PDA

View Full Version : Done Waiting For An SR-1911!

Markis82
05-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I have been thinking about this...

I really want a Ruger SR-1911. However, I have been waiting and waiting for them to become readily available at a reasonable price. So far they are not. Since the time Ruger released the SR-1911 into the market, they have released at least 2 or 3 new pistols and 2 or 3 new rifles for sale. I would think, since they are not able to keep up with the demand for their current line, they wouldn't expand into new models until they have satisfied their backlog of orders. In essence they are taking away their ability to increase production of the SR-1911 by occupying their production facilities with the new designs. That is their business decision and I think it just stinks! They should be fulfilling their current commitments before introducing new guns! I do not like their idea of conducting business in this manner and have desided $&@?! Ruger! I will and have taken my business elsewhere. Today I bought a Kimber Custom II, (internal extractor) on-line. It will be shipped out today to my FFL and I should have it in a few days. Ruger has lost 1 fine customer!! Here is a picture I copied from the Internet. I will post some pics of mine when I receive it.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Markis82/photo-12.jpg

Barth
05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I've heard Kimber guns are fine pistols.
Have never owned one.
Will eventually have to own a 1911.
So I'm looking for a complete range report and pictures.

Markis82
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I've heard Kimber guns are fine pistols.
Have never owned one.
Will eventually have to own a 1911.
So I'm looking for a complete range report and pictures. I most certainly will. Unfortinatlly, my schedule is packed for the next week or two. So I won't be able to get to the range for a little while. But, I'll be sending some lead ASAP! Until then I'll clean it, look at it, polish it, baby it, and post some pic's.

Barth
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I most certainly will. Unfortinatlly, my schedule is packed for the next week or two. So I won't be able to get to the range for a little while. But, I'll be sending some lead ASAP! Until then I'll clean it, look at it, polish it, baby it, and post some pic's.

Sweet!
Savor these moments.
A quality handgun is something that lasts a lifetime.

And don't for get your Kahrtalk buddies.
We all live a little, vicariously, through each other.

O'Dell
05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Nice looking pistol - congratulations!

Bawanna
05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Word on the street is they are running 3 shifts 6 days a week in Prescott and quit taking orders in an attempt to catch up.

Many manufacturers advertise guns months before they even start production and usually it's at least a year before normal folks even see one, sometimes much much longer.

It isn't just Ruger. I do feel your pain, I really do and Kimber makes a dandy 1911 without question so your in good shape regardless.

Markis82
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Word on the street is they are running 3 shifts 6 days a week in Prescott and quit taking orders in an attempt to catch up.

Many manufacturers advertise guns months before they even start production and usually it's at least a year before normal folks even see one, sometimes much much longer.

It isn't just Ruger. I do feel your pain, I really do and Kimber makes a dandy 1911 without question so your in good shape regardless.Thanks! Yes I do understand that. But, how many of those other companies introduced at least 6 new guns during the same time they cannot fulfill their current orders. I know they all get backlogged. However, instead of an all out effort to get a product out, Ruger further bogged themselves down by releasing new guns. That's what is pissing me off. In this respect, Ruger is worse than Apple!

rjt123
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM

Also don't forget that 1.2 million challenge Ruger had going on for the NRA. That means that they made and shipped 1,200,000 firearms in one years' time!!!

From what I've heard, distributors are having trouble keeping stock on most everything. Folks are simply buying a TON of guns right now.

Longitude Zero
05-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Good choice. I would take Kimber 45ACP over a Ruger one EVERY time.

HenryinFlorida
05-08-2012, 04:09 PM
It makes me wonder why they bothered making the SR1911 if they weren't going to build enough of them. They have been out more than a year I think, and yet, they have never made enough to satisify demand. That is really poor planning. Even if they underestimated their popularity in the beginning, they should have been able to adjust to demand in a year.
I went on and bought a MetroArms American Classic II in January because I got tired of waiting for Ruger as well. I'm glad I did, It's a hell of a gun for $442 delivered from Buds.

Deano
05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
It makes me wonder why they bothered making the SR1911 if they weren't going to build enough of them. They have been out more than a year I think, and yet, they have never made enough to satisify demand. That is really poor planning. Even if they underestimated their popularity in the beginning, they should have been able to adjust to demand in a year.
I went on and bought a MetroArms American Classic II in January because I got tired of waiting for Ruger as well. I'm glad I did, It's a hell of a gun for $442 delivered from Buds.
That's the one I've just about decided to get. Did you get chrome or blued? I almost bought the Ruger, but waited a day or two too long, and then they were all gone.

Congrats the the OP on that Kimber. Looks like a fine weapon.

TucsonMTB
05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
It makes me wonder why they bothered making the SR1911 if they weren't going to build enough of them.
They are trying, honest. Ruger recently stopped accepting new orders, trying to catch up.

They have been out more than a year I think, and yet, they have never made enough to satisify demand. That is really poor planning. Even if they underestimated their popularity in the beginning, they should have been able to adjust to demand in a year.
You may be underestimating the investment necessary in CNC equipment to expand production. Have you seen the price tags on those machines? :eek:

Good for you! That's the right thing to do. After all, the Ruger is "just another 1911". Ya' seen one, you've seen 'em all . . . mostly. http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

Bawanna
05-08-2012, 05:39 PM
The only one in the whole wide world that says made in Prescott AZ US of A on the side.
And I'm relatively sure it actually is made there in full.
I could be wrong but if I am, please don't tell me. They already tell me Santa ain't real, that would be just too much.

I'll wait.

TucsonMTB
05-08-2012, 05:48 PM
The only one in the whole wide world that says made in Prescott AZ US of A on the side.
And I'm relatively sure it actually is made there in full.
Yep! And, the guys who build them are genuine 1911 enthusiasts with lots of 1911 experience before Ruger started building them. It's hard to develop people like that, which (along with the enormous investment in tooling necessary) makes it harder to "ramp up" production.

I could be wrong but if I am, please don't tell me. They already tell me Santa ain't real, that would be just too much.

