...I don't have any gun cleaning products at home. Is their a kit I should buy to get the bore brush, cleaner, lube, etc? Or should I buy products individually? Any products recommended?

I read that a lot of people are using the 3M spray cleaner from NAPA auto parts. It sounds like no one has had problems with this brake cleaner.

What other products are recommended? Dry lube or wet lube?

Thanks for all the great advice on the forum! This is a great resource and I appreciate everyone's assistance.

HenryinFlorida
05-01-2012, 09:24 PM
I bought an inexpensive universal kit from Walmart. It has what you need to clean the bores of most common pistols and rifles. I use it on my AR15 with .223 caliber barrel, as well as my 380APB, 9mm & 45ACP pistols. I picked up a package of wadding that is really just strips of Tee Shirt material, and then ordered some cleaning patches from Midway USA. I use CLP spray and Ballistol liquid To do my basic cleaning and lubricating, and use Weapon Shield oil on high friction areas as outlined in the oil charts on this site. A small brush is also helpfull for getting into corners. I use canned air (Compressed Gas Duster) to blow excess oil and filings out of all the hidden areas.

I do a through cleaning after every time I shoot any of my weapons.

I clean after every trip to the range.

OnTarget31
05-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Welcome! I think cleaning and lubing products end up being personal preference. I just use Hoppes lube oil and a little wilson combat ultima-lube grease on the rails. Poly safe gun scrubber is also what I use. IMO manually racking and actually firing the gun are way different, but manually racking will help loosen it up, but it's not as fun as actually shooting this little beauty! :D

Rubb
05-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Welcome,

It sounds like you may be new to this :)

I would recommend a simple pistol kit with a 1 piece rod, brass brush, slotted tip and a jag.
This (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593995/hoppes-pistol-cleaning-kit-38-9mm-caliber)and an old tooth brush would get you through and it’s cheap.

Optional ...

Real cotton patches (old t-shirt), generally the kit patches are crap IMO.

BreakFree CLP, cleans, lubes and protects.
The #9 solvent is good stuff and I use it for copper fouling occasionally.
The #9 oil does not protect too well but, does well as honing oil for the knife sharpening kit.

Q-Tips work great for those hard to reach places.

OldLincoln
05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I recommend reading and following the Proper Prep Thread (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521) in the KahrTech sub-forum with special attention to the lube chart (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=308) (with exception of Point 7 which shouldn't be there).

Kahr's initially generate a lot of friction during bresk-in so I recommend plenty of lube. Also a lot of success by hand racking before initial shooting helps reduce the friction.

Slide related malfunctions are mostly related to friction sapping energy from the slide action. So in addition to lube and racking, use factory round nose ammo for the first 50 - 100 rounds. It's worth it.