PDA

View Full Version : Reflex &/or laser sight for my Glock 23

Snidely Whiplash
05-19-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking about putting either a reflex sight and/or a laser sight on my Gen 3 Glock 23. I have a very nice High Noon leather holster for it, so I'm not interested in any rail-mounted laser sight. (Like everybody else, I've got a large drawer full of holsters already - most of which will never be used.)

I'm particularly interested in the LaserMax Guide Rod Laser Sight and the Leupold DeltaPoint reflex sight, so if anybody has personal experience with one or both of these I'd love to hear from you. I'm still open to suggestions, however. Thanks.

Markis82
05-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Personally, the Lasermax guiderod laser and the Crimson Trace Laserguard, because of the position so near the business end of the barrel, after much use you cannot ever get the lens as clean as new and the red dot gets bigger a fuzzier and even broken up into pattern of small dots. I have sent a CT laserguard back to CT for that very reason. They replaced the lens and told me that if it is used a lot it would happen again and they wouldn't replace it again. It is the nature of the beast. I would only have the grip style if I were to get another laser. I cannot give a opinion on the reflex sight. Except to say, the laser and the reflex sight serve different purposes. I don't see them being compared or contrasted together.

Snidely Whiplash
05-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Personally, the Lasermax guiderod laser and the Crimson Trace Laserguard, because of the position so near the business end of the barrel, after much use you cannot ever get the lens as clean as new and the red dot gets bigger a fuzzier and even broken up into pattern of small dots. I have sent a CT laserguard back to CT for that very reason. They replaced the lens and told me that if it is used a lot it would happen again and they wouldn't replace it again. It is the nature of the beast. I would only have the grip style if I were to get another laser. I cannot give a opinion on the reflex sight. Except to say, the laser and the reflex sight serve different purposes. I don't see them being compared or contrasted together.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I think I understand the different purposes of the two sights. The old eyes aren't what they used to be, so I was thinking of the reflex for day and laser for night. Maybe I should just carry a "scatter gun" like in the old wild West. Paying the fee to the BATFE would be cheaper than buying even one of these sights. A bit harder to conceal, of course, and there is the small matter of 'collateral damage'...

Markis82
05-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Snidely Whiplash...apologies for hijacking your thread.

Markis82....how many rounds before you had problems with CTC? Lasermax? 100's or 10000's? I have 3 each of both CTC and Lasermax and am interested when I need to start loking more closely for problems.My Crimson Trace was on my LCP. I don't know if the barrel length and/or the .380 cartridge vs a Kahr 9mm or bigger would make a difference. I noticed after about 500 rounds the red dot seemed to be "out of focus". After 700 rounds I contacted CT and send it in for repair. After it returned, I sold the LCP w/CT. Watch for the dot getting fuzzy or not as sharp as it once was. Just before I sent it in, the dot almost looked like 3 separate dots. BTW, I did clean it after every range session as per instructions. Personally, I have nothing against lasers. But, I would stay away from ones that mount in such a way that the lens in near the muzzle and go with a grip or side mount style. That way it will never experience GPR build-up.

Snidely Whiplash
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
No apologies necessary, TexianDave. I'm interested in what Markis82 and you are talking about, too.

The first one that really got my attention was the Lasermax Guide rod laser. Like everybody else, I guess, I like the laser being both internal and as close to the bore as possible. Your 23 hasn't shaken anything loose yet, huh? I've been thinking about converting mine into a 9mm - less recoil and cheaper ammo. Now, after reading Markis82's posting, I'm a bit concerned about the internal laser being too close to the muzzle.

A big dot sight set might really be all I need, but when I saw the Trijicon RMR and the Leupold DeltaPoint, I was beguiled by them - forgot to wear ear protection from the irresistible song of the 'gun accessory sirens', so it may already be too late for me... I may now 'need" one or the other.

Snidely Whiplash
05-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Thanks, TexianDave. I've been looking for someone in this area who has a 23 (or some other model Glock) with the guide rod laser so I can see it for myself and hear what the owner has to say about it. Sooner or later, though, I just may have to be the guinea pig and buy one to find out.

Considering that the Leupold DeltaPoint sight costs twice what the guide rod laser sight does, I doubt I'll have much luck finding anyone with one of those. I'll just have to decide whether it's worth it to me to buy one to try it out.

My sister put a Crimson Trace laser grip on her new G19 and a CT Laserguard on her CM9 - both are pretty nice.

Barth
05-24-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm thinking about putting either a reflex sight and/or a laser sight on my Gen 3 Glock 23. I have a very nice High Noon leather holster for it, so I'm not interested in any rail-mounted laser sight. (Like everybody else, I've got a large drawer full of holsters already - most of which will never be used.)

I'm particularly interested in the LaserMax Guide Rod Laser Sight and the Leupold DeltaPoint reflex sight, so if anybody has personal experience with one or both of these I'd love to hear from you. I'm still open to suggestions, however. Thanks.

I have one of the early LaserMax guide rod thingies for my Sig Sauer P220/45.
The on off switch sucks and is nearly unusable for a draw and fire self defense scenario IMHO.
The lens gets gun powder residue on it.
And I prefer my BedAir stainless guide rod anyway.

The pulsating red dot is daylight visible and It will impress your friends.
I took it out and never use it.
Understand some of our troops use Crimson Trace.
If I were going to have one that would be the one.

Personally I'll take XS Systems 24/7 Express Big Dots over anything
seven days a week and twice on Sunday!

Snidely Whiplash
05-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks, Barth. Lots to ponder.