PDA

View Full Version : gun belt?

cjm2022
05-13-2012, 09:27 AM
do i really need a gun belt, wouldn't a regular solid leather belt work just fine?

jeepster09
05-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes, any GOOD leather belt will work.

Bawanna
05-13-2012, 09:30 AM
If the belt is good and solid you have a gun belt? The belt is a very important segment of any carry system.

A good gun belt is definitely worth what you pay for it in most cases.

pitandkahr
05-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Agree with everyone...If you do choose to get a gun belt make sure you get one that is meant for that purpose...There are many companies that make them I have a THC "Tennessee Holster Company" gun belt and it's freaking crazy sturdy and thick...It will last forever too from the way it is built...LOVE IT and worth the money, but any good gun belt is...

cjm2022
05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
does a the belt matter more or less with either OWB or IWB?

Wisewolfhowling
05-13-2012, 10:52 AM
It matters with either style of carry do to the belt supporting the weight of the gun. A good belt will hold the gun in place and not let it hang down off your side. I would suggest getting a good belt before trying to find the right holster. A good holster will be a great holster if you have the belt for the support.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Barth
05-13-2012, 10:53 AM
do i really need a gun belt, wouldn't a regular solid leather belt work just fine?

If you want to destroy the belt - LOL!

Get a real gun belt.
I have several and my far and away favorite is a Galco SB1

OldLincoln
05-13-2012, 11:12 AM
With IWB, the belt holds it against your body which helps support the gun and you may get by if it's a small gun. OWB cantilevers the gun away from the belt and belt becomes pretty important.

One test is if you always have to tug up your pants raising from a chair you may need a belt.

pitandkahr
05-13-2012, 11:16 AM
It matters with either style of carry do to the belt supporting the weight of the gun. A good belt will hold the gun in place and not let it hang down off your side. I would suggest getting a good belt before trying to find the right holster. A good holster will be a great holster if you have the belt for the support.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Very well said!!!

340pd
05-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Yes you do need a good gun belt. I have three leather and two web versions. Most leather ones run $65 and up and are worth every penny. Here are three from a maker. Fair prices great quality.
http://www.rgleather.freehomepage.com/
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/Basketofsnakes.jpg

340pd
05-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Another option that I have not tried is linked below.
http://www.abetterbeltusa.com/products/

les strat
05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
I have a Don Hume 1 1/4" gun belt. It is very thick and will not sag or give on draw. I'd hate to get a whoopin from that thing! $50 and nice looking too. Made is USA.

Planedude
05-13-2012, 08:37 PM
I use the 511 tactical 1 1/2 inch belt. I have one that is shabby now, but has taken a beating from working in the aircraft industry for 5 years. Looks awful, but still going and would hold my CW40 and spare mag as good as the day I bought it.
Sometime it does...
I think it's important to have a good gun belt even for pocket carry.
Get the good gun belt. You won't regret doing it.

getsome
05-14-2012, 01:00 PM
I bought 2 real nice 1 1/2" wide double stitched made in USA leather belts for $35.00 each from a place here in Atlanta called Palmer Tactical that supplies uniforms and equipment for Police Fire and EMS and the quality and price can't be beat...They offer discounts for active and retired Fire/Police and Military folks...Only negative is all they sell is black uniform stuff and if you want tan then you would have to look at one of the holster makers like Galco or Bianchi but your going to pay twice the price or more...

Look for a dealer in your area that caters to Fire/Police equipment and supplies and you will find lots of nice leather holsters, mag holders and belts and other cool stuff you can't find anywhere else...

Palmers web site is www.palmertatictal.net

Check their web site out for many cool things at good prices...I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer...Real nice folks too...

TheTman
05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
I found a "Dickies" brand work belt at Walley World that does a pretty good job. It's nice and thick and sturdy, and wasn't very expensive either. Holds my .357/.44 magnums in OWB holsters well, and works great with IWB holsters. Most of their other belts I wouldn't waste money on for a gun belt, but the Dickies is much sturdier.

RedRyder
05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I recently purchased both a Bullhide 1.5 in belt and a 5.11 Tactical 1.5 in web belt. The Bullhide belt is awesome. Fairly expensive at $85 but beautiful workmanship and should last forever. The web belt still has the jury out on it. Hold my OWB Don Hume nicely for a couple of hours, then unless I go back and snug it back up since it's a friction fit buckle, my gun starts to sag outwardly. As long as I snug it back up, it's fine for a couple of more hours. Just hate to snug it back up when in public and it could show my weapon. Check out Bullhide though. I'm sure happy with that brand.

JFootin
05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Here's a great belt at a good price, these Amish made belts with roller buckles, available in black or brown and smooth or embossed with an eagle pattern.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_eagle_print_black_buy.html