PDA

View Full Version : PM9 and XTP's

Jitterbug
06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Guys

I'm working on a couple of loads for the PM9 and wanted to toss these out there for review, opinion and comments.

124 gr. XTP, new WW brass, WSP, AA7, 7.3, 7.5 and 7.7 gr. @ 1.085" COL.

The Hornady 7th has 7.9 gr. as max. @ 1.060"

147 gr. XTP, new WW brass, WSP, AA7, 6.2, 6.4, and 6.6 gr. @ 1.110" COL.

Hornady 7th has 6.7 gr. as max @ 1.100"

I only worked up 7 of each and was going to test them in my older PM9, previously I've been working up loads and running them in a new M&P9c first and then my two PM9's, one is a 2003 and the other a 2011 model.

It's somewhat time consuming to go about it this way and I'm considering just going forward with the above loads in the older PM9 only. I have been using the M+P as my "test" platform just because it seems to be more robust design.

I'm hoping to shoot within the next week and will post results when I do, I was just wondering if any one else has any experience with loading the XTP's and or AA7 for their 9mm Kahrs.

I did chrono a 147 gr. Zero load the other day. 6.0 gr. of AA7 got me 817 fps. Accuracy was just ok in both Kahrs, and outstanding in the M+P.

FireMoose
06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
evry gun is different. each load will shoot differently out of 2 identical guns. keep that load for yer m and p and start developing yer kahr loads.

i'm still testing with 147 xtps, best i've found was 4.2 gr power pistol at 1.1 but i've got 4.6-5.0 still to test...oddly enough, my CZ 85 combat shot the 4.2 terrible but each of the others great! /shrug

DM123
06-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I've traditionally used HP-38 and Universal Clays formula. I recently bought some WSF by mistake thinking it was WST. It is a slightly slower burning powder than either HP-38 or Universal Clays formula. Said what the heck, and loaded some up.

My goal, with the PM9 was low to moderate recoil, consistent cycling of the slide (no FTF), and accuracy. I'm now thinking it was fate, as I kind of like the powder. I've had no FTF with 100 rounds fired out of a new PM9. I use 4.5 gr WSF, 124 gr Berry FP hollow base, 1.090 OAL and .356 crimp. Get 950-975 fps speeds. My books say I could up the powder a bit if I wanted but I'm happy where I'm at. My PM9 is kind of snappy on the crotch of my hand with full power loads and after a box ain't no fun.

One other thing, this powder meters well and doesn't come close to filling up the case leaving plenty of room for the bullet, not mashing down the powder with the bullet, compressing the powder.

All my 9s seem to like the 124 gr bullets better than the 115 gr. Tried some 147 once and they seemed to be just to much bullet.

My CCW loads are Hornady FTX bought from the gun shop. They are a bit expensive when compared to my reloads but I haven't heard anything definitive over the controversy of using a reloads in case CCW has to be put in action on the legal front.