PDA

View Full Version : Question for the collective

jg rider
05-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I've been wanting one of these for a long time, even if it's only for a short time. But!

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/handgun-classifieds/76671-walther-tph-clackamas-area.html

Deano
05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Don't worry man, no one will think less of you for wanting a 22LR pistol. :eek: Is that what you're worried about? We are here to help you through these hard times.

TucsonMTB
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
You are fortunate enough to have a place to shoot it at home. For me, that would make it worthwhile. Since I have to drive or bicycle about 10 miles to our local outdoor range to shoot, it's harder to get excited about a small, elegant 22LR pistol. But, for you . . . it makes sense. http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/thumbsup.gif

Just my two cents worth, which is decreasing in value nearly every day. :eek:

Based on what I see on GunBroker dot com, that is an excellent asking price!

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/285807000/285807080/pix484997192.jpg

jocko
05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
well if anything that little sucker sure is neat

jg rider
05-15-2012, 08:04 PM
It's the price that bothers me the most. $500.00 seems steep
Then there's the wife. She keeps reminding me about my on and off love affair with Walther PPs, PPKs and since 1968, the PPKS for american importation. How I buy and sell them and then regret it. IMHO, they are beautiful to look at but uncomfortable to shoot.
This would be something new to try.
I'm gonna make a counter offer and see what happens.

ripley16
05-15-2012, 08:27 PM
That's not a bad price for a TPH, especially with three mags, which are hard to come by and may sell for up to $75 each. I wouldn't counter too low. These are really fun guns and truely extra slim and easy to conceal. I have a preference for the .25 acp model, but the .22 is a blast to shoot.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Walther/tph25021.jpg

wyntrout
05-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I have a stainless .22 TPH by Interarms. This was my daytime EDC up until I got my LNIB 2006 PM9 DLC with NS January 2010... about 12-13 years. It's very slim and accurate, but "heavy"... about what a P380 weighs... both loaded. The magazine bases on the Interarms mags both got stress cracks in the plastic and I epoxied them in place. I paid $450 for mine back in 1995/96. The lower rear of the slide is a real biter and the trigger can go off before you're ready... trying to take up slack.

Loaded with Stingers, you won't get expansion but you'll still get close to 1,000 fps. Keep fresh ammo in it and it should be reliable. I really wanted a small center-fire pistol to carry after I had some carry duds firing into an armadillo hole under my tool shed.:eek:

I'm not sure about the Interarms mags' value, but Walther mags are very "dear".

Oh! I forgot to add that this pistol should be carried on SAFE as it can fire if dropped and it lands on the hammer... NO inertial firing pin block. It switches to FIRE easily but going to SAFE is hard on the thumb... tiny lever and hard to move.

The Baby UPLULA works well with the tiny magazines.

Added some pix with P380:

Wynn:)

jg rider
05-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a stainless .22 TPH by Interarms. This was my daytime EDC up until I got my LNIB 2006 PM9 DLC with NS January 2010... about 12-13 years. It's very slim and accurate, but "heavy"... about what a P380 weighs... both loaded. The magazine bases on the Interarms mags both got stress cracks in the plastic and I epoxied them in place. I paid $450 for mine back in 1995/96. The lower rear of the slide is a real biter and the trigger can go off before you're ready... trying to take up slack.

Loaded with Stingers, you won't get expansion but you'll still get close to 1,000 fps. Keep fresh ammo in it and it should be reliable. I really wanted a small center-fire pistol to carry after I had some carry duds firing into an armadillo hole under my tool shed.:eek:

I'm not sure about the Interarms mags' value, but Walther mags are very "dear".

Oh! I forgot to add that this pistol should be carried on SAFE as it can fire if dropped and it lands on the hammer... NO inertial firing pin block. It switches to FIRE easily but going to SAFE is hard on the thumb... tiny lever and hard to move.

The Baby UPLULA works well with the tiny magazines.

Added some pix with P380:

Wow! Thanks Wynn
That was a wealth of information for me

gb6491
05-15-2012, 11:59 PM
My stainless Interarms TPH loved to slice/scrape/gouge the web of my handhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink053.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
It was also a little ammo sensitive, but pretty accurate (the orange on orange sights worked well). I might do one again if it were a blued German gun, but what I would really like is a PP in .22LR
Regards,
Greg

Longitude Zero
05-16-2012, 06:09 AM
NOBODY with 2 or more living brains cells should turn up there nose at rimfire. You can shoot all day and get tired before running out of ammo. My son and I burn up 500+ rounds each time we go out with our 22's. Try that with any other cartridges.