I'll wait.
What surprises me is that they have not just raised the price to cut demand. I really appreciate that decision. Some of the other folks building guns you and I love have dramatically increased prices. Dan Wesson comes to mind . . . :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed they will hold the price point long enough for me to be able to buy one . . . being an Arizonan, after all.

HenryinFlorida
05-08-2012, 07:15 PM
That's the one I've just about decided to get. Did you get chrome or blued? I almost bought the Ruger, but waited a day or two too long, and then they were all gone.

Congrats the the OP on that Kimber. Looks like a fine weapon.

I bought the blued one.

ParabellumJ
05-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Today I bought a Kimber Custom II, (internal extractor) on-line. It will be shipped out today to my FFL and I should have it in a few days. Ruger has lost 1 fine customer!! Here is a picture I copied from the Internet. I will post some pics of mine when I receive it.

I know a lot of people are all gung-ho over that new SR1911, but for me, I would take a Kimber any day, unless that day involved a Colt.

Bawanna
05-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I know a lot of people are all gung-ho over that new SR1911, but for me, I would take a Kimber any day, unless that day involved a Colt.

I'm a tried and true Colt man myself, sadly the general consensus is the Colts quality is marginal of late. They are rumored to be running at capacity and even farming out 1911 frames.
I have no solid proof to back this up and given the right price, I'd buy any series 70 style Colt and take my chances, just hope they wake up and remember the civilians and get back in the market.
Now that Remington is building the AR's maybe that will help?

Markis82
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Congrats the the OP on that Kimber. Looks like a fine weapon.I too looked at Metro, RI, etc... Then I thought, what were the reasons I wanted the Ruger in the first place? Answer... 1) features 2) American made. Well, that took the Philippine guns right out of the picture. Kimbers have barrels, barrel bushings, chambers and triggers are all machined to exacting match grade dimensions. Ejection ports are lowered and flared, and sights are mounted in dovetails machined into the slide. Plus, raw material goes into Kimber's American shop and they make every part. I understand that Kimber's customer service is very good. If something goes wrong with my gun, they will make it right. So, I can't wait until it gets here!!!

TucsonMTB
05-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I understand that Kimber's customer service is very good. If something goes wrong with my gun, they will make it right. So, I can't wait until it gets here!!!
True. But, they will usually insist on your putting 500 rounds through it before providing warranty service for things like failures to feed or extract that will probably go away as the gun wears smooth. Admittedly, most run perfectly right out of the box, but not all. Don't be alarmed by a few early issues and keep it clean and well lubricated during break in for best results.

We have a couple of Kimbers in our family, all purchased used. The full size has been flawless from day one. The little "Ultra" got a new slide under warranty from Kimber. They were really nice about it and even installed the night sights I elected to purchase from them while they had the gun in their shop at no cost for installation. I paid for shipping to Kimber, but they paid for the return. Not bad for a used gun about which I was completely up front when I contacted them.

Here's hoping your full size is as trouble free as ours. You probably know to start with 230 grain ball ammo for break in before expecting JHP's to work well. Again, you might get lucky and have JHP's feed from day one, but don't be too unhappy if it needs some break in first.

Also, the Kimber magazine you receive may or may not be reliable. Their upgraded Kim-Pro mags are great. So are Wilsons and those from Tripp Research . . . if you have any issues with the original welded base magazine.

Buckle your seat belt. Your are going to have a fun ride.

Be aware that that 1911's are addictive . . . :eek:

Edited to add: Oh, and Kimber Main Spring Housings are plastic, like many of Colts. That's easy to fix and not terribly expensive, if it bothers you. Many people are just fine with plastic. I was not.

http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/EdBrownMSH02.JPG

Markis82
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
True. But, they will usually insist on your putting 500 rounds through it before providing warranty service for things like failures to feed or extract that will probably go away as the gun wears smooth. Admittedly, most run perfectly right out of the box, but not all. Don't be alarmed by a few early issues and keep it clean and well lubricated during break in for best results.

We have a couple of Kimbers in our family, all purchased used. The full size has been flawless from day one. The little "Ultra" got a new slide under warranty from Kimber. They were really nice about it and even installed the night sights I elected to purchase from them while they had the gun in their shop at no cost for installation. I paid for shipping to Kimber, but they paid for the return. Not bad for a used gun about which I was completely up front when I contacted them.

Here's hoping your full size is as trouble free as ours. You probably know to start with 230 grain ball ammo for break in before expecting JHP's to work well. Again, you might get lucky and have JHP's feed from day one, but don't be too unhappy if it needs some break in first.

Also, the Kimber magazine you receive may or may not be reliable. Their upgraded Kim-Pro mags are great. So are Wilsons and those from Tripp Research . . . if you have any issues with the original welded base magazine.

Edited to add: Oh, and Kimber Main Spring Housings are plastic, like many of Colts. That's easy to fix and not terribly expensive, if it bothers you. Many people are just fine with plastic. I was not.

Thanks you! I will keep that all in mind. I plan to use it only at the range so FMJ rounds are most likely all I'll use. I already have my eye on a WWII Remington Rand that needs some help. I think $550 will get me it.

TucsonMTB
05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I already have my eye on a WWII Remington Rand that needs some help. I think $550 will get me it.
Yep! You are hooked. http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

Hope you enjoy the ride. Bawanna can give you some great pointers for the classic Colt . . . and also Greg. They have already made the investments. Me, I can afford a couple of Kimbers and I am done. :o

ParabellumJ
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm a tried and true Colt man myself, sadly the general consensus is the Colts quality is marginal of late. They are rumored to be running at capacity and even farming out 1911 frames.
I believe it that they are at full capacity, but I had not heard about farming out frames. Unfortunate, but a reality of business today. As far as quality, its been years since I sold my Colt and I never had any problems with it. But that was then. I mainly took it out once a month, put 50 rounds through it, cleaned it and rubbed it with a diaper.

