PDA

View Full Version : Bass Pro don't care about CWP holders

Jayta98
05-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I got to say I used to love going to Bass Pro for accesories and other stuff but today was my last day I will ever go to them. I decided to get a holster for my S&W Shield. I unloaded my gun and put it in my pistol bag. I go look for the holsters I like and bring everything to the gun counter. I tell the salesman I want to try these holsters for my gun and I will like for him to check and make sure is clear. He askes me how did i got thru the front door without getting a gun lock from the greeting person. I told him no one told me I need it a gun lock. He kinda got mad and told me there is a sign in the front that says so. I explained the person it wasn't my intent to do so but since he was so rude about that i actually have a conceal weapon permit and the gun was concealed when I came in. I'm not trying to make a big deal, I really had either miss the sign or it was small. He tells that it don't matter if I have a permit or not I need to have a lock on it. I told him he was incorrect, I can actually carry my firearm as long it is concealed by FL law. Now the store can have their own policy which is fine but you can't legally try to do anything about it unless I show the firearm in a rude or careless matter. They can only kick me out.
So I told him if he can help me out with the holster if not I will be more than happy to leave. So he reads the holsters package and he tells me that is not listed there is not going to work. I told to please try since I was almost positive it will fit. The gun actually fit the holster. I never put my hands on the holster or firearm. Next thing I was told that he was going to put a lock in my gun and the person by the front door can remove it. No problem with me. So he comes back with a big oversized lock and there was no way I can try the gun in the holster. I mention to him that he didn't gave a chance to check the tension of the holster or to at least try it. I was told I have to buy the holster and try it out outisde in the parking lot. If it doesn't fit I can return it and try again. Are serious? So if I want to try 4 holsters I have to buy them all and then go outside and return the ones I don't like? I mean he had check the gun and it was clear. I'm in front of him and I got the holsters I want to try. According to him that the way they do it. So I thank him and told him it will be last time they see me in a Bass Pro again. Same explanation in the front when they were removing the lock. I can't bring a firearm into the store regardless of premit or not.
It really surprise me that a store that sells firearms and hunting stuff will have this kinda of service towards gun owners. I could understand if i bring the firearm loaded and i reach to handle it to them then yes I can see that kinda of attitute. I went to Gander Mountain and some LGS and they have no issue as long as the gun is check by them and i'm in front of one of them trying the holsters out. No matter what it seems the responsible gun owners are the ones getting crap all the time...

Markis82
05-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I have gone to the Bass Pro Shop just south of Fort Myers Florida. I carry concealed every time I go. Anyway, they are over priced on guns and ammo, have crappy accessories, and their employees know nothing about firearms. So, I don't shop there much at all. Just go there for the occasional gun sock, cheap rifle case, or silicon impregnated rag. For real accessories like holsters, I go the the LGS or buy on-line.

Jayta98
05-16-2012, 01:09 PM
I agree with you. I like B&H gun rack in Merrit Island and Gander Mountain.

downtownv
05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Sounds like they love gun peoples money, but nothing else about us!

DKD
05-16-2012, 02:09 PM
JAYTA98 your right, B&H Gunrack is the bomb, especially on their prices on Kahrs. No one can touch their prices...so much so I drove an hour and a half from Lakeland to buy from them more than once. They also usually have Kahrs entire line up on hand most of the time. They must be one of Kahr leading distributor in Florida.

CJB
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
BPS has their head up their collective recti

Gander here isn't much better - rude, high prices.

Best one I've found so far - up in Port Orange (Fl Gun Exch) but they're sorta rude too, but the prices are ok, and if they know you'll buy and not just shop, the rude level comes down a few notches.

RDW
05-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Anymore, corporate policy seems to always outweigh common sense and customer service.

---
RDW

AJBert
05-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Just an FYI, BPS a few years ago did not check firearms at the door. A customer brought in a shotgun for one thing or another and promised it was unloaded when he handed it to an employee. Said employee took the shotgun, and not using the best of gun safety practices, ended up shooting a lady patron in the hind quarters with #8 shot.

