PDA

View Full Version : Porting a gun

AIRret
05-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Does porting a gun, specifically, a snub-nosed, affect bullet velocity and or accuracy? I'm just toying with the idea and wanted some feedback. My Ruger LCR 357 isn't bad but some folks say they would port all their carry guns.

Longitude Zero
05-18-2012, 05:20 AM
I am NOT a fan of porting a carry gun and here is why. If you have to fire the gun while it is held close to your body in a close combat position the gasses coming out of the ports will spray directly upward into your face. Several weapon retention techniques require you to have part of your body near or covering the ports.

So I am not a fan. Save the porting for competition guns.

Barth
05-18-2012, 06:09 AM
I am NOT a fan of porting a carry gun and here is why. If you have to fire the gun while it is held close to your body in a close combat position the gasses coming out of the ports will spray directly upward into your face. Several weapon retention techniques require you to have part of your body near or covering the ports.

So I am not a fan. Save the porting for competition guns.

I do carry a ported gun.
Care must be taken to direct the ports away from the body when house clearing.
I have been trained to cant the ports at a 90 degree angle away from the body in those situations.
My gun has ports on the end of an extended barrel that point strait up.
I don't know how easy it is to deal with the gas when coming off center a la Magnporting?

Jocko and Jeepster are big advocates of porting.
Particulary Jeepster, that I believe has a ported snubbie.
I think Jocko had a ported S&W 342 as well?

My gun is a Glock G27.
I have two 357 Sig barrels for it;
1) 4.16" Dual Ported Storm Lake
2) 3.26" OEM Glock

The ported barrel, in my gun with the high pressure 357 sig,
works much better than I expected compared to the factory Glock barrel.
Recoil and muzzle flip is reduced to 9mm +P levels.

For me, in a self defense situation, follow up shooting is enhanced.

Barth
05-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Does porting a gun, specifically, a snub-nosed, affect bullet velocity and or accuracy? I'm just toying with the idea and wanted some feedback. My Ruger LCR 357 isn't bad but some folks say they would port all their carry guns.

Specifically to your question,
some velocity is lost, but not a bunch, and accuracy is not affected.

Longitude Zero
05-18-2012, 06:22 AM
For me, in a self defense situation, follow up shooting is enhanced.

How much expeirence shooting in night and low light conditions do you have and does the upward blast of gases negatively affect your vision and being able to see the front sight adequately?

Barth
05-18-2012, 06:37 AM
How much expeirence shooting in night and low light conditions do you have and does the upward blast of gases negatively affect your vision and being able to see the front sight adequately?

I have not shot in low light.
My understanding is that shooting any handgun at night, ported or not, will
temporarily blind you. Low flash gunpowder in today's self defense rounds
have limited flash anyway. I don't notice any difference in flash at all
at the range with or without ports. Using Speer GDHP, Winchester Ranger
T-Series and Federal Tactical JHP 357 Sig.

The whole flash issue is highly overrated IMHO.

Jocko actually suggested briefly closing your eyes when firing at night
ports or not. Jocko's a funny guy, but that actually makes sense to me - LOL!

Longitude Zero
05-18-2012, 06:51 AM
As a long time NRA certified firearms instructor I hope he was joking about closing your eyes as that is advice I don't know any instructor giving.

JFootin
05-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Specifically to your question,
some velocity is lost, but not a bunch, and accuracy is not affected.

+1^. +1 on reduced muzzle flip and recoil. +1 that there is going to be plenty of flash out of that 2" barrel anyway. And +1 on briefly (< 1 second) closing your eyes when you fire the gun at night — +1 for you retaining your sight, -1 for the BG being blinded for awhile.

Barth
05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
As a long time NRA certified firearms instructor I hope he was joking about closing your eyes as that is advice I don't know any instructor giving.

I can't speak for Jocko, but I think he was kidding.
I think he was alluding to trying to blink at the point of ignition.