Bawanna
05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I had a Colt Officer ACP when they first came out, beautiful little gun. Everyone was having all sorts of issues and malfunctions, mine never had a single one. I felt like the luckiest man alive.

Sadly that was also one of the ones that got away.

bapple
05-08-2012, 10:54 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I was in the market for a 1911 and had eyeballed the Ruger for months. I called numerous stores all over the country and all of them told me good luck. One guy actually told me I would have better luck finding a unicorn before I could get my hands on an SR1911 for myself.

So, instead of waiting, I went ahead and researched for a better one. I ended up with the SW1911TA, which is the tactical model with a rail and night sights. After a new set of grips and a Wilson spring kit (trigger around 3 pounds), she is quite a joy to shoot. I took a new shooter to the range recently (a pretty small girl) and she enjoyed the slim grip and my low-recoil handloads with my 1911. It's a great gun for new shooters to learn on.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/bigapple828/photo-45.jpg

Deano
05-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I was in the same boat as you. I was in the market for a 1911 and had eyeballed the Ruger for months. I called numerous stores all over the country and all of them told me good luck. One guy actually told me I would have better luck finding a unicorn before I could get my hands on an SR1911 for myself.

So, instead of waiting, I went ahead and researched for a better one. I ended up with the SW1911TA, which is the tactical model with a rail and night sights. After a new set of grips and a Wilson spring kit (trigger around 3 pounds), she is quite a joy to shoot. I took a new shooter to the range recently (a pretty small girl) and she enjoyed the slim grip and my low-recoil handloads with my 1911. It's a great gun for new shooters to learn on.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/bigapple828/photo-45.jpg
That is one good looking piece of machinery you got there. I want one... no two.

Markis82
05-09-2012, 09:10 AM

BTW, is a field strip and cleaning enough before my first range session or should I do a complete detail strip and cleaning? I am not afraid to take it down to the last part. But, I don't want to if it is not necessary.
Thanks Again,
Mark

Barth
05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
BTW, is a field strip and cleaning enough before my first range session or should I do a complete detail strip and cleaning? I am not afraid to take it down to the last part. But, I don't want to if it is not necessary.
Thanks Again,
Mark

I've never done more than a field strip, clean and lube.
Often there's a bunch of heavy grease that new guns are packed with
you may want to get out of there.

Early on I didn't know any better and would buy new handguns
and just load and shoot them right out of the box.
No prep at all!
Don't recommend that. But I never had a problem.
I think you're worrying too much - LOL!

Markis82
05-09-2012, 09:24 AM

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp257/bigapple828/photo-45.jpgThat is a beauty!! Those grips are awesome!! What exact spring set-up did you get? Just the trigger spring or recoil spring or firing pin spring too? How would you rate Wolff vs Wilson in springs? I have only used Wolff. But, I'll consider Wilson if there is a reason to. I looked at that exact model too. However, it runs about $300 more than the Kimber. I couldn't swing the extra $. One of my origional reasons for liking the Ruger SR-1911 was price. I want to get as near to the Ruger price for all the feature as I could.

Markis82
05-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I've never done more than a field strip, clean and lube.
Often there's a bunch of heavy grease that new guns are packed with
you may want to get out of there.

Early on I didn't know any better and would buy new handguns
and just load and shoot them right out of the box.
No prep at all!
Don't recommend that. But I never had a problem.
I think you're worrying too much - LOL! Thanks! I was just looking for opinions. All guns are different. My new Glocks I shoot right out of the box without any cleaning or prep. Same with revolvers. My CM9 I detail stripped the slide and cleaned everything before the first outing. I like to put myself in the position to obtain the best results. No one ever accused me of NOT over-analyzing anything. LOL!

bapple
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM
That is a beauty!! Those grips are awesome!! What exact spring set-up did you get? Just the trigger spring or recoil spring or firing pin spring too? How would you rate Wolff vs Wilson in springs? I have only used Wolff. But, I'll consider Wilson if there is a reason to. I looked at that exact model too. However, it runs about $300 more than the Kimber. I couldn't swing the extra $. One of my origional reasons for liking the Ruger SR-1911 was price. I want to get as near to the Ruger price for all the feature as I could.

Thank you for the kind words! The spring kit I bought was the Wilson Combat custom 1911 government from Midway. Here's the link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/787003/wilson-combat-custom-tune-spring-kit-1911-government

It came with a new firing pin spring, main spring, and 2 recoil springs. The setup I'm using right now with my light hand loads are the new main spring and firing pin spring, but I left the stock recoil spring in there. It runs like a clock and has no issues so I don't see a need to change anything right now. But if I shoot something that ends up being pretty hot, I have the extra recoil springs right there.

I haven't looked into Wolff springs, but I do know that they make springs for a lot of very high-end firearms. I doubt you could go wrong with Wolff or Wilson. The thing I liked about this kit was that it was only 20 bucks, and I got my trigger down to around 3 pounds. It's quite a shooter! I highly recommend some new springs.

Deano
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Thank you for the kind words! The spring kit I bought was the Wilson Combat custom 1911 government from Midway. Here's the link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/787003/wilson-combat-custom-tune-spring-kit-1911-government

It came with a new firing pin spring, main spring, and 2 recoil springs. The setup I'm using right now with my light hand loads are the new main spring and firing pin spring, but I left the stock recoil spring in there. It runs like a clock and has no issues so I don't see a need to change anything right now. But if I shoot something that ends up being pretty hot, I have the extra recoil springs right there.

I haven't looked into Wolff springs, but I do know that they make springs for a lot of very high-end firearms. I doubt you could go wrong with Wolff or Wilson. The thing I liked about this kit was that it was only 20 bucks, and I got my trigger down to around 3 pounds. It's quite a shooter! I highly recommend some new springs.
I don't have a 1911 (yet), but how difficult was it to change out the springs. Did you do it yourself, or need a gunsmith? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the 1911.

TheTman
05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a Kimber Custom II and I am very happy with it, even if it is the older style with external extractor. It's very accurate and I've had zero problems with it.

Bawanna
05-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm done waiting too. Going to abandon my post and go pick it up right now! Be back in a bit.

