PDA

View Full Version : PM40 Question - Last Round FTE

Ljutic
06-18-2012, 09:41 AM
I purchased two used PM40s in the last 12 months and have been working on them to undo some of the damage from previous owners.

The rougher of the two now seems to be back in shape and is working well.

The older and nicer of the pair is giving me fits with 5th round FTEs and subsquently 6th round FTFs with 155 grain HST. It appears that the brass is slamming into the bullet on the last round in the magazine. This stops the cycling process cold. I can see damage on the nose of the 6th round after clearing the brass that was not properly ejected. Same ammo in the other PM40 runs all 6 just fine. I also swapped the mags between the two pistols with the same results from both.

Both pistols shoot TC FMJ just fine. It's only the HST that's giving me problems in one pistol.

I'm thinking it might be time for extractor replacement parts on the PM40 that chokes on HST. Should I just bite the bullet and order the 4 replacement extractor components? or am I looking at some other problem?

Any advice is appreciated.

jocko
06-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Get some 5% more strength mag springs from wolffs andsee if that helps. U might have weak springs at that position in the magazine. certainly being used,, u know now what the gun has been through either.. Probably wold be wise to replace the recoil springs to. U stated older model, does this mean the slide is the blunt ose version instead of the new slides today of beveled slides. If yo hyave the blunt nose version u can buy just the outter recoil springs for you PM40 from wolffs also. and I think I would also order the 20.5# recoil outter spirngs for the PM40 also. What isw happening IMO is a timing issue and normally new springs takes care of alot of that to. That wold be the first place to start, assuming u hav ethe blunt nose version PM40.:third:

Ljutic
06-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jocko. I didn't provide all the details on the first post and I should have. One magazine was brand new so that should eliminate the mag spring as the culprit. I swapped out the recoil springs on both just after taking ownership. Both are the new scalloped slide models.

Ljutic
06-24-2012, 09:09 PM
I fixed my issue by switching to Hornady Critical Duty. Shot them all day long today with zero problems. That cavernous HST hollow point must have been catching the brass on the way out of the chamber and slowing the slide down. I can live with the ammo switch.

jocko
06-25-2012, 05:04 AM
u ight be right about tyhe 40's to. I have no experience with them. only the 9's and as u know most all kahr 9's are not ammo sensitive. Usual;y if one is that way, something is wrong with the gun.