PDA

View Full Version : Spray Cleaner?

fender1974
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm not new to handguns but just picked up my first Kahr this past weekend - CM9. I've had her out once and could not be happier. About 125 great rounds downrange to start the break-in period.

I've seen a few posts recently (and prior to my purchase) where others have mentioned just spraying a cleaner into the trigger mechanism of the frame to clean it out. Is this correct and if so, what is your choice of spray cleaner? About 18 months ago I started using Balistol to clean/lubricate several of my handguns and have enjoyed it. Would this work or would you recommend using something else?

Thanks for your help!

jocko
06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
if u like it, stay with it, use that cleanout hole in the bottom ofthe slide up bythe breech face to clean that striker channel. no disassembly really required. do it every time u clean the gun, might take 10 second.s read it more on the kahr tech section under propper prepping of ur kahr.

Sage
06-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Congrats on your new Kahr. I hope you like it as much as I like mine.
Also, what jocko said.

HDoc
06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm not new to handguns but just picked up my first Kahr this past weekend - CM9. I've had her out once and could not be happier. About 125 great rounds downrange to start the break-in period.

I've seen a few posts recently (and prior to my purchase) where others have mentioned just spraying a cleaner into the trigger mechanism of the frame to clean it out. Is this correct and if so, what is your choice of spray cleaner? About 18 months ago I started using Balistol to clean/lubricate several of my handguns and have enjoyed it. Would this work or would you recommend using something else?

Thanks for your help!
The cheapest can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner from Walmart ( about $2-4) will get all grease/oil/crud out quick. Just remember: 1)use in a well ventilated area, use eye protection and 2) it will strip all lubricants from the surfaces, so re lube with your choice of oil/grease.
It's amazing what that stuff will flush out of nooks and crannies. I usually follow it up with a light shot of Kroil to get any areas with metal on metal friction and keep my weapon springtime fresh.

Longitude Zero
06-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Congrats on your purchase. Not the cheapest option but I like Tetra Gun.

jocko
06-14-2012, 07:17 PM
The cheapest can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner from Walmart ( about $2-4) will get all grease/oil/crud out quick. Just remember: 1)use in a well ventilated area, use eye protection and 2) it will strip all lubricants from the surfaces, so re lube with your choice of oil/grease.
It's amazing what that stuff will flush out of nooks and crannies. I usually follow it up with a light shot of Kroil to get any areas with metal on metal friction and keep my weapon springtime fresh.

I wanted to say that but being I have pushed this non cholorinated brake cleaner so much, I didn't want to be sending a message that other cleaners are not OK or just as good. My reason for recommending these non cholorinated brake cleaners are exactly what u stated. cheap in price, cleans super, drys fast. I pay a tad over 2$ a can at Napa and Walmart. I have used that stuff for over 5 years. Don't get any spray cleaner of any brand on wood grips or the finish will come off.

97harley
06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I wanted to say that but being I have pushed this non cholorinated brake cleaner so much, I didn't want to be sending a message that other cleaners are not OK or just as good. My reason for recommending these non cholorinated brake cleaners are exactly what u stated. cheap in price, cleans super, drys fast. I pay a tad over 2$ a can at Napa and Walmart. I have used that stuff for over 5 years. Don't get any spray cleaner of any brand on wood grips or the finish will come off.
I"m a new member here but have been around cars all my life. My expieriance with brake cleaner is as follows, Red can, CRC plain old chlorinated will not take paint off. Green can, non chlorinated does take paint off. I've gotten stains off clothes, carpet and cloth seats using red can chlorinated brake cleaner with no harm done. I'm wondering if it would harm the finish on wood grips? The stuff dries instantly with no residue etc.