Deano, they are not terribly difficult, no need for a gunsmith. Kind of a trick question really, open heart surgery isn't tough if you know what your doing.

There's lots of schematics and they all pretty much look the same inside. You'll rarely have to go there. A recoil spring every once in a great great while and it'll probably run forever.

TucsonMTB
05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks Again,
Mark
It is usually not necessary. Some of the high end builders (Les Baer comes to mind) instruct you not to even field strip during the initial 500 round break in period.

Usually, there is no need for a detail strip until you get to between five and ten thousand rounds. Most 1911 builders (manufacturers, whatever) are careful to exclude debris and provide enough lubrication during assembly.

Some people detail strip once a year, usually just before the start of their season of heavy usage for matches. Some people detail strip a new gun, just to see how nice it is inside. When I buy a used gun, I detail strip it out of curiosity.

Sorry for the slow response, we had other distractions this morning. ;)

Markis82
05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm done waiting too. Going to abandon my post and go pick it up right now! Be back in a bit.

Deano, they are not terribly difficult, no need for a gunsmith. Kind of a trick question really, open heart surgery isn't tough if you know what your doing.

There's lots of schematics and they all pretty much look the same inside. You'll rarely have to go there. A recoil spring every once in a great great while and it'll probably run forever.I bet you got one for $650.00, you dog. Pic's!!

Markis82
05-09-2012, 11:37 AM
It is usually not necessary. Some of the high end builders (Les Baer comes to mind) instruct you not to even field strip during the initial 500 round break in period.

Usually, there is no need for a detail strip until you get to between five and ten thousand rounds. Most 1911 builders (manufacturers, whatever) are careful to exclude debris and provide enough lubrication during assembly.

Some people detail strip once a year, usually just before the start of their season of heavy usage for matches. Some people detail strip a new gun, just to see how nice it is inside. When I buy a used gun, I detail strip it out of curiosity.

Sorry for the slow response, we had other distractions this morning. ;)No sorrys! Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again! I will read the manual and proceed as it advises.

gb6491
05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks Again,
Mark
Mark,
Congrats on the new Kimber!
Yes, a field strip,cleaning, and good lube will be enough for your first range session, but BE CAREFUL NOT TO DEPRESS THE GRIP SAFETY WHEN REMOVING OR INSTALLING THE SLIDE. Failure to do so can result in damage to frame mounted components of the firing pin block system.
I've been real happy with my TLE II and think you will be with your Custom II.
http://i46.tinypic.com/jtuop2.jpg
Regards,
Greg

Deano
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Mark,
Congrats on the new Kimber!
Yes, a field strip,cleaning, and good lube will be enough for your first range session, but BE CAREFUL NOT TO DEPRESS THE GRIP SAFETY WHEN REMOVING OR INSTALLING THE SLIDE. Failure to do so can result in damage to frame mounted components of the firing pin block system.
I've been real happy with my TLE II and think you will be with your Custom II.
http://i46.tinypic.com/jtuop2.jpg
Regards,
Greg
Thank you for that nugget about the grip safety. I would not have known that, and sure as the Oregon rain, I would have done just that. I love this forum.:popcorn:

Markis82
05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
BE CAREFUL NOT TO DEPRESS THE GRIP SAFETY WHEN REMOVING OR INSTALLING THE SLIDE. Failure to do so can result in damage to frame mounted components of the firing pin block system.
Regards,
GregThank you Greg. That might just be the most important bit of info I have received thus far.

gb6491
05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Thank you for that nugget about the grip safety. I would not have known that, and sure as the Oregon rain, I would have done just that. I love this forum.:popcorn:

Thank you Greg. That might just be the most important bit of info I have received thus far.
You're welcome.
I should clarify a couple of things:
First, the warning applies to guns that use the firing pin block system that Kimber uses. Some S&W 1911's use a similar system, but I'm not familiar with them. Colt also had a like design years back, but I don' think they made any guns that used it (if there are any, they are probably very valuable). I'm not sure if anyone else uses the system.
Second, the damage is most likely to occur when installing the slide, but I included the "when removing" part because could happen during that operation: say if it bound up before coming off the frame and the user were to work the slide back and forth to free it up.
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I bet you got one for $650.00, you dog. Pic's!!

The Eagle has landed!!!! Very close on the 650 figure. I'll do some pics when I get home tonight.

My initial new gun report can be summarized as SWEET!

Markis82
05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
The Eagle has landed!!!! Very close on the 650 figure. I'll do some pics when I get home tonight.

My initial new gun report can be summarized as SWEET!Congratulations! You deserve it!

TucsonMTB
05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Congratulations! http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/thumbsup.gif

Deano
05-09-2012, 03:07 PM
How'd you do it. I'm sure you're deserving, but I'm still jealous.

bapple
05-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't have a 1911 (yet), but how difficult was it to change out the springs. Did you do it yourself, or need a gunsmith? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the 1911.

All I did was look up some youtube videos that had step-by-step procedures. As long as you follow the procedures, it should be very easy.

Just go to youtube and type in "changing main spring 1911," or "removing firing pin 1911" and you'll get how-to's for both of those. There's no need to spend money sending it to a gunsmith because it's very easy to do.

Bawanna
05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN2996.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN2995.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN2991.jpg

This is MY Ruger SR1911, there apparently are very few like it BUT this one is MINE. There will someday be many many like it but this one will still be MINE. Tonight, tomorrow, and a year from now, this one will be MINE.

I'm nearly giddy...............

I included location background photo's for evidence. It's really true! I really can't believe there's finally an SR1911 living under the same roof as me.

Many many thanks to Greg who with complete disregard for his own safety, located and nailed this beauty down for me. While my wife may not totally agree, this forum and it's members totally rock at helping each other out.
I just wish once I could come up with something to reciprocate to Greg, this isn't the first time he's performed heroic deeds in my behalf.

I guess I better hop over to the 1911 picture thread and gloat some. This doesn't happen nearly often enough.

