PDA

View Full Version : Hello and problem with new CM9

adauria
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi folks,

New Kahr owner here. Will be sure to check out this forum a bit.

Perhaps someone can help with a problem I've run into. I just got a Kahr cm9 today, fired it, and really like it. I take It home and start disassembling it to see how it goes. I follow the manual, no problem. then I try to reassemble it following the manual. It seems ok, however I discover the manual seems to have a misprint so there are 2 sections for the cm series reassembly, and the first one is wrong, or at least doesnt give you a few key bits of info you need to get it together right. I realize the mistake, but now it seems I can't get the gun disassembled any more.

So I guess what I did was put the pin/catch in there at the wrong angle, or I missed the kidney shaped slot. So now when I line up the proof marks I can't push the pin/catch out at all. The manual warns this might happen in the second section that describes reassembly, but of course I followed the first.

Do I need to send this Kahr to fix? Is there a way I can fix it myself, or perhaps a local (Triangle area) smith or person on the board can help me out without the expense of a factory repair and ffl xfers?

Thanks!

TucsonMTB
05-16-2012, 06:14 PM
You might find the video at this link from the Kahr Arms website useful: http://www.kahr.com/p9-takedown.asp

Notice that in the video, the gentleman removes the slide lock or take down lever by tapping the exposed end (with the marks aligned, of course).

You may not have done anything wrong at all. These little guys are difficult to get apart sometimes. Use a plastic hammer or a screwdriver handle to tap without doing damage. One of my PM40's still needs a surprisingly hard hit to get the pin out even after several hundred rounds.

Best of luck! We will be watching for your report.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

jocko
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM
if the pin went in improperly it will also come out the same way working from the right side. A small dowell placed right on that slide lock pin on the right side, and then a goood rap with a hammer and it will come right back out. Sounds to me lke u missed the barrel lug. ur not the first, so chalk it up to experience. It will come out though.

jokester
05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I have a cm9 also and i was surprised on how easy the pin came out.If you look real close the half moon will line up with the opening on the slide and you can pull it out with out using anything.Could be the kung fu grip or ? Once you get it back together you will be able to do it with your eyes closed.Welcome:D

Infidel proud
05-16-2012, 09:09 PM
I had the same problem with my pm9 new, but the problem went away after shooting it a few hundred rounds and a few dissassemblys for cleaning. Also I have polished the pin on a few other kahr models so they would come out without any tools. Best of luck man hope you enjoy, I know I love mine!

Deano
05-16-2012, 09:18 PM
my cm9 pin was VERY hard to get out at first. Now after about 300 rounds, I can take it out just pushing with my finger. My CW45 is still needing a push with something harder than a finger. Each gun is gonna be different. I think Jocko is right though, push hard enough and it will come out.

itsthelaw
05-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Adauria...welcome! The superstars on this forum are amazing! They will help you. I am just here for commentary and to receive help. You are in GREAT hands.

Infidel proud
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I obviously read your post wrong, it could still just be factory tight but if the take down pin has missed the under lug in the barrel it may be a different issue. If it was inserted behind the barrel lug the barrel should slide freely within the slide (shouldn't impede its removal) if the pin is in front of the barrel lug the pistol should not go into battery at all and may be a pain to remove. Should still be able to tap it out without any damage...

skiflydive
05-17-2012, 04:26 AM
Is the magazine out of the gun? The pin won't come out if the mag is in place.

adauria
05-17-2012, 06:24 AM
Wow, thanks for the great advice. Yes, I think I missed the lug, because now I don't see the half moon thing at all when the marks are lined up. I am going to use the dowel and hammer method, hoping I don't kill my new gun. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks!

-Andrew

adauria
05-17-2012, 07:37 AM
OK good news - I was able to get it out with a solid whack via a dowel! Thanks again for the help folks! I look forward to really breaking my new gun in and joining the discussion on this forum!

-Andrew

JFootin
05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Andrew, go to the CM9 page on the Kahr website, select the downloads tab below the picture and look at the takedown video.

adauria
05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks JF. Saw that video early today and it's very helpful!

-Andrew