PDA

View Full Version : PM40 or PM9?

Frankhenrylee
02-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Hey guys whats up? I'm sure this has been on here before but I'm trying to decide. I've prefer the 40, but the 9 seems to be more reliable from reports I've seen. So whats you guys opinion? Are they equals or is one preferred more than the other? Also, what holster do you guys like for yours?

deadhead1971
02-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Have you shot a .40 polymer sub-compact auto? There is a BIG difference in recoil in the .40 versus the tame 9mm. That's why I went with the 9mm because this PM9 is my range gun. Some folks can shoot a .40 sub-compact all day. That is the biggest issue between the two--recoil.

kb2wji
02-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Uh oh I smell a caliber war :) Each has its advantages. I carry a .45 on duty, but my backup gun and all off duty guns are 9mm. I have a soft spot for 9mm. Dirt cheap to buy ammo, high velocity, usually higher capacity by one or two, faster followup shots (which in my eyes is slightly more desireable in a defense situation than being a hair splitting bullseye shooter) etc... However, the .40 is a superb round also. I've never fired a .40 Kahr, so I can only speak to my PM9, which with an agrip, shoots very well. Holsters is another personal preference. I'll never pocket carry or IWB carry. For me its either an open top leather slide holster, fobus paddle holster, or a small thumb break leather holster (depending on situation, dress, etc...) Either way it has to ride outside my belt. My favorite holster is the $20 leather slide holster thats all over ebay. It has no security, but it hides extremely well, and rides high, so an untucked shirt does not have to be big to hide it.

jocko
02-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I think the problem with the PM40 over the PM9 is just size, recoil is alot more in the 40 cal kahrs due to the light weight, so when one reads of issues, normally it is shooter error. alot of limpwristing in 40 cals due to the recoil and the grip actualy twisiting in ones grip. those that have no issues normaly are people who have mastered these little guns.
No doubt you willhear more complaints for 40 kahr shooters in thepolymer version than the 9mm polymer shooters and it recoil function wise they are identical in design but more issues seem to pop up on the 40 cal polymer kahrs and I attribute that to the ultra light weight of the gun. Most 40 all steel kahr shooter have no issues to speak of.

I lean towards the 9mm in my PM9, just seems to work great for me and recoil is nothing and ammo is about half price of 40 cal stuff and right now easier to find even.
Best thing one can do before investing in either is to serach around and ask who has one of each and seeif you can test shoot it. alot of ranges have the kahr 40 and 9mm for rental.

A 40 cal kahr polymer can be tamed by magna porting also, which by many reports back by those who have done it verify alot less recoil and really a pleasant gun "now" to shoot...

Take your time before you buy, take what I say as materail to think about, only you can be sure of which gun is right.

Frankhenrylee
02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
I haven't shot a lot of different pistols. You guys tell me if you think its an accurate statement to say that the .40 kicks more than even a .45. I've mostly been an XD fan but need something smaller. Do you think the PM45 has less felt recoil than the PM40?

In-Yo-Grill
02-23-2010, 09:58 AM
PM9 has my vote but only because I got rid of the only .40 cal gun I had last year.

jocko
02-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I haven't shot a lot of different pistols. You guys tell me if you think its an accurate statement to say that the .40 kicks more than even a .45. I've mostly been an XD fan but need something smaller. Do you think the PM45 has less felt recoil than the PM40?

say the 40 kicks more especially in the PM series. both are controllable the PM40 is lighter than the PM45, and smaller also.. Both will contribute to more recoil ..

Jeremiah/Az
02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
I like the smaller size & lighter weight of the PM9. Recoil & noise are less than the .40 or .45 too. I have a P380 that I will carry some after the break in time.

boykinguy
02-23-2010, 06:44 PM
My K40 is as small and light as I want to go in a 40. For me I don't think the 40 would be much fun in a PM version. On the other hand my PM9 is a lot of fun to shoot and comfortable to carry. Carry holster is an Aholster IWB PWii. Very comfortable. Forget its there.

TxKahr
02-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I went with the PM9 because my other gun is a Glock 26 and I wanted to stick with the same caliber. I have the CrossBreed SuperTuck for the Glock and the Comp-Tac MTAC for the PM9. I like the MTAC for the PM9 because it is easy to conceal and comfortable to wear all day long.