Markis82
05-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Wow, it does look fantastic! Use it well! Don't sleep with it tonight. :D

TucsonMTB
05-09-2012, 08:37 PM
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n538/hopke5/DSCN2991.jpg

Nice pictures! How's the trigger?

Edited to add: Oh, and "close to $650" rocks! The best I could find on GunBroker just now is closer to $800 shipped, but not including my FFL's fee. As someone's grandmother would say, "Man, you done good!" :)

Bawanna
05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Not quite as nice as the one my local SEAL friend has but not bad.

I'm gonna shoot it some and see if it improves some. It isn't that this one is really bad, but his is really really good.

I'm aching to shoot it. My have to do a few rounds in the back yard. Mom's day this weekend, I better act subservient.

TucsonMTB
05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I see a dozen roses and a nice dinner in your future. http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

Edited to add: And, maybe a trigger boost or two. I think the Ruger hammer and seer are hard enough to survive the pressure.

Deano
05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
My she's purdy.

Just in joy
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Jealous I have been hunting for one here locally.

Popeye
05-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Nice Bawanna, I've been waiting for the local guys to get them in but no luck so far. I'm really in no hurry as I already have a 1911 and other fine pistols to shoot. I've been trying to talk my buddy out of his CZ PO1 which are also hard as hens teeth to get around here. I love that pistol and it,s #1 on my bucket list as far as pistols go.

Tinman507
05-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Congratulations Boss!! It's gorgeous.
Man, keeping up with the Bawannas is getting to be a tough job.
I WANT ONE OF THOSE :hurt:

jimbar
05-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Congratulations, Bawanna, you finally got it. I'm loving mine, know you will too.
Here's mine.I think the trigger is pretty darn good, right out of the box.

ParabellumJ
05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Hey, just an FYI...saw a video on youtube posted today (5/11/12) on the Armory Channel touring a LGS (Double Action Gun Range in Yeadon Pa, 610-626-2995) who has A Ruger SR1911 in stock for $699 and an M&P Shield for $405.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdiYm00TrOc&feature=g-u-u
If you skip to 4:20 in the video you can see the SR1911 and 6:45 for the Shield. Not sure if this shop will take phone orders or ship, but just thought I would post it since I know there are lots of you looking for these guns.

Tinman507
05-11-2012, 08:11 AM
thanks for the heads up. they're an hour from me.

ParabellumJ
05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
thanks for the heads up. they're an hour from me.

No problem. Not sure when the video was taken or if they still had those in stock, but its probably worth a call to find out if you are in the market for either of those. I know they are tough to come by right now.

TheTman
05-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Congrats Bawanna, you finally got your hands on one. I don't see what all the fuss is about, but I'm glad you are happy with it. Hope it's a real good shooter for you, and you enjoy it a bunch.

Markis82
05-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I got my baby today! Not bad, I ordered it Tuesday and it is in my hands by Friday. It is sooooo sweet. It feels great in your hand. The trigger has no wobble, about a millimeter take-up, about 4 lbs, and no over travel. I couldn't be happier. It is very tight. Kimber says it should be 100% after 500 rounds. Seems like a lot to me. But a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. I can't get to the range for about a week and a half. But I can't wait to shoot it.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Markis82/photo-16.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Markis82/photo-15.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Markis82/photo-17.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Markis82/photo-18.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/Markis82/photo-19.jpg

Bawanna
05-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Ain't she sweet!

Markis82
05-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Ain't she sweet!Thanks! I don't care what my schedule looks like. Either today or tomorrow I'm sneaking away to the range. I have heard that the mag Kimber supplies is not very good and is the cause for many failures. Mine seems ok. Being a Kahr owner I know about mag prep. I am going to disassemble, polish the inside of the lips, polish the sides of the follower, and give it 2 Eezox treatments. I think this will put me in position to achieve the best results. If it still sucks, I'll get a couple Wilson Combat mags and leave my worries behind.

crazymailman
05-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Markis, that's one fine looking pistol. I've been drooling over the Kimbers for a while and saving pennies.

Markis82
05-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Markis, that's one fine looking pistol. I've been drooling over the Kimbers for a while and saving pennies.Thanks! I've been waiting for the Ruger SR-1911. Looking at the street price, I said why wait a can step up to a Kimber for $30 more. So I did.

Bawanna
05-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks! I don't care what my schedule looks like. Either today or tomorrow I'm sneaking away to the range. I have heard that the mag Kimber supplies is not very good and is the cause for many failures. Mine seems ok. Being a Kahr owner I know about mag prep. I am going to disassemble, polish the inside of the lips, polish the sides of the follower, and give it 2 Eezox treatments. I think this will put me in position to achieve the best results. If it still sucks, I'll get a couple Wilson Combat mags and leave my worries behind.

I'd get Wilson 47D mags the 8 rounders anyhow. Some of my 1911's have never been shot with the factory mags.
Some like the Chip McCormiks but I'm a Wilson fan.
I may never have one of his guns but I've got a bunch of his mags.

Markis82
05-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I'd get Wilson 47D mags the 8 rounders anyhow. Some of my 1911's have never been shot with the factory mags.
Some like the Chip McCormiks but I'm a Wilson fan.
I may never have one of his guns but I've got a bunch of his mags.Thank you! I will take the Gun Guru's advice and do just that. However, they will need to be the 7 rounders. I'm heading to the range now so if they don't have any in stock, I'll be forced to use the stock mag and hope for the best.

Bawanna
05-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Thank you! I will take the Gun Guru's advice and do just that. However, they will need to be the 7 rounders. I'm heading to the range now so if they don't have any in stock, I'll be forced to use the stock mag and hope for the best.

Probably best to get them at Brownells or other places. Most I see in shops they gouge ya pretty bad. Why only 7 rounders? The 47Dfits flush.

Use the factory mag too. They are generally just fine.

TheTman
05-12-2012, 10:54 AM
The factory mag on my Kimber works very well. No problems at all.

CJB
05-12-2012, 01:36 PM
I have been thinking about this...