I agree the price is maybe a slight bit high but not by much. Start out at $400 and be willing to go up.

wyntrout
05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
It's a very slim package and I used to like to say that I could place all rounds in a 4" bullseye at 25 yards, but I'm reduced to getting most in a 6" bull at 15 yards with one of my full-sized .45's. Old eyes and no bench rest. :D

Mine did get dunked in the Intracoastal at Saint Augustine when I slipped off the stern of the boat while trying to re-position my depthfinder transducer after some bumpy water. It shows no rust from that episode.

I said it was my trusty EDC for daytime... I had to get something heavier for night. I only carried my K9 a short time walking my dog, until I wanted something bigger. I got a Para P12 with 12+1 rounds of .45 acp and night sights. That was a much easier carry with my shorts and a belt than my humongous S&W 645, especially after I realized that I didn't need to carry another 12-round mag.

I had wanted one of those little pistols for a few decades but they couldn't be imported except for LE use. Interarms started making them and I jumped on the first one I saw at a gun show... a dealer had several of the new pistols.

I also had wanted an SS PPK/S in .380, which I got later. It had the same characteristics as the TPH and I never warmed to it, and later sold it at one of my early garage sales after moving here to Florida. I guy bought the PPK/s and a redundant-to-me and the 645 S&W 4506... with holsters for less than $1,000. I sold most of the guns I had then, unfortunately. I had a really super sweet, tuned 629 with a 6" barrel... just beautiful... sigh.

jg rider
05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
It's a very slim package and I used to like to say that I could place all rounds in a 4" bullseye at 25 yards, but I'm reduced to getting most in a 6" bull at 15 yards with one of my full-sized .45's. Old eyes and no bench rest. :D

Mine did get dunked in the Intracoastal at Saint Augustine when I slipped off the stern of the boat while trying to re-position my depthfinder transducer after some bumpy water. It shows no rust from that episode.

I said it was my trusty EDC for daytime... I had to get something heavier for night. I only carried my K9 a short time walking my dog, until I wanted something bigger. I got a Para P12 with 12+1 rounds of .45 acp and night sights. That was a much easier carry with my shorts and a belt than my humongous S&W 645, especially after I realized that I didn't need to carry another 12-round mag.

I had wanted one of those little pistols for a few decades but they couldn't be imported except for LE use. Interarms started making them and I jumped on the first one I saw at a gun show... a dealer had several of the new pistols.

I also had wanted an SS PPK/S in .380, which I got later. It had the same characteristics as the TPH and I never warmed to it, and later sold it at one of my early garage sales after moving here to Florida. I guy bought the PPK/s and a redundant-to-me and the 645 S&W 4506... with holsters for less than $1,000. I sold most of the guns I had then, unfortunately. I had a really super sweet, tuned 629 with a 6" barrel... just beautiful... sigh.

I sent a counter offer to the seller, and haven't heard back from him/her. Last night I remembered (my memory does come back sometimes) that I once borrowed an Iver Johnson from a friend, and I seem to remember that it looked just like a TPH, at least externally. It fed anything we put through it, Fed bulk, Rem. G.B, Win. 333 bulk etc. It had a terrible D.A. pull. He has 2 of these that he got from fellow LEOs that carried them as back ups.
I'm gonna borrow one again and refamiliarize myself with it.
I'll post pics when I get it

ripley16
05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Last night I remembered (my memory does come back sometimes) that I once borrowed an Iver Johnson from a friend, and I seem to remember that it looked just like a TPH, at least externally. It fed anything we put through it, Fed bulk, Rem. G.B, Win. 333 bulk etc. It had a terrible D.A. pull. He has 2 of these that he got from fellow LEOs that carried them as back ups.
I'm gonna borrow one again and refamiliarize myself with it.
I'll post pics when I get it

The Iver Johnson TP22 is another small .22 that is more than fun. I have one of the iterations of this much copied pistol in the form of an American Arms PX22. These are neat guns but not quite the quality of the TPH IMHO. I can't say it fed every round though, but it is accurate enough.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/PX22003-1.jpg