PDA

View Full Version : No Longer Shielded

mser
06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
For the past couple of months I switched back and forth in my carrying regimen between the PM9 and the Shield 9. I've carried the PM9 for almost ten years and have grown extremely fond of it while the Shield is a total newbie. After several hundred rounds I found the Shield to be a reliable performer and I really liked it, but I couldn't see anything that it did better than the PM9. It didn't do anything worse than the PM9, just not anything better either. So I advertised it for sale at a price $8 less than what I paid for it out the door. It sold in less than an hour.

Two days later I'm out of town accompanying my wife to a class she's instructing. While she's instructing I decided to visit the local gun shops and motorcycle dealerships. As I was making my way out of one of the gun shops after seeing all there was to see, or so I thought, I spied something out of the corner of my eye that looked interesting. Ten minutes later a Springfield XDs was following me out the door to its new home.

First range visit this afternoon. 50 rounds of Federal Champion with no malfunction. 35 rounds of Aguila with 2 light strikes, fired successfully on 2nd strike. 6 rounds of 200 grain +P GDHP with no malfunction.

(I also found a motorcycle I've been looking for but didn't have the guts to put down a deposit after all the money I've spent on firearms this year. I can't afford a decent divorce attorney on top of everything else :D)

Barth
06-25-2012, 06:06 PM
This whole XDs thingy is out of control.
I keep wanting one.
Then talk myself out of it.
I tell myself I've got a MK40 Elite.
5+1 all stainless micro 40 with a 3.0" barrel.
Glassy DA, 100% reliable with any HP (+1000 rounds) and deadly accurate at close range.
I think the Kahr is a little heavier, and maybe a little smaller, than the XDs???

But that XDs just keeps haunting me....

jeepster09
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I really like my XDm 40 Compact! No failures to fire or eject yet after 200+ rounds.

Micha2u
06-25-2012, 07:21 PM
My wife just got her CCW permit and we went to the local gun shop to see what she might like. She looked at pretty much every 9mm semi-auto in their extensive inventory and after everything was said and done, the XD beat out all the others. I must admit, the guns do have some appeal.

Longitude Zero
06-25-2012, 07:31 PM
XD45 Tactical...Fantastic
XD45 Compact...Fantastic
XDS...Fantastic (On Order) I shot the one at the range and it is great.

bonjorno2
06-25-2012, 08:15 PM
good for you... I'd like to see some pics of the kahr you have also if you don't mind

Popeye
06-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Make no mistake about it XD's are very good pistols. I had a XD9sc but sold it when I bought my PM9 as the Kahr fit my CC needs better and put the XD on the shelf. ( I do not do safe queens) It was a very good gun though and as reliable as any gun I've ever owned. I like the features it has that some others do not.

340pd
06-26-2012, 07:14 AM
I would like to see a head on comparison between a 3" 1911 and the XDs. My Kimber is an amazingly small and reliable .45. Pic of my PM9 laying directly on top of my Kimber Ultra CDP II. I will get some Pics of my Shield vs. Kimber. My guess is they are scary close in size.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/KahrvsKimber.jpg

Double3
06-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Supposedly the shield and xds are very close in size.

xds vs kimber ultra carry II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Ij1_l3Mxs

Barth
06-26-2012, 08:07 AM
I would like to see a head on comparison between a 3" 1911 and the XDs. My Kimber is an amazingly small and reliable .45. Pic of my PM9 laying directly on top of my Kimber Ultra CDP II. I will get some Pics of my Shield vs. Kimber. My guess is they are scary close in size.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/KahrvsKimber.jpg

I think the difference is in weight.
The XDs is something like 21 oz???

wyntrout
06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I finally saw and held the XDs45 at my local gun store/range. They have one in the rental section and I was just leaving the range... I thought about renting it, but had to get home to start dinner for my working wife. I dry-fired the XDs and the first click went faster than I was anticipating, but the next try there was a bit of slack that I took up and a definite hard stop before I pulled hard enough to make it fire the striker... not crazy about the trigger! It was a compact .45, though, and I'll have to take my PM45 and compare them. It certainly doesn't offer me anything more than the PM45 does... other than the small grip safety.