Since the time Ruger released the SR-1911 into the market, they have released at least 2 or 3 new pistols and 2 or 3 new rifles for sale. I would think, since they are not able to keep up with the demand for their current line, they wouldn't expand into new models until they have satisfied their backlog of orders. In essence they are taking away their ability to increase production of the SR-1911 by occupying their production facilities with the new designs. That is their business decision and I think it just stinks! They should be fulfilling their current commitments before introducing new guns! I do not like their idea of conducting business in this manner and have desided $&@?! Ruger!

Your thinking is totally off the mark.

That is not the business model that Ruger uses, nor almost any of the other gun manufacturers for that matter.

Let me explain how it works. Ruger is the factory. The factory does NOT decide how many of anything to make (with rare exceptions). Instead, the factory takes production orders from Jobbers. Jobbers are usually the larger distributors. There used to be a few Ruger jobbers that were not also distributors (back in the 70's), but... I don't think they're still around. Can't say for the other mfgr's jobber list. Jobbers decide how many of what the factory should produce for them. Jobbers decide what the market demand is expected to be, and jobbers act as distributors to themselves, and to other distributors. Jobber pricing is very low. They make money selling to themselves and to other distributors, who in turn make more money selling to dealers. The factory does not want to, and cannot, deal with all the dealers across the country (and globe) as it would prohibit production scheduling and efficiency. It would also require them to "stock" their own inventory. Factories don't do that (for the most part).

Here's the dirty little secret - new guns, popular guns, latest greatest hottest thing out there - the jobbers, through force of economics, or through willful planning, can not fulfill the market demands. Think of it this way (made up numbers). A production order goes in for 300 guns. Why 300? Because the jobber only has so much money, and must also purchase other guns. They are not a "single item" vendor. Maybe they could afford more, and decided to hold back, knowing that they'd get more money (this happens a LOT). Or maybe they decided that the amount they ordered to be built was the correct amount, based on total sales of all of their product line, existing dealer and distributor orders, etc etc. Whatever... only 300 get built. And thats that. The factory plans the production schedule, and builds the order up. Thats when the factory also over produces a bit, in order to have spare parts and such. The guns ship, and the jobber takes it from there.

In the market, high demand always creates a shortage and accompanying higher sales price. Its economics 101.

The fault is not Ruger's, and you owe them an apology for the "$&@?! Ruger!" remark, imho. The fault is distribution, especially at the jobber level. It may be beyond their control, but... then again, it might not be. I wont venture to say which.

Deano
05-12-2012, 01:42 PM

That is not the business model that Ruger uses, nor almost any of the other gun manufacturers for that matter.

Let me explain how it works. Ruger is the factory. The factory does NOT decide how many of anything to make (with rare exceptions). Instead, the factory takes production orders from Jobbers. Jobbers are usually the larger distributors. There used to be a few Ruger jobbers that were not also distributors (back in the 70's), but... I don't think they're still around. Can't say for the other mfgr's jobber list. Jobbers decide how many of what the factory should produce for them. Jobbers decide what the market demand is expected to be, and jobbers act as distributors to themselves, and to other distributors. Jobber pricing is very low. They make money selling to themselves and to other distributors, who in turn make more money selling to dealers. The factory does not want to, and cannot, deal with all the dealers across the country (and globe) as it would prohibit production scheduling and efficiency. It would also require them to "stock" their own inventory. Factories don't do that (for the most part).

Here's the dirty little secret - new guns, popular guns, latest greatest hottest thing out there - the jobbers, through force of economics, or through willful planning, can not fulfill the market demands. Think of it this way (made up numbers). A production order goes in for 300 guns. Why 300? Because the jobber only has so much money, and must also purchase other guns. They are not a "single item" vendor. Maybe they could afford more, and decided to hold back, knowing that they'd get more money (this happens a LOT). Or maybe they decided that the amount they ordered to be built was the correct amount, based on total sales of all of their product line, existing dealer and distributor orders, etc etc. Whatever... only 300 get built. And thats that. The factory plans the production schedule, and builds the order up. Thats when the factory also over produces a bit, in order to have spare parts and such. The guns ship, and the jobber takes it from there.

In the market, high demand always creates a shortage and accompanying higher sales price. Its economics 101.

The fault is not Ruger's, and you owe them an apology for the "$&@?! Ruger!" remark, imho. The fault is distribution, especially at the jobber level. It may be beyond their control, but... then again, it might not be. I wont venture to say which.That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Tinman507
05-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Held an SR1911 today. They have one in the case but they're only accepting orders and they don't know when they'll be able to deliver.
All I can say is WOW. What an awesome beauty for $662. But no idea when it would arrive doesn't make me feel good.

Might have to go to plan B and buy an entry level 1911 and work up to the SR1911. I already know they're addictive and don't even own one.

Markis82
05-12-2012, 05:14 PM

The fault is not Ruger's, and you owe them an apology for the "$&@?! Ruger!" remark, imho. The fault is distribution, especially at the jobber level. It may be beyond their control, but... then again, it might not be. I wont venture to say which.Well Ruger has already said that they cannot produce the guns fast enough, opened an extra production line, and stopped taking orders for it. So, that sorta flyes in the face of the above explanation. If hey stopped introducing new guns, which obviously takes production space, they could fulfill their order backlog. Then when things even out, introduce and produce the new guns. In business whatever the "business model" one must honor previous commitments BEFORE taking on new ones!

downtownv
05-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I just bought a kimber target II stainless I got to tell you if it wasn't for the high cost of ammo
My k-9 and sig 229 would be safe queens
I was warned, in all fairness that once I shot it I'd never go back.... And they were right!

Markis82
05-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I just bought a kimber target II stainless I got to tell you if it wasn't for the high cost of ammo
My k-9 and sig 229 would be safe queens
I was warned, in all fairness that once I shot it I'd never go back.... And they were right!I hear you loud and clear. I just posted my first range report here... (http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13015)

Markis82
05-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Probably best to get them at Brownells or other places. Most I see in shops they gouge ya pretty bad. Why only 7 rounders? The 47Dfits flush.