She survived and received a sizeable settlement.

This incident is WHY the "big box stores" are very anal about customers bringing in firearms into the store and insisting they are cleared with an empty chamber indicator and a trigger lock installed at or near the front entrance. The "big box stores" do not have a problem with concealed carry, providing the firearm is to stay concealed. Once a patron pulls it out, the policy is to make the weapon safe with said ECI and trigger lock.

Though, in this instance, it sounds like the employee wasn't quite sure that it was okay for him/her to remove the lock and ECI, once installed at the front of the store, to make sure your firearm and holster matched.

I recommend to everyone before bringing in any firearm into any store to find out what that particular store's policy is. I also recommend that before you buy any holster/scope mounts/doodads that you bring your firearm into the store. Just because one has a CCW does not mean they can trump store policy.

It is your right not to shop there any more, and I support that, but before I bring any firearm into any store/business, other than CCW, I ask what is their policy. This includes indoor ranges, gunsmiths, big box stores, etc. Some don't care, others want at a minimum a soft case or just a box. Others have wanted a hard case with a lock. Your flavors may vary.

Just food for thought.

kahrnut1
05-16-2012, 09:09 PM
we have a small chain 12 stores in north & south carolina mast general stores. they have a good line of hunting hiking outdoor gear and a good supply of dresser out door clothing. the wife and i easily spend 2000 a year buying gifts. the last time there they had a index card on all doors saying nonhandguns in store. i contacted the home office and a woman wrote me a letter saying she wants our buissness but would we walk to the car and leave the gun in trunk. i told her i would walk to car never to return kahrnut1

Planedude
05-18-2012, 07:00 AM
The local Cabelas has a notice on the door that seems worded to say visable, hand carried guns must be checked and locked.
I carried my pocketed P380 while there with no issue, but I never expected to need it out while shopping there. Parking lot, maybe...
I understand their liability issues and have seen some awful gun handling in the store on the part of the public. One old boy had yanked a scoped AR off the rack and was sighting it in on people throughout the store, including me. When confronted his answer was "awww, they would never have it out here loaded..." and he seemed to take umberage to be called an unsafe Dumb-arse. Oh well!
You can't control what comes thru the door, all you can do is try and keep it safe as practical for everyone. I don't carry in their store now, I was caught off guard the first time, but they do not post the place per the Texas required 30.06 so conceled carry is still leagle long as it stay hidden.
I would not stop shopping there for that ruling, as I don't trust some of the goobers they get into the store either...:rolleyes:
But that's just me. Have a good one.

Longitude Zero
05-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Many times the reason as stated previously is the liability issue. I know the agent for the insurance underwriter for a big box sporting goods store that sells weapons and it is a MANDATORY requirement of the stores insurance policy.

Sadly this day in age no insurance no operating business.

dkmatthews
05-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Yes, it's sad. When I am in Bass Pro, I'm always carrying concealed.

The only thing you MIGHT have tried is asking the sales rep to use one of THEIR OWN guns from behind the counter with one of their own holsters. That way he would know that the weapon was safe.

jlottmc
05-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Planedude, which Cabella's the one in Allen, or Fort Worth? For the thread, I always carry concealed (well before the boating accident). Never had a problem with sales staff, of course like previously stated, I generally use one of their display guns to check what I like.

Planedude
05-21-2012, 09:15 AM
The one I was talking about is in Fort Worth. Like I said, I'll do what they ask, but they are not posted 30.06 at the doorways so that means it is not a violation to carry in the store by Texas law. I would'nt run back to the truck, if I forgot about my P380 in the ol-pocket...
Never been impressed with Cabella's gun prices but they often have in stock what others need to order so I have sent them bizz when asked where to go for guns. Ammo can be had there for as good a price as anywhere and thats what I most often come away with.
Concelment supplies have been spotty at best (for what I carry) although they do now carry Kahr products in the gun case.
I'm getting better after the surgery and just this week I can leave the back brace off. It will be interesting to see how CHL belt carry works now. Before my surgery in 2009 I would carry IWB at the SOB with my 1911. That's gone forever now, I have been looking at some IWB for the CW40 but don't know how the back will like it in there. I guess it's as good an excuse as any to add to the holster collection.
How, if at all, did your accident change your carry?

