PDA

View Full Version : PM45 or PM40?

Frankhenrylee
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't have a way of getting to shoot both these guns, but maybe some of you have. Which has the least felt recoil? I know it would seem like the .45 would kick more, but .40's have a real snappy recoil where the .45 seems more like a push, if that makes sense. Let me know what you guys think about it.

Smoke Eater
02-23-2010, 01:59 PM
I agree with the snap vs. push comment and I think you should go with the PM45! and it just so happens that I have one for sale if you decide to go that route? Stainless slide, regular sights!

swampman
02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I don't have a way of getting to shoot both these guns, but maybe some of you have. Which has the least felt recoil? I know it would seem like the .45 would kick more, but .40's have a real snappy recoil where the .45 seems more like a push, if that makes sense. Let me know what you guys think about it.
I have the pm40 it is a great gun,less concealable than the pm9 more concealable than the pm45,the the .40 has more muzzel energy than the .45 ,not considering the +p of the .45,.40 s&w does not offer +p ammo yet. :D

500KV
02-23-2010, 02:18 PM
I often shoot my CW40 and CW45 when I go to the range and the .40 definitely has more recoil with comparable loads, not unpleasant at all though.
I carry both on occasion and would recommend either caliber.

jocko
02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I have the pm40 it is a great gun,less concealable than the pm9 more concealable than the pm45,the the .40 has more muzzel energy than the .45 ,not considering the +p of the .45,.40 s&w does not offer +p ammo yet. :D

PM40 and PM9 just darn near exactly the same size. PM40 5.35 inches long, PM9 5.3 inches long, PM40 weighs 1.8 ounes more. they should conceal almost the same. Not sur ethe PM45 would make a good pocket gun like the PM40 and PM9 but I have heard of quite a few who do pocket carry it. Nothing wrong with owning all 3 either;)

gj47
02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Although my pm45 isn't running right yet is is more controlable than the pm40 I have shot. With that said a pm40 firing some lighter ammunition vs the pm45 firing some heavier ammo the difference may not be as noticable. If you can swing the size difference my vote is the pm45.

Bawanna
02-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I agree with the snap vs. push comment and I think you should go with the PM45! and it just so happens that I have one for sale if you decide to go that route? Stainless slide, regular sights!

PM me the details on the PM45 for sale if these other fellas haven't jumped all over it. I know Ms MX5fan is on the prowl for one also. If I'm bidding against her let me know and I'll bow out. Not sure I have enough marbles to trade yet but maybe I got something you want?
I like my K40 but for the weight factor it bucks more than it should. I can handle recoil in a light gun but not heavy too.
I'm also a steel gun guy but sort a like computers sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.:rolleyes:

mx5fan
02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for thinking of me, Bawanna.. your a gentlemane and a scholar. But, I'll have to wait on the PM45 for the moment...such is life in the fast lane. One of these days, I'd like to be able to shoot the .45 before purchasing it, I'll have to check with some of the guys at the range and see if I can sweet talk them into letting me :33:

In-Yo-Grill
02-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Put me on the list behind Bawanna for the PM45. I may have a gun to trade or may be willing to buy outright if we can agree on a price.

PM me or shoot me an e-mail at thedesignline@sbcglobal.net
Again...let Bawanna have first crack at it please.

Frankhenrylee
02-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Hey Smokey, just wandering why you're selling it and how much your asking. I have a Springfield Armory XD-M 9mm that I could trade if your were interested. The XDM is a sweet gun, its just way to big to carry, although I still do. Have you had any issues with yours? I've seen that a few have, but I think it might be due to the larger 230gr. bullets. Let me know!

Bawanna
02-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for thinking of me, Bawanna.. your a gentlemane and a scholar. But, I'll have to wait on the PM45 for the moment...such is life in the fast lane. One of these days, I'd like to be able to shoot the .45 before purchasing it, I'll have to check with some of the guys at the range and see if I can sweet talk them into letting me :33:

No worries, I'd like to shoot one also, I've had reservations about them but most of the talk here has convinced me that it would work. I'll be checking the ranges and if I see one I'll be begging to try it. I'm sure my sweet talking capabilities are'nt any where near yours. I still can't stop thinking of our bobtail, think you put a curse on me.
Thanks In-yo-grill for your consideration and Frankhenrylee for some good questions.
Ms. Zena, welfare check, where are you?:confused:

dschubert
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
If concealment is not the overriding issue consider the PM45 if you have bigger hands. The trigger reach on thePM9 and PM40 are a bit short for me the PM45 is much better and more shootable.

...but I carry a PM9 all day every day because I can hide it no matter what I am wearing.

hsart
02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I like to pocketcarry and am finding that the PM45 is just a tad too big for my cargo pockets - it fits, but certain movements causes some concealment issues. For that reason I'll shift EDC to a PM9.

jocko
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
I like to pocketcarry and am finding that the PM45 is just a tad too big for my cargo pockets - it fits, but certain movements causes some concealment issues. For that reason I'll shift EDC to a PM9.

smart decision...Both nice, one IMO is just more easy carried without special dress required...:behindsofa:

vmo
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM

You won't see a +p in .40 s&w as it is at the top of the pressure limits in it's standard form. The only reason for +p and +p+ in .45 and 9mm is that they are old cartridges from before saami specs were created for pressures.