Use the factory mag too. They are generally just fine.They didn't have them at my LGS. Being a former small business owner, I always try to give my business to the small shops that don't have the whole country as customers. Anyway, got them at Midway on sale at $28.79 ea. I didn't know the 8 rounders fit flush, since my gun came with a 7 rounder.

TucsonMTB
05-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Wilson's are arguably the best magazine (although I like Tripp Research better). They definitely provide trouble free feeding in the widest range of 1911's and are the replacement most often used if the stock mags seem to be causing problems. However, they have about an 1/8" longer metal tube than your stock mag. The extra tube length puts the removable base completely outside of the pistol. So, they do stick out a little, as do the Tripp Research for the same reason. The extra space provided by the longer tube seems to be a big contributor to the reliable performance of these 8 round magazines, so most people forgive them for sticking out, at least at the range.

If you want a magazine of high quality that feeds just as well as the Wilson Combat magazines (at least in Kimber 1911's) and a FLAT, removable base plate you should look for Kimber KimPro Tac-Mag's. In the picture below you can see the flat, slip on base plate and the two sizes of external rubber-like bumpers, held on by two screws, that can be installed if you want them. Without the bumper installed, the KimPro Tac-Mags do indeed fit flush, exactly like you stock magazine, but they work a lot better than the supplied magazine for most people.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/kimber/KM-1100721A.jpg

These work especially well in my bobtail 1911 where the extra magazine protrusion of the Wilson's defeats the purpose of the bobtail's concealable shape. But, I don't have a picture handy, so here is a picture of my Kimber most similar to yours with the Tac-Mag inserted. Notice that it fits perfectly flush.

http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/Kimber3QtrVw.JPG

Contrast that with the view of the Wilson magazine below.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx99/Helsing76/LB%20SRP/DSC08363.jpg

Markis82
05-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Wilson's are arguably the best magazine (although I like Tripp Research better). They definitely provide trouble free feeding in the widest range of 1911's and are the replacement most often used if the stock mags seem to be causing problems. However, they have about an 1/8" longer metal tube than your stock mag. The extra tube length puts the removable base completely outside of the pistol. So, they do stick out a little, as do the Tripp Research for the same reason. The extra space provided by the longer tube seems to be a big contributor to the reliable performance of these 8 round magazines, so most people forgive them for sticking out, at least at the range.

If you want a magazine of high quality that feeds just as well as the Wilson Combat magazines (at least in Kimber 1911's) and a FLAT, removable base plate you should look for Kimber KimPro Tac-Mag's. In the picture below you can see the flat, slip on base plate and the two sizes of external rubber-like bumpers, held on by two screws, that can be installed if you want them. Without the bumper installed, the KimPro Tac-Mags do indeed fit flush, exactly like you stock magazine, but they work a lot better than the supplied magazine for most people.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/kimber/KM-1100721A.jpg

These work especially well in my bobtail 1911 where the extra magazine protrusion of the Wilson's defeats the purpose of the bobtail's concealable shape. But, I don't have a picture handy, so here is a picture of my Kimber most similar to yours with the Tac-Mag inserted. Notice that it fits perfectly flush.

http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/Kimber3QtrVw.JPG

Contrast that with the view of the Wilson magazine below.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx99/Helsing76/LB%20SRP/DSC08363.jpgThanks! I was able to cancel my order my order and submit a new order for the Tac-Mag which was also on sale at $22.99 ea. It has a cleaner look.

CJB
05-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Well Ruger has already said that they cannot produce the guns fast enough, opened an extra production line, and stopped taking orders for it. So, that sorta flyes in the face of the above explanation.

What Ruger didn't take the time to explain to you personally, was they have stopped taking jobber orders for it.

Factory orders come through jobbers. The factory can produce several models at the same time - how many I dont know. Several for Ruger may well be upward of a dozen different models all being produced at the same time.

What they're saying is - its useless to add more orders. The factory SCHEDULES production based on ALL orders. So they have orders for Vaqueros, for Ranch Rifles, for that crappy little 9mm of theirs, for the huge 45 of theirs, for GP100's, etc etc. They schedule them, usually to make factory efficiency perform well, generally FIFO, with exceptions. What the factory WILL do, is say - in Q1 (or Qwhatever) we're going to produce DA medium frame DA revolvers - get your orders in before X-date, and you'll be assured of receiving it by Y-date. They also do "early order" where jobbers will forecast needs well in advance of those needs, so they can dedicate production time and space for those needs.

To say - if only Ruger quit coming out with models, then the model you happen to be interested in would be available is sophomoric. It has nothing to do with Ruger, it has everything to do with jobber orders.

Markis82
05-13-2012, 03:58 PM
What Ruger didn't take the time to explain to you personally, was they have stopped taking jobber orders for it.

Factory orders come through jobbers. The factory can produce several models at the same time - how many I dont know. Several for Ruger may well be upward of a dozen different models all being produced at the same time.

What they're saying is - its useless to add more orders. The factory SCHEDULES production based on ALL orders. So they have orders for Vaqueros, for Ranch Rifles, for that crappy little 9mm of theirs, for the huge 45 of theirs, for GP100's, etc etc. They schedule them, usually to make factory efficiency perform well, generally FIFO, with exceptions. What the factory WILL do, is say - in Q1 (or Qwhatever) we're going to produce DA medium frame DA revolvers - get your orders in before X-date, and you'll be assured of receiving it by Y-date. They also do "early order" where jobbers will forecast needs well in advance of those needs, so they can dedicate production time and space for those needs.

To say - if only Ruger quit coming out with models, then the model you happen to be interested in would be available is sophomoric. It has nothing to do with Ruger, it has everything to do with jobber orders.But Ruger also said that they opened another line and they are working around the clock to build SR-1911s. That means they are currently scheduled to build them. They need to reexamine their "schedule" and commit enough resources to get the job done.

So when S&W says they built up enough "stock" an anticipation of the Shield sales being very high, they are lying? I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to understand.