Dang thread jackers...

Jayta98
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I decide to call bass pro corporate the next day after i calm down and filled a complaint. The lady was very nice and was really upset that I wasn't allowed to try the holsters. The next day i got a call from the manager at the store. He was looking for more information about the issue as he was not happy that I didn't got to try the holster either. He reassure me that they don't stop you at the front door and put the gun lock unless I request it. I told him that as soon as i had a range looking bag I was asked if I have a firearm and then to secure it. Maybe it was an employee issue but it happened before. I told him he needs to do a better job with the sign at the front door as I didn't even noticed it. As for the gun counter person he apologized for the crappy costumer service. He said he will investigate some more. He offer me to come back to the store and he will personally will take care of me and let me try the holsters. I told him that i appreciate him trying to do the right thing but I have no interest on going back. I added that I have friends that experienced the same crappy costumer service. I told him at the end is their loss. If they want to keep costumers they need to improve the costumer service at the firearm dept. He was nice and respectful but I'm not going back.

Polygon
05-21-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't care for any of the big box stores like them. This is just another crap policy I'm hearing about Bass Pro Shops. I didn't go there because of prices, no I'll avoid them out of principal. I will go to Cabelas on rare occasions because they occasionally have deals. Oh, and you're only required to check firearms at the door in they are going to be worked on or looked at. I was confused the first time I saw it can informed them about my permit and they told me not to worry about it. Also, the don't use some huge lock so you would have been able to try out a holster.

getsome
05-22-2012, 02:25 PM
The S&W 1911 I bought there is now a great gun after sending it to Novaks to have the trigger replaced with a proper fitting one that doesn't rattle in the frame like a penny in a Coke can...

They have those stupid trigger locks on all the guns they WILL NOT remove them in the store for any reason so I bought the pistol without being able to dry fire it and if I had I wouldn't have bought that one...Don't get me wrong, the gun is a nice piece and shoots great but some Smith 1911's are hit or miss when it comes to trigger fitting and mine was a miss...

I tried to take it back to try another one but they have a NO RETURN FOR ANY REASON POLICY on guns so they have the last red Lincoln from my pocket they will ever see for any firearm....I will also never again buy a gun that I can't dry fire to check for function....

Jayta98
05-22-2012, 07:15 PM
wow now thats even worse than my issue. You are buying a gun from them and you can't even dry fire it?? wow. I'm sorry i'm sure you really wanted the gun but if I can touch it and break it down I don't buy it. Sorry for your bad experience.

TucsonMTB
05-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Here in Arizona, the Phoenix Bass Pro store is practically a theme park. I'm told that all they need is a couple of rides.

But . . . while the fishermen and campers are pretty happy, not many people I know buy guns there. High prices, very haughty sales/service people at the gun counter pretty much kill the enthusiasm of most.

I haven't been in, but people I know who have say their ammo selection is broad . . . expensive, but broad. http://home.mindspring.com/%7Ejustsomeguy/icon_lol.gif

downtownv
05-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Considering they are in the Gun Business they seem to be quite hypocritical. Screw 'em they are the Home Depot of sporting gear (lots of cheap import crap anyways)
Solicit a private owned business, where your sale matters more than the conglomerate. I travel nationally and always try to solicit a private restaurant vs the chains as I may make a difference between him staying in business or not. Him providing jobs or closing and losing jobs. The chains won't miss your business.

dkmatthews
05-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Considering there's a BassPro about 3 miles from my house, I have been in there many times. The only time I've made a purchase was for cheap ammo or reloading supplies I couldn't find somewhere else.

Anyway, I'm crossing them off my list for this and for the grief they are giving McMillan Group.