In-Yo-Grill
02-25-2010, 06:16 AM
I fondled a PM45 DLC yesterday and really liked it. Still...my focus right now is getting my hands on a PM9 first since I already have a P45.

jocko
02-25-2010, 09:09 AM
You won't see a +p in .40 s&w as it is at the top of the pressure limits in it's standard form. The only reason for +p and +p+ in .45 and 9mm is that they are old cartridges from before saami specs were created for pressures.

reasonable. I would think the 40 cal is plenty hot enough..

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 09:21 AM

Amazing how they came up with really good stuff (in the old days) that hasn't been improved much before they had ways to measure it. Old is good, cars, guns, 45's, Jocko, 375 H&H's, Dietrich, ya just gotta love old.
40's remember are actually born of a detuned 10mm which at the time of conception (am I allowed to say that?) were too hot for the guns of the time. Detuned and called it a 40. :typing:

jocko
02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
ah ha, and with age, normally comes "WISDOM".

getsome
02-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes with age does come wisdom, If I could only remember what the question was!!!! I tried to think but nothing happened.... Was I finished?:biggrin1:

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
ah ha, and with age, normally comes "WISDOM".

Well normal is word highly subject to interpretation. I guess you have to sort of think outside the envelope in some cases. I can't pretend to pass judgement on you but my gut tells me your wisdom is genuine and priceless.

Now normble, well that's rock star status.:cheer2:

Frankhenrylee
03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Do you mean priceless as in, nobody would pay anything for it? LOL take a joke Jocko, can't we be friends? I'm open to sarcastic verbal punishment, as long as its in good fun?

Frankhenrylee
03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that my PM45 or PM9 dilemma has been rectified. PM9 wins strictly for concealability. I'll save my .45 wants for a 1911, always wanted one of those. If Kahr made the .45 in steel with the wood grips that would sweeet!

Bawanna
03-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that my PM45 or PM9 dilemma has been rectified. PM9 wins strictly for concealability. I'll save my .45 wants for a 1911, always wanted one of those. If Kahr made the .45 in steel with the wood grips that would sweeet!

I'll add ya to the Kahr wish the made this list. I think I'm gonna wait for a K45. Might be a long wait but I'm ready when they are. Gotta stay with my roots and stick with steel and wood.

Frankhenrylee
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll add ya to the Kahr wish the made this list. I think I'm gonna wait for a K45. Might be a long wait but I'm ready when they are. Gotta stay with my roots and stick with steel and wood.
OK, yesterday somebody mentioned something about MIley Cyress and a big hole, now were talking roots, steel and wood. This is whole predicament is getting out of hand. HAHA

jocko
03-03-2010, 03:26 PM
OK, yesterday somebody mentioned something about MIley Cyress and a big hole, now were talking roots, steel and wood. This is whole predicament is getting out of hand. HAHA

filthy minded gun owner:crazy::crazy: need to go back and re read my post. I was merely posting what another poster had wrote. The fact that I mentioned Miley and hole in the same sentence, just confirmed my thoughts about how it would be taken. I am very proud of some of you guys. You did not let ol jocko down.:banplease:

Bawanna
03-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Talk about calling the kettle black. Are we still allowed to say that?

Frankhenrylee
03-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Allright, allright, no more of that, but you've got to admit that when somebody leaves an opening like that you can't help but jab one in there. OK I promise I'm really am done now..... until next time!

Frankhenrylee
03-04-2010, 08:24 AM
I was wondering if on this site senior member was actually referrring to age?

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Not to anyone but Mr. Jocko. I wondered that also. Went from jr to member to senior with no ceremony, pay grade increase or even a gold star. I found that it refers to the number of BS, I mean helpful messages you've entered. I think 100 is the magic number to attain older than dirt status. Again except Mr. Jocko, may he live forever.:cheer2: If you count Mr Wyn's entries you'd consider him a dinasour but don't be believing that either.:p

jocko
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM

ur dead right there, anyone can atain senior status by posting numbers, but to be REALLY A SENIOR MEMBER ONE HAS TO HAVE THE NUMBERS AND AGE TOGETHER.:7::7:

jocko
03-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Not to anyone but Mr. Jocko. I wondered that also. Went from jr to member to senior with no ceremony, pay grade increase or even a gold star. I found that it refers to the number of BS, I mean helpful messages you've entered. I think 100 is the magic number to attain older than dirt status. Again except Mr. Jocko, may he live forever.:cheer2: If you count Mr Wyn's entries you'd consider him a dinasour but don't be believing that either.:p

B. S. is not what you think. today it stands for bilingual sentences. Can't u guys get this stuff straight. . And calling the kettle black is still acceptable , IF your in the right crowd. Probaaly the polictical correct term would be calling the kettle "gray"

