PDA

View Full Version : Wife Buying me a 1911

itsthelaw
05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
My wife is hinting around about what kind of gun I am looking to purchase and she knows about the 1911s. My birthday and Father's Day are near. Although she likes my passion for them, her usual question is, "Are you looking at guns again?" I will be buying a PM45 soon, but don't want to waste her enthusiasm on the PM45...not that it isn't special.

I really want a 1911 and don't have one. Although I can't imaging lugging one around on my side, I do want to stay with something that can be carried. This is most likely going to be in my truck or on my side while hunting or messing around in the woods. I am lured to the 4-4.25" barrel and aluminum or scandium. I will use it and not keep it in safe.

Here are my questions...

Is there a huge difference in 1911s in the price ranges of $800-$1000 and $1200-$1500?
Do I lose much accuracy at 4.25" compared to 5"?
What are some of the best options in each range?
Is a used premium (Dan Wesson, Les Baer, etc) 1911 in the $1200-$1500 range a great option?

My 1911 hunting has brought me to lightweight models by S&W (SC), Kimber (carry), Colt (xse), SA (lightweight) and Sig (rcs, c3). I am staying away from the shorter barrels for now. It seems like SA and Kimber are always crowd favorites, Colt doesn't offer as much these days, S&Ws are just okay, and Sigs are loaded with options.

Thanks for any and all comments!:D

MW surveyor
05-24-2012, 09:21 AM
So I guess being surprised is out. Can't really comment on the 4" barrels as I've only on full size 1911. I'm sure that the resident 1911 fanatics (and general gun nuts) will be along shortly to give you all sorts of advice.

I have found however that surprises are not that great at times so I generally write down what I want, sku or stock number, where it is located and how much it costs. Wife thought that that was kinda tacky but her friends thought that that was a great idea and got their husbands to do the same at Christmas time. That way you get what you want!

Armybrat
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a fine wwife you got there!

The new Ruger SR1911 looks to be a great moderately priced 1911 with some nice features, but they are almost impossible to get. Same for the new Remington 1911. I would love to have them both.

Springfield Armory actually stopped production of their basic GI 45 model to try to meet the demand for all their other 1911 versions.

Am glad I got my stainless GI several years ago (paid $470 new). It's an awesome firearm,, and my only 1911. All their prices increased somewhat to about $700 & up.

I hear Colt has reintroduced some of their 1911s, but have no info on them.

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/1911pistols001.jpg

Bawanna
05-24-2012, 09:28 AM
True words of wisdom there. To the unknowing a gun is a gun, a drill is a drill. End users know this is a gun, that is a POS. This is a drill, that is a POS.

My wife likes suprises but I'd rather have directions. This is a diamond ring, this is a diamond ring, both are stupid expensive for a rock dug out of the ground. And don't even get me started on flowers that are in the trash in 4 days.

itsthelaw
05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
I have learned that, for me, hunting for a good deal on a gun is part of the fun. It could also save us some $$$. For the savings of a couple hundred $ and getting exactly what I want, I will forgo the aha moment. I have my ways to make her think she is in control...

Bawanna
05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
I have learned that, for me, hunting for a good deal on a gun is part of the fun. It could also save us some $$$. For the savings of a couple hundred $ and getting exactly what I want, I will forgo the aha moment. I have my ways to make her think she is in control...

That sounds like a marketable book to me. Mine really is in control, I'd love to learn your method of getting my pants back and letting her think I'm still her pawn. I'd probably even pay.

itsthelaw
05-24-2012, 09:33 AM
For some reason, I have seen several SR1911s for sale on my NC boards lately for ~$750.

MW surveyor
05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Are you guys gonna help or just jaw all day!

itsthelaw
05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Mine is Irish and not Scandanavian, so the only time she is angry and controlling is when she is drinking too much! Sometimes it isn't even bad...

Was that sexist or racist? Forgot my politically correct filter.

Bawanna
05-24-2012, 10:26 AM
My wife is hinting around about what kind of gun I am looking to purchase and she knows about the 1911s. My birthday and Father's Day are near. Although she likes my passion for them, her usual question is, "Are you looking at guns again?" I will be buying a PM45 soon, but don't want to waste her enthusiasm on the PM45...not that it isn't special.

I really want a 1911 and don't have one. Although I can't imaging lugging one around on my side, I do want to stay with something that can be carried. This is most likely going to be in my truck or on my side while hunting or messing around in the woods. I am lured to the 4-4.25" barrel and aluminum or scandium. I will use it and not keep it in safe.

Here are my questions...

Is there a huge difference in 1911s in the price ranges of $800-$1000 and $1200-$1500?
Do I lose much accuracy at 4.25" compared to 5"?
What are some of the best options in each range?
Is a used premium (Dan Wesson, Les Baer, etc) 1911 in the $1200-$1500 range a great option?