Longitude Zero
05-18-2012, 07:06 AM

I hoped and kinda figured he was.

AIRret
05-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Hey Folks, Thanks for all the feedback. My Ruger 357 is the biggest caliber I own right now (a 45 is in my future) and the recoil doesn't bother me. But I'm just always looking for an improvement. I shoot well with it so I'll probably just leave well enough alone.

Barth
05-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey Folks, Thanks for all the feedback. My Ruger 357 is the biggest caliber I own right now (a 45 is in my future) and the recoil doesn't bother me. But I'm just always looking for an improvement. I shoot well with it so I'll probably just leave well enough alone.

Wise decision.

JFootin
05-18-2012, 08:46 AM

I think he was alluding to trying to blink at the point of ignition.

I agree seriously with Jocko on this. No kidding! The instructors need to wise up. The great tactical advantage of preserving your ability to see with a blink of the eye when shooting in the dark shouldn't be dismissed. You're probably going to blink anyway when the flash happens. So why not time it correctly to preserve your vision?

DKD
05-18-2012, 09:34 AM
To be honest if you have ever been in a gun fight or shot at in combat you will have a hell of alot more on your mind than remembering to blink or not while engaging a bag guy. You will be experiencing an adreneline dump and as such will have severly reduced dexterity and losse of fine motor skills. Many cases are our there where many people have problems with safties, aiming, and trigger control...so realistically I think the conscious blinking thing is pretty much out the window under a stressful situation.
Thats why when reading and speak to LEO's that they have so many shots expended with a small percentage of hits. Well in any event thats my take, your milaege may vary.

Barth
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I went for 20+ years without a ported gun.
I rented a 1911 race gun that was ported and compensated.
It was one of he most accurate and softest shooting guns I've ever handled.
Unfortunately it was so tight that it FTF on ball ammo with almost every mag.

Stayed away from anything but factory guns for a while.
Got an un-ported Bar-Sto for my P220 that even with four trips to four
gunsmiths was never completely reliable.

Back to factory.

Then with my Glock G27 the factory G33 OEM barrel choked bad on GDHPs.
Mad as hell I ordered a third party 357 barrel from Storm Lake.
Already having a G33 3.46" barrel.
And getting a second 357 barrel I wanted something completely different.
And got an extended ported version.

Now my G27 has six barrels in three calibers, lengths and finishes.
And the ported 357 is the most accurate and fun to shoot.

I only have the one barrel.
But I'm guessing that large dual ports, on the end of an extended barrel,
and the 40,000 psi .357 SIG work well together.

Now I'm getting a triple ported Bar-Sto made for my P239/357.
And having the chamber opened for reliable hollow point feeding.
Also orderd a Store Lake 5.10" dual ported black Isonite QPQ barrel for my
P220/45. Both take about three months to produce.

Then I'm going to have a killer shoot off.

Ported 357 Glock G27 vs Ported 357 Sig P239
And
Sig P220
Factory 4.4" barrel vs Bar-Sto 4.4"
Factory 5.47" vs Storm Lake 5.10" ported

This is going to be fun

BTW it someone is interested in porting an auto.
I really like the extended ported barrel option.
You don't have to mail the gun or slide anywhere.
No holes in the slide.
And I believe the extended barrel eliminates any velocity loss from the ports!

jeepster09
05-18-2012, 04:00 PM
One other slant on porting a carry gun....if you end up firing the gun in a defensive situation, any non-factory/OEM modification, whether port or night sights or laser or trigger job, may create a more complex civil litigation scenario. We all have to make the choices that are right for us, there is no one size fits answer.

I do not think porting would have any impact on litgation, the factory sells ported guns and Smith and Wesson even uses Magnaport for some of them. This is internet lore....like an old wives tale. Almost ALL of my guns are ported and love em! I can't see an attorney stating "your honor, his gun was ported to give him better control of his weapon, which should help prevent second shot misses, so we should prosecute him more severe".:eek:

Longitude Zero
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
In the past that can and did happen many times in civil court. Any and all modifications were treated as suspect. Now the only ones that normally get you in DEEP poopoo are lightening the trigger pull or the unforgivable sin of deactivating a safety device.