TucsonMTB
05-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks! I was able to cancel my order my order and submit a new order for the Tac-Mag which was also on sale at $22.99 ea. It has a cleaner look.
My pleasure. Glad to be able to help. :)

jocko
05-13-2012, 05:32 PM
CJB not sure If I ever told u that but my hat is off to u as a NRA endowment member. Honor to have u on the forum; Just sayin

Bawanna
05-13-2012, 06:14 PM
I use the thin metal base on the Wilosn mag in the gun and the two spares I have the thicker rubber bumper on for a positive reload.
The metal is a little heavier, but much thinner. Aids in getting the first mag out and slightly less obtrusive.

les strat
05-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Last fall/early winter, my LGS finally got one in. They had not had one since they came out the spring before, and they stuck it back for me as my brother-in-law had me looking for one after all the great reviews and build quality praise. I bought it and was paid back by my sis-in-law for his Christmas, but I got to babysit it at the house until Christmas. It was hard not to break it in for him, lol. That things was a wonderful feeling gun. They have not had one since.

Illusive, but sweet:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/1013111935.jpg

BTW, that gun shop tells me they have less problems out of the Rock River Arms 1911's than any other 1911-style pistol they sell, including Kimbers and S&W.

gb6491
05-13-2012, 08:02 PM
...BTW, that gun shop tells me they have less problems out of the Rock River Arms 1911's than any other 1911-style pistol they sell, including Kimbers and S&W.
That's probably because they (RRA) haven't made any in a while;), or perhaps, the shop meant Rock Island Armory.:)
Regards,
Greg

les strat
05-13-2012, 08:29 PM
That's probably because they (RRA) haven't made any in a while;), or perhaps, the shop meant Rock Island Armory.:)
Regards,
GregOops. More like I meant Rock Island Armory. Rocks, Islands, Rivers. LOL. :D

44 Deerslayer
05-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Last summer I happened to be in a LGS when three SR1911's came in.

I had just asked if they ever got one of the SR1911's and he said they just came in! I quickly bought one and it was perfect. I think some of the earlier ones before they tried to meet the high demand were made and fitted more carefully.

Mine is flawless and is also tight, accurate and reliable. No failures straight out of the box or since. Excellent trigger too.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SR1911.JPG

CJB
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
But Ruger also said that they opened another line and they are working around the clock to build SR-1911s. That means they are currently scheduled to build them.

Then thats a good thing. They see enough interest in the product to INVEST in additional production capability to meet specific market demands.

Ruger is a for profit company, and if they see orders to the point that they must cut them off, and decide to invest to "help ease market supply" (read that - MAKE MORE MONEY), its a good thing. Ruger would not make the investment unless they saw a forecast of a return on that investment.

Could be Ruger is also considering.... (ahem).... well the choice is clear. The market demand is not for full size 1911's.

CJB
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
CJB not sure If I ever told u that but my hat is off to u as a NRA endowment member. Honor to have u on the forum; Just sayin

No, Jocko... I'm humbled just to be here.

Markis82
05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Then thats a good thing. They see enough interest in the product to INVEST in additional production capability to meet specific market demands.

Ruger is a for profit company, and if they see orders to the point that they must cut them off, and decide to invest to "help ease market supply" (read that - MAKE MORE MONEY), its a good thing. Ruger would not make the investment unless they saw a forecast of a return on that investment.

Could be Ruger is also considering.... (ahem).... well the choice is clear. The market demand is not for full size 1911's.I don't know... For a company who is saying that they cannot produce enough product to keep up with demand, the constant introduction of new models which slows production of their current backlog, makes no sense to me, as a consumer. To the bean counter I'm sure it makes lots of sense. However, I couldn't care less about the bean counters. So, I still stand behind my origional statements.

Bawanna
05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
I do know first hand that reading post that are usually over my head are much more enjoyable when I'm fondling my SR1911. I hope Ruger and everyone in between made some money on it.

I know at least one step in the chain took a little beating but I'll figure out a solution for that some day.

Business is to make money not friends, good business's do both and I think Ruger is doing very well in both arena's.

Tinman507
05-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Ruger is a smart company. Having demand exceed their current production with all indicators saying the economy is making a small rebound and demand only increasing is a good thing. New models stimulating interest in their firm. Now they make a gamble, hire more people, increase production, satisfy buyers and get out in front of the gun boom. Smart moves. Ride the pre-election wave into 2013. I'd say these are calculated intelligent moves to have slow steady growth. I hate I can't get an SR1911 but I gotta admire the business sense.

Markis82
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I just think it is disingenuous to be introducting new models while you are not capable of producing enough of the current models, let alone beginnng to try to make the new models too. It is called biting off more than you can chew. It is not just the SR-1911 they can't make enough of. The other new models are. High demand and low supply. I don't like it one bit.

TucsonMTB
05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't know...
Yeah, it's kind of traditional that the more desirable and upper end 1911's are produced in small quantities and are thus difficult to find and expensive. Les Baer, Wilson, and Ed Brown come to mind, but there are even smaller shops making even more difficult to find pieces.

On the mid to lower end of the scale are companies like Kimber, who probably builds more 1911's than the rest of industry combined, and even they have some hard to find models.

It's a tough market!

jocko
05-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Ruger is a smart company. Having demand exceed their current production with all indicators saying the economy is making a small rebound and demand only increasing is a good thing. New models stimulating interest in their firm. Now they make a gamble, hire more people, increase production, satisfy buyers and get out in front of the gun boom. Smart moves. Ride the pre-election wave into 2013. I'd say these are calculated intelligent moves to have slow steady growth. I hate I can't get an SR1911 but I gotta admire the business sense.

ur luck at walking into any Rolex dealer and finding a stainless daytona in the case. Just ain't gonna happen U will proabalby hear smething like, "well get our our 2 year waiting list" or j"ur joking ain't ya". It is what it is,,,, some companies keep supply well under demand, just because they can. It ain't just Ruger, I think they know how to market a product. Just sayin