My 1911 hunting has brought me to lightweight models by S&W (SC), Kimber (carry), Colt (xse), SA (lightweight) and Sig (rcs, c3). I am staying away from the shorter barrels for now. It seems like SA and Kimber are always crowd favorites, Colt doesn't offer as much these days, S&Ws are just okay, and Sigs are loaded with options.

Thanks for any and all comments!:D

Ok lets address this. My personal opinions only. Maybe not worth the space they take up in cyber space.
There can be huge differences across the price spectrum but at the same time some of the lower end versions can be darn nice. Some of the price is bells and whistles you may not need, some is very good fitting and function that takes time that you have to pay for but you can't really see but you certainly can feel. Think Ford Taurus/Mercedes.
Some is the name attached, an often times worth every cent, they've earned their reputation.
You can get a really nice 1911 without spending 1500.
You'll lose very little accuracy with the 4 1/4 over the 5, other factors would have more effect, feel, balance, sights.

I thought my used Dan Wesson was a great option, I got very lucky. It was hardly used and totally unmessed with. I had to pay around 1300 as I recall, maybe slightly less. BUT 2 years earlier you could buy the same gun all day long brand new for 850. It was a matter of this is a good gun, we can sell it for more money and people will still buy it. So model change Vbob from Cbob and a 500+ price increase. Discontinue the more desirable Cbob (my opinion)and the price heads up.

There are more choices than ever before and darn good ones. So you kind of need to figure out in your head what you really want and really need.
I carry that earlier mentioned CBob every day. Kind of stuck on that but all the others are very similar with a few changes mixed in.
I went the compact 3" and 3 1/2'' 1911's for awhile and found that I shot better and liked the full size better so I'm back to the bigger ones. I occasionally carry my Desert Eagle, or Para and the SR 1911 will ride if / when I ever get out to shoot it. A half inch of barrel don't make a lot of difference.

It will never be a PM9 in your pocket and I'm perfectly ok with that. When the elephant rears his big head I want to be shooting not fishing in my pocket.

I'd ponder and look awhile, no right answer here and each has their own idea of what is the right one.

Too much information.

Stay on track MW. OK?

isthelaw, you did an awesome job on your step dads gun, I really am not sure you need any help. I think you got it figured out.

MW surveyor
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
OK, affirmative, roger that, will do, etc.........

DKD
05-24-2012, 03:54 PM
The Kimber is a very nice option for the price. Now if it is a bit stiff maybe you might just take a look at the new Remington R-1 Enhanced which has a few nice options and is moderatley priced. They are quite tight and the slide operation is as smooth as butter. If I am not mistaken that model is a 5" and you were looking for a 4" or there about. To answer your question the 4" is just as accurate as any 5" the only diference is in the sighting radius is loner on the 5" which makes shooting it easier for most poeple. My 3" carry Ultra Raptor was harder to group at longer ranges for that very reason...the pistols are more capable than any shooter. I have read where some expert shooters actually got 1 1/2" sub groups at 25 yards with ammo the pistol liked.

JFootin
05-24-2012, 04:02 PM
How can you improve on one of these?
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac61/gstuffnow/ColtsandaCigar.jpg

TheTman
05-24-2012, 05:08 PM
It's kind of a myth that longer barrels are more accurate. They do however produce more velocity which can change point of impact and things. As long as you have enough barrel to spin and stabilize the bullet, accuracy doesn't change much with longer barreled pistol at SD ranges. I've experminted with the Dan Wesson, which has various length barrels, and groups size difference between the 4" and the 6" are negligable. You get a longer sight radius with the longer barrel, which may cause you to shoot more accurately, but the gun is just as accurate with either barrel.

Ithaca45
05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I have a couple of full sized 1911's an old Ithaca and a Kimber Raptor. They shoot great, but what I carry most of the time is my Colt Lightweight Commander. It too shoots great and is easy to carry. I would definitely go with the Commander size if that is what you want.

ilmbaba
05-24-2012, 07:53 PM
I recently bought my first 1911. I did not have deep pockets, and after doing a lot of research, settled in on the Rock Island Armory 1911A1. $439 and virtually nothing but great reviews everywhere I looked. This gun has been a dream for me. Not a single FTF, FTE, or FTAnythingElse. I was shooting tight groups right out of the box, and I'm a lousy shot. It doesn't have a lot of extras, but I never had a 1911, so I don't know that I'm "missing" all these great things. I did put on Hogue Rubber Grips and an Extended Slide Release, both easy and inexpensive, and no modifcation necessary.
I, by necessity, do my shopping with an eye on savings, and it has never let me down...except for maybe that old Ford Pinto way back when, but even that ran good for awhile.
If you are looking at spending $1000 or more, get the RIA and your PM45.