Wynn:)

340pd
06-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks. That is about what I expected. The Kimber vs XDs is similar to the Shield vs. PM9 discussion.
Both are reliable. One is heavier, but carries more rounds. One is a little larger giving you a better grip, but more difficult to conceal. I own three of the four. I guess I better get the XDs to cover all my bases. Or not. Well maybe.

mser
06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Some comparison photos of my PM9, XDS and Kimber Ultra CDP II. Weight for the PM9 is approximately 20 ounces, the XDS is approximately 26 ounces and the Kimber is approximately 32 ounces when fully loaded with GDHP.

mser
06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
One more...

jocko
06-26-2012, 05:20 PM
mser: u must have some leadin ur PM9. Mine weights 18 ounces LOADED

Double3
06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Nice pics.

I can't believe how small the xds is.

mser
06-26-2012, 05:30 PM
mser: u must have some leadin ur PM9. Mine weights 18 ounces LOADED

That's weighed on my wifes kitchen cooking scale, so the weights are approximate at best. The PM9 was right at, or just a hair under, 20 ounces fully loaded with 124 grain +P GDHP and a Pearce Grip extension on the magazine.

jocko
06-26-2012, 05:40 PM
I must have misread it . I took the 20 ounces to be unloaded not loaded...

bonjorno2
06-26-2012, 07:20 PM
thanks for the pics.... they are very close in size! I guess it depends on how you plan on carrying it... for my comfort the pm45 is a tad too big for pocket carry so I take the pm9/40 most of the time. If i carry iwb i take a glock most of the time.

mser
06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
I've carried the PM9 in my pocket, an ankle holster and AIWB. It's pretty versatile. The Shield was a little too big to pocket carrry in my blue jeans so I usually carried that, as well as my Kimber Ultra CDP II AIWB. The XDs will easily carry in an ankle holster or AIWB but, like the Shield, is a little big for my blue jean pocket.

Whatever I'm carrying, there's at least one fully loaded spare magazine in my back pocket.

Barth
06-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Some comparison photos of my PM9, XDS and Kimber Ultra CDP II. Weight for the PM9 is approximately 20 ounces, the XDS is approximately 26 ounces and the Kimber is approximately 32 ounces when fully loaded with GDHP.

Kahr MK40 24.9 / 28.1 6@155 gr GDHP
Glock G27 19.9 / 27.1 10@155 gr GDHP
----------------30.2 14@125 gr 357 Sig Ranger T

jeepster09
07-10-2012, 05:50 PM

I drooled :w00t:...I mean held them both today. The XDs and the 40 Shield, the Shield is smaller and more comfortable in the hand. It kept whispering, take me home...take me home. I resisted for now. The Shield was $449 and the XDs was around a hundred more.

itsthelaw
07-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I just don't see an advantage over any Kahr.

jeepster09
07-10-2012, 08:49 PM
From what I have heard, they tear down real easy and possibly less recoil due to lower bore center...not sure though.......Chevy verses Ford....Kahr verses Shield....many choices out there.

mser
07-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Just recently traded my XDS for a BNIB Shield 9 plus $100. I guess I'm re-Shielded.

Popeye
07-11-2012, 05:19 AM
I was looking at a shield the salesmen owned at the GS yesterday. It looked pretty good and had a nice feel to it with a nice trigger. I wish I would have had my PM9 with me at the time to make a side by side comparision. I liked the pistol but I really did not see anything that stood out that would make me want to trade my PM9 or Glock 26 for.

Russ
07-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Mser:

How is the recoil on the XDs with it being a two finger gun?

I own a full size XD 45 and it is ok but I prefer the grip of the Shield it just molds to my hand better.

The one thing that would keep me from switching from my Shield 9mm to the XDS is the 5 round magazine some argue you may as wwell go 357 revolver which is more reliable.

Do I want 8 rounds or 6 rounds?

Is it better to have 6 rounds of 45 or