TxKahr

Frankhenrylee
02-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I went with the PM9 because my other gun is a Glock 26 and I wanted to stick with the same caliber. I have the CrossBreed SuperTuck for the Glock and the Comp-Tac MTAC for the PM9. I like the MTAC for the PM9 because it is easy to conceal and comfortable to wear all day long.

TxKahr
HEY TXKahr, I was wondering what it is you prefer about the MTAC over the Crossbreed?

TxKahr
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
HEY TXKahr, I was wondering what it is you prefer about the MTAC over the Crossbreed?

The MTAC has the combat cut, so I can get my hand around the grip easily before pulling the gun out of the holster. I know I can modify the ST myself, but I do not have one that fits the PM9 which has become my primary carry piece since I bought it.

I also do not like the metal clips on the CB ST. They were scratching my old belt and they are a lot wider than the ones on the MTAC. I have been running my belt over the MTAC clip on the front to conceal it a little better. I ordered the beltman belt without velcro, so the v-clips are really not an option for me.

Without a T-Shirt under my cover garment, the MTAC is more comfortable on my skin due to the soft leather covering most of the back of the holster.

TxKahr

paisa777
02-25-2010, 08:40 AM
The MTAC has the combat cut, so I can get my hand around the grip easily before pulling the gun out of the holster. I know I can modify the ST myself, but I do not have one that fits the PM9 which has become my primary carry piece since I bought it.

I also do not like the metal clips on the CB ST. They were scratching my old belt and they are a lot wider than the ones on the MTAC. I have been running my belt over the MTAC clip on the front to conceal it a little better. I ordered the beltman belt without velcro, so the v-clips are really not an option for me.

Without a T-Shirt under my cover garment, the MTAC is more comfortable on my skin due to the soft leather covering most of the back of the holster.

TxKahr

TxKahr, did the fact that the MTAC can have interchangable kydex pieces help you out any also? I just bought my first gun, a G19, and a PM9 will be my second gun. For holster, I was thinking of getting either the CB or the MTAC. When I saw the MTAC was interchangeable, I figured it would save me some money instead of getting two holsters. So is the comfort worth it? Thanks.

Raoul
02-25-2010, 04:42 PM

TxKahr

Oddly enough, I noticed that during the ammo drought I could almost always find a box of .40 for my PM40.

Beltman? The beltman rocks.

swampman
02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Oddly enough, I noticed that during the ammo drought I could almost always find a box of .40 for my PM40.

that's what I noticed too Raul,I guess because it's a less popular caliber. :)

Raoul
02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
that's what I noticed too Raul,I guess because it's a less popular caliber. :)

Actually, LEO round. Very popular.

TxKahr
02-25-2010, 06:07 PM
TxKahr, did the fact that the MTAC can have interchangable kydex pieces help you out any also? I just bought my first gun, a G19, and a PM9 will be my second gun. For holster, I was thinking of getting either the CB or the MTAC. When I saw the MTAC was interchangeable, I figured it would save me some money instead of getting two holsters. So is the comfort worth it? Thanks.

I like the CB for my Glock 26 because the gun is so fat and I wanted the thinnest possible leather/Kydex holster. Even with the PM9 in the slightly thicker MTAC, the G26 is much fatter. In fact, I have only worn my G26 once since buying the PM9 because the smaller gun is much more comfortable.

I do not think I will be changing out the Kydex because I have a holster for both of my guns. If I buy another gun, I will probably buy another holster. It is cumbersome to change the Kydex on the MTAC, so I doubt I would want to do it on a daily basis. Maybe if I sell my PM9, I might consider changing the Kydex for my new EDC piece, but that will not be for a while.

By the way, my PM9 fits all the way down into the CB Glock 26 holster, but it is a little loose. I would not carry it every day in there, but I could do it in a pinch. I only mention it so you know you might be able to go back and forth without changing the Kydex. (My Glock does not fit into the MTAC because it is too fat)

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture140-glock-cb-st-pm-9-mtac.jpg

TxKahr

TxKahr
02-25-2010, 06:22 PM

I made the mistake of buying the rounded belt buckle. I read the many notes on his website, but he did not specifically say the rounded buckle would tear up the edges of the belt in a matter of days.