Also B. S. in all caps is bilingual sentences. and b.s. in small caps means exactly what you all are used to meaniing it bo be. Now please memorize all of this so I do not have to repeat myself. At my age, I don't have time to come back all the time to correct u young sh-t stirrers..:7:

wyntrout
03-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Hey! I felt someone talking about me again.:D You've done it now. I'm gonna be tied up typing now. It's too bad that the "ranking" stops at senior member. I would like to see what Jocko would be ranked as now -- Grand Wizard of Bucket Mouths?:third::cheer2:
I'll never catch up with him unless we can run him off again for about 4 months. This is hard work. I joined in September and after I got my PM9 in January, something happened... I became a super-bucket mouth and just can't stop typing and watching for new posts to "pounce" on.:D
I have too much fun here and nothing gets done around the house... at least not as much as should be done.
I've been trying to get my darn PM45. It arrived in town yesterday via USPS and they tried to deliver it at 10:16 AM. The dealer I'm using has real lazy hours: 11 AM - 7 PM, Tuesday through Saturday. USPS left a notice and he'll have to ask them to try delivery again or go pick it up. I called his shop and left a message about 15 minutes ago and as far as I can tell, the gun is at the PO. If this guy doesn't get to moving soon, I'm gonna give him a review hit on GunBroker.
My Blazer 230-gr FMJ for the .45 came in this morning, so I would like to get the gun home and go over it before trying to take it to the range.
Back to the Kettle or pot, I really have to bite my tongue sometimes not to butt in and make comments. I have kind of an O.C.D. thing about getting things off my chest, so to speak. I've told my wife that it's like a cat clawing its way up my throat and I have to let it out! My medication doesn't help that aspect.:blah:
Wynn:w00t:

Bawanna
03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
B. S. is not what you think. today it stands for bilingual sentences. Can't u guys get this stuff straight. . And calling the kettle black is still acceptable , IF your in the right crowd. Probaaly the polictical correct term would be calling the kettle "gray"

Also B. S. in all caps is bilingual sentences. and b.s. in small caps means exactly what you all are used to meaniing it bo be. Now please memorize all of this so I do not have to repeat myself. At my age, I don't have time to come back all the time to correct u young sh-t stirrers..:7:

But, But, But Mr. Jocko that's precisely how I meant it all. Exactly the way you explained it. Bilingual sentences. How did you interpret that any other way. Like Mr. Wyn said I'm an addict to this forum too, my wife told me to get a life. I check this thing before my email and I'm violating work protocol to check it right now. I'm a bad bad boy (young sh-t stirrer):19:
Young might be a little white lie, but momma says a little white lie never hurt nobody.:music:

hsart
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey! I felt someone talking about me again.:D You've done it now. I'm gonna be tied up typing now. It's too bad that the "ranking" stops at senior member. I would like to see what Jocko would be ranked as now -- Grand Wizard of Bucket Mouths?:third::cheer2:
I'll never catch up with him unless we can run him off again for about 4 months. This is hard work. I joined in September and after I got my PM9 in January, something happened... I became a super-bucket mouth and just can't stop typing and watching for new posts to "pounce" on.:D
I have too much fun here and nothing gets done around the house... at least not as much as should be done.
I've been trying to get my darn PM45. It arrived in town yesterday via USPS and they tried to deliver it at 10:16 AM. The dealer I'm using has real lazy hours: 11 AM - 7 PM, Tuesday through Saturday. USPS left a notice and he'll have to ask them to try delivery again or go pick it up. I called his shop and left a message about 15 minutes ago and as far as I can tell, the gun is at the PO. If this guy doesn't get to moving soon, I'm gonna give him a review hit on GunBroker.
My Blazer 230-gr FMJ for the .45 came in this morning, so I would like to get the gun home and go over it before trying to take it to the range.
Back to the Kettle or pot, I really have to bite my tongue sometimes not to butt in and make comments. I have kind of an O.C.D. thing about getting things off my chest, so to speak. I've told my wife that it's like a cat clawing its way up my throat and I have to let it out! My medication doesn't help that aspect.:blah:
Wynn:w00t:
I am particularly interested in hearing how the Blazer ammo performs.

wyntrout
03-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, now it looks like tomorrow before I get my new toy, but I'll definitely report, with pictures how things go at the range. I plan to run my camera in the movie mode for the tests and I'll pull stills for posting here. I'll be testing some of that GD Short Barrel 9mm as well, for flash and recoil.
I guess that I ought to use this time to get caught up on a weeks worth of newspapers... mainly the comics and jumble.:D
Wynn

jocko
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Humm BUCKET MOUTH. I resemble that!!!!

Heh why, if the PM45 doesn't work right, then send yourself in, as that is where the problem lies, not the gun. I have never had an ounce of trouble with my PM45, \

oh, thats right, I don't own one...

wyntrout
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Ha! That's right. When I'm making those range test movies, I edit out the stuff that might make me look like I don't know which end points toward the target.
I hope to get more useful pix this time. I forgot the comparisons last time. I'm really interested in the GD SB stuff -- the flash, recoil... accuracy -- none of those tight little groups. I don't like to wear out the middle of the target too much.:D
Sigh... tomorrow.:(
Wynn:)