HenryinFlorida
05-25-2012, 06:58 AM
If you want to go the less expensive route you can do what I did. I bought a MetroArms American Classic II from Bud's in January for $446 delivered to my FFL. It's a really well made pistol IMO. I have only shot a little over 200 rounds through it, but it has functioned perfectly.

Just another way to go.....

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/henryogonowski/ACII.jpg

yqtszhj
05-25-2012, 09:16 AM
I recently bought my first 1911. I did not have deep pockets, and after doing a lot of research, settled in on the Rock Island Armory 1911A1. $439 and virtually nothing but great reviews everywhere I looked. This gun has been a dream for me. Not a single FTF, FTE, or FTAnythingElse. I was shooting tight groups right out of the box, and I'm a lousy shot. It doesn't have a lot of extras, but I never had a 1911, so I don't know that I'm "missing" all these great things. I did put on Hogue Rubber Grips and an Extended Slide Release, both easy and inexpensive, and no modifcation necessary.
I, by necessity, do my shopping with an eye on savings, and it has never let me down...except for maybe that old Ford Pinto way back when, but even that ran good for awhile.
If you are looking at spending $1000 or more, get the RIA and your PM45.

Not a bad idea there. 2 guns for the price of one. Or a RIA and a CW45 for about $900. Then you can get $300 worth of .45 ammo.:D

Markis82
05-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I spent a little more and got a 1911 MADE IN AMERICA! I'm sure the Philippines can use the business. But, we here in American, we should get it first. Besides, Made In American some how looks right on the side of the gun. Actually mine says, Made In Yonkers New York. I'm so gosh darn happy with my Kimber, I cannot even express it.

TheTman
05-25-2012, 10:16 AM
You think Kimber would notice if I broke the external extractor off with some needle nose pliers and sent it in to get fixed? The question is rhetoric, my conscience would never let me do that. Now if it was WalMart, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Bawanna
05-25-2012, 10:25 AM
You might just send them in inquiry and tell them honestly that you don't have an issue but it's nagging in the back of your head and you worry about it.
You can sensationalize without being dishonest.

For a long time they refused to admit there was a problem and they finally accepted it and just started doing the right thing. I never could figure how Smith had such good luck with external extractors, Sig seems to work too, but Kimber just couldn't make it gel.

They just might take care of you. Nothing to lose and a nice new slide to gain.

I can't recall how many times my darn Missouri honesty has cheated me out of some good opportunities but I sleep good at night, course that could be the scotch too.

Tinman507
05-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Nah, a momentary lapse in honesty can create a whole world of bad karma.
Not worth it.

JFootin
05-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Nah, a momentary lapse in honesty can create a whole world of bad karma.
Not worth it.

That's quite a statement from George Castanza! :lie:

Deano
05-25-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm just marveling that you have a wife that's going to buy you a 1911. I have to buy my guns in total secrecy. How'd you do it?

Tinman507
05-25-2012, 12:04 PM
That's quite a statement from George Castanza! :lie:

Ironic ain't it? :israel:

itsthelaw
05-25-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm just marveling that you have a wife that's going to buy you a 1911. I have to buy my guns in total secrecy. How'd you do it?

She has her vices too, so it is a trade off. Her vices are related to her looking good, so it is a benefit to me too. More likely, it is because this is my second marriage. This one was put through a much more strict and mature vetting process. :bump2:

Deano
05-25-2012, 01:31 PM
She has her vices too, so it is a trade off. Her vices are related to her looking good, so it is a benefit to me too. More likely, it is because this is my second marriage. This one was put through a much more strict and mature vetting process. :bump2:
Vetting process... I like that. Live and learn I guess. Anyway, good luck with your 1911 search.

jlottmc
05-26-2012, 09:40 AM
If you want to go the less expensive route you can do what I did. I bought a MetroArms American Classic II from Bud's in January for $446 delivered to my FFL. It's a really well made pistol IMO. I have only shot a little over 200 rounds through it, but it has functioned perfectly.

Just another way to go.....

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/henryogonowski/ACII.jpg

This is what my Commander is, in all stainless. Good gun, works well, and is MILSPEC. Here's my take, first make sure that it is MILSPEC (parts and commonality bit, more on that later), second the full size is a work of art, but the balance and feel of the Commander make them feel better. Thing about that part though, the Commander (it's not a Commander unless it has a 4 1/4" bbl, not a 4", just me) is still a bit of a connoisseurs gun, but it is damn sexy and pleasant to carry all day. The full size is right and feel good when firing, and can be damned accurate as well. I mentioned the MILSPEC thing, what that does for you is allow parts to be changed easily, and things like grips to be changed, by making everything a common size, pattern etc. you'll appreciate that later. My advice, get a pair of Metro's (one each Commander and Full sized) or Rock Island etc., or go down and handle some at your LGS. Remember there is also a huge difference in feel with an arched mainspring housing, vs. flat, and the grip safety variations. There's my .02, spend it wisely.