PDA

View Full Version : Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel tests?

Dietrich
02-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi people,Forgive me if this has already been posted but I would like to know if there are any ballistic gel test results for 9mm Speer Short Barrel ammo.I carry the regular 124 gr.+P but I`m curious about the short barrel seeing as I carry my PM9 so often.Thanks a ton.

hsart
02-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Check out Speer 135 grain Gold Dot Short Barrel (http://www.brassfetcher.com/Speer%20135%20grain%20GoldDot%20Short%20Barrel.htm l)

Not for 9mm but may lead you to the right place.

hsart
02-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Not sure but I think these guys will test ammo on demand... see these 9mm tests:

9x19mm (http://www.brassfetcher.com/9mm%20Luger.html)

GregD
02-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm impressed with the windshield shots . I was shot at while sitting behind the windshield, luckily the bullets did not penetrate. The shooter was using a Ruger Security Six with .38s instead of .357. It did shower me with splinters of glass and nearly messed up my "Fruit of the Looms". lol

Gold Dots are really good. I posted earlier that I had purchased 6ea boxes of the snubby ammo yesterday, 300 rounds, probably better than the Rangers.

Thanks for the website.

wyntrout
02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I guess that would be "Code Brown". I hate when that happens.:eek:
Wynn:D

fngrobert
02-26-2010, 12:37 AM
What's the difference between the regular 124 gr +P Gold Dots and the short barrel variety? Are the regular ones not supposed to be used in pistols like the Micro Kahrs?

Dietrich
02-26-2010, 06:29 AM
What's the difference between the regular 124 gr +P Gold Dots and the short barrel variety? Are the regular ones not supposed to be used in pistols like the Micro Kahrs?
The regular Gold Dot +P is fine to use in your Kahr.They came out with the short barrel version that is supposed to perform better in the pistols with short barrels and I was wondering how they did in gel tests.:)

jocko
02-26-2010, 07:27 AM
The regular Gold Dot +P is fine to use in your Kahr.They came out with the short barrel version that is supposed to perform better in the pistols with short barrels and I was wondering how they did in gel tests.:)

aks this question on this and other kahr fourms and so far have never gotten an answer where anyone did testing with both rounds. It might indeed have a different powder in it but I stillthink it is more add hype over basic substance. Just so much easierr to find the +P124 gold dots.

Someone told me they heard it had a faster burning powder in it, there fore less muzzle flash. How much is less to????

Frankhenrylee
02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Have you looked at Double Tap ammo? They used to load Gold Dots with there powder that for whatever reason seems to be a faster burning hotter powder. They just started using the Barnes TPX or something like that. I think its the same round in the Corbon DPX only alot cheaper per 50. I've never used Double Tap myself. I've always wondered if using the hotter loads would effect functionality.

wyntrout
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I bought and tested the Double Tap 9mm 124-grain bonded JHP (GDs) +P and posted pictures of it being fired. They were using "low-flash" powder, not that you could tell. I forgot to fire anything else and record it for comparison. Check out my "tests" in the Ammunition sub-forum. It had more kick -- about the same or a little less than the CorBon equivalent, but no problem firing that in my PM9 or K9. DT no longer lists the 124-gr +P ammo.:confused:
I should get my short barrel 124-gr GDs early next week, along with my PM45. I'll go to the range to test both. For .45 I think that I have Rem 230 GS and for range fodder Wolf 230-gr steel-cased stuff. Next gun show or online, I need to find some better range fodder. <shoot! UPS just drove by>:(
I'll post some pictures along with a report about the GD SB in my 9's.
Wynn

Rbrown7
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi people,Forgive me if this has already been posted but I would like to know if there are any ballistic gel test results for 9mm Speer Short Barrel ammo.I carry the regular 124 gr.+P but I`m curious about the short barrel seeing as I carry my PM9 so often.Thanks a ton.

The advertized muzzle velocity is 1150fps and last weekend at the range I chronographed a couple of rounds through my PM9 at 10 feet and got 1080fps and 1105fps. Hope this is useful.