I have seen both of these situations recently on self defense shootings. Now you can bet the plaintiffs bar will question everything but sights and other mods, other than what I mentioned are generally debunked early on in the process.

CJB
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Porting.

How can this be so controversial?

Here's what - if you practice with the pistol you carry, as is a prudent thing to do, and the recoil and flip is something you find objectionable, then you can get it ported and see if its more manageable.

The idea, the premise, the very nature of any "must shoot to stop" incident makes porting or not a moot issue, UNLESS, the porting is such that your confidence in your own ability increases. That is to say, if you are recoil shy, and you have a situation in which you must shoot to stop an adversary, and you have been practicing with a ported pistol, then you will have increased confidence in yourself, your near instinctual ability to control the pistol, and hit the target. If porting does that for you, then by all means port.

I have news for folks - if you are holding the pistol in such a manner that gasses from the porting will blast into your face, dont worry... its the least of your worries. You'll suffer burns anyway from an unported pistol should it be so close to you, especially your face? And hearing... oh kiss that goodbye. Yah, you're gonna get hurt some. But you're shooting to stop, the weight is heavy, and the need is great, and the immediacy is "right now". Shoot, don't worry about the porting... its the last thing to think of.

I really don't know how it became so controversial at all. Its about like saying you could have fixed the hole in the Titanic, but didn't, because you don't like to use full polished wrenches.... they may slip in my hand.

jeepster09
05-18-2012, 08:59 PM
In the past that can and did happen many times in civil court. Any and all modifications were treated as suspect. Now the only ones that normally get you in DEEP poopoo are lightening the trigger pull or the unforgivable sin of deactivating a safety device.

I have seen both of these situations recently on self defense shootings. Now you can bet the plaintiffs bar will question everything but sights and other mods, other than what I mentioned are generally debunked early on in the process.

Trigger pull and porting are not the same. Manufacturers don't sell guns with light triggers, they do sell with porting :53:you are comparing apples to oranges. Show me one case were porting was in question by a court. I simply do not beleave it and will continue porting my guns.

Barth
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Trigger pull and porting are not the same. Manufacturers don't sell guns with light triggers, they do sell with porting :53:you are comparing apples to oranges. Show me one case were porting was in question by a court. I simply do not beleave it and will continue porting my guns.

I too have never heard of a case where porting was raised as an issue in a court case involving a defensive shooting.
Not that I'm any expert on the subject or have a wealth of experience with such cases.

I just don't see how something that reduces recoil and muzzle flip could be construed as been negligent or reckless in any way?

My EDC is ported.
And I'm in the process of porting two more autos in my carry rotation.

muggsy
05-19-2012, 06:13 AM
Real men can handle a little recoil. Only sissy boys use ported barrels. Right, Jocko? :)

jlottmc
05-20-2012, 02:50 PM
I think he is a she for the OP. I keep seeing references to "my husband". The other part of that is that could well be a shared ID, but for the most part, I think that is one of the few women that Bawanna has not proposed to.

Barth
05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
I think he is a she for the OP. I keep seeing references to "my husband". The other part of that is that could well be a shared ID, but for the most part, I think that is one of the few women that Bawanna has not proposed to.

Bawanna must think it's a guy too...

jlottmc
05-21-2012, 06:04 AM
Perhaps, I just know what I see.

ScottSouth66
05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
I owned a Taurus 945 with the round holes on the top years ago,and I didn't mind the blast,though if shooting on a range line with low ceilings,I got peppered with hot crud occasionally. THEN I shot it to put down a wounded hog in total darkness minus a glowstick,it was like a boat flare went off 3 feet away! All I could see was those 3 orange flare-ups for like 15 mins.