I had to order the square buckle ($5) and then, use a permanent marker to color the edges black again. You cannot tell now, unless you look real close.

Overall, it is a good gun belt, but I think he should remove the rounded buckle as a choice, so others do not have the problem I experienced.

This was my belt after just 5 days of use with the chrome rounded buckle.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture179-beltman.jpg

TxKahr

jeep45238
02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
In a gun that small, I'll happily take the 9mm over a .40 S&W

CHLChris
02-25-2010, 07:54 PM
I have thought very seriously about the MK40, but that is the lightest I would go in a concealable pocket .40. If I need tiny, 9mm should be fine. If I need firepower potentially, I'd rather take a full-size .40 (which I don't have right now but I'm accepting donations).

Raoul
02-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Sorry guys but I have to disagree. The PM40 is more than manageable and very accurate. I recent shot the LCP and the PM40 is easier to shoot and waaaaay more accurate.

Frankhenrylee
03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
A good grip goes a long way. My xd 40 was alot easier to control than the fullsize glock 40 that I used to have. Thats one reason why I think the 45 would be easy to shoot. Its got a good grip size for my hand.

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 01:04 PM

I can't offer any scientific proof this is true but I believe the PM45 will have less recoil than the PM40. I have a K40, it's heavy and it recoils alot. Manageable but still a kick. I like the 40 round, not nearly as much as a 45 but still a great round. In an XD or a Glock good combo. Also why I think a K45 would be the sweetest thing.

jeep45238
03-04-2010, 02:02 PM
The reason .40S&W feels like a heavier recoiling round is due to it's pressure curve versus a .45ACP.

.45 runs from 16Ksi to 21Ksi - .40 from 29Ksi to 35Ksi. The .45 is more of a continuous push, while the .40 is a violent snap that ends suddenly. Both have similar ft/lbs of energy, just that the dwell on the recoil of the .45ACP is longer, hence lower percieved recoil.

jocko
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I can't offer any scientific proof this is true but I believe the PM45 will have less recoil than the PM40. I have a K40, it's heavy and it recoils alot. Manageable but still a kick. I like the 40 round, not nearly as much as a 45 but still a great round. In an XD or a Glock good combo. Also why I think a K45 would be the sweetest thing.

Never say I can't offer any scientif proof. You should say to shorten it more that my SWAG. (scientific wild ass guess ).

I hate to have to agree with you as it makes my puke even, but the 45 would be more fun to shoot and the 9mm the most fun of all.:der:

jocko
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
The reason .40S&W feels like a heavier recoiling round is due to it's pressure curve versus a .45ACP.

.45 runs from 16Ksi to 21Ksi - .40 from 29Ksi to 35Ksi. The .45 is more of a continuous push, while the .40 is a violent snap that ends suddenly. Both have similar ft/lbs of energy, just that the dwell on the recoil of the .45ACP is longer, hence lower percieved recoil.

that certainly explains it. now does Ksi mean kisses per inch?? or kindly stick it???

If I say I am getting alot of Ksi's will everyone know what I am talking about???
Wyn wants to know, he just doesn't know how to ask it in less than 5000 words..

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
:D:DWell based on my SWAG I don't have a clue what a KSi might be. But Kisses per inch works for me. I've always based by feelings on feel myself. If it kicks really really hard I report mucho recoil. If it kicks really really really hard, I report mucho recoil and hurts like sunny beach. If it don't kick really really hard I report not mucho recoil. Numbers and such give me a headache. I use to really dig recoil, not so much anymore. I actually blew up a Ruger 45 colt using PO Ackerly tri plex loads. Figured it worked in a carbine a Ruger had to be tough enough. Not tough enough. Ruger claimed no fault of course but replaced the cylinder (didn't blow, just bulged it bad) and reblued the whole gun for free. I'm honored to say I actually spoke with William B. Ruger live and in person on the phone. Nice guy, told me send er in, I'll fix it. Unbelieveable to this day.
I'm especially honored that Mr. Jocko agreed with me on anything, even though it made his puke even. Why I'm allowed to share the same air with some of you folks is mystifying in my SWAG.
Everyone in the pool pay up, I got Mr. Jocko to say 45!!!!!!:D

jeep45238
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Ksi = thousands of pounds per square inch (1Ksi = 1,000 psi)