The slide at least occludes the brightest part of the fireball on non-ported guns,but you see the flash straight on with top-ported. I hear Magnaport slits are better in low light,kinda like a cage flash hider blast.

Considering the event of getting invited to a gunfight statistically happens late in the PM,I'd opt out for the extra holes ....my 2 centavos...

Barth
05-22-2012, 10:27 PM
I owned a Taurus 945 with the round holes on the top years ago,and I didn't mind the blast,though if shooting on a range line with low ceilings,I got peppered with hot crud occasionally. THEN I shot it to put down a wounded hog in total darkness minus a glowstick,it was like a boat flare went off 3 feet away! All I could see was those 3 orange flare-ups for like 15 mins.

The slide at least occludes the brightest part of the fireball on non-ported guns,but you see the flash straight on with top-ported. I hear Magnaport slits are better in low light,kinda like a cage flash hider blast.

Considering the event of getting invited to a gunfight statistically happens late in the PM,I'd opt out for the extra holes ....my 2 centavos...

With high tech SD ammo running low flash fast burn gunpowder.
Porting is generally considered a non issue for low light shooting these days.
I'm guessing you were not using Winchester Ranger T-Series or a like round.

ScottSouth66
05-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Corbon +p 185s...

Barth
05-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Corbon +p 185s...

Ah yes the old .45 sledge hammer rounds.
I still have a box of those.
They are real thumpers!

JFootin
05-23-2012, 10:02 AM

I still like the idea of timing the inevitable eye blink to occur just as I shoot the gun, givng me the advantage of sight over the BG who is blinded, especially if I missed and need to try again.

jlottmc
05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Try that on a calm range, and let us know how it works. I'll guarantee that in combat you damn sure won't be thinking about it, much less trying it. Sounds good on paper, but, in reality not so much. Sorry, not for me, I'll use the muzzle flash to find them if I need to. Besides low light and dark shooting really looks worse than it is, even with crap ammo.

Barth
05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Try that on a calm range, and let us know how it works. I'll guarantee that in combat you damn sure won't be thinking about it, much less trying it. Sounds good on paper, but, in reality not so much. Sorry, not for me, I'll use the muzzle flash to find them if I need to. Besides low light and dark shooting really looks worse than it is, even with crap ammo.

I have to agree.
When the guacamole hits the fan it's all instinct and training at that point.

jlottmc
05-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Indeed. The only thing I can think that went through my mind was not fit to be typed.

jeepster09
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I almost have every gun I own PORTED and will continue PORTING new guns. The positives outweigh the negatives. My XDm40 is not ported and my new T40 Kahr won't get ported; simply because they shoot so good stock.

Barth
05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
I almost have every gun I own PORTED and will continue PORTING new guns. The positives outweigh the negatives. My XDm40 is not ported and my new T40 Kahr won't get ported; simply because they shoot so good stock.

I have an extended ported 357 barrel for my Glock G27.
The porting works so well I'm having extended ported barrels made
for my Sig P239/357 by Bar-Sto and P220/45 by Storm Lake as we speak.

Like your T40, my MK40 Elite just doesn't need it.
And my three revolvers are factory shooters as well.

jeepster09
05-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I have an extended ported 357 barrel for my Glock G27.
The porting works so well I'm having extended ported barrels made
for my Sig P239/357 by Bar-Sto and P220/45 by Storm Lake as we speak.

Like your T40, my MK40 Elite just doesn't need it.
And my three revolvers are factory shooters as well.

I did do my MK40, you think yours shoots good now, you should shoot a ported MK40....GUNSMITH at Ahlman's was so impressed he said he going to get himself an MK40 and port it for a carry gun!

Barth
05-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I did do my MK40, you think yours shoots good now, you should shoot a ported MK40....GUNSMITH at Ahlman's was so impressed he said he going to get himself an MK40 and port it for a carry gun!

But you get angry,
and then turn all your guns green and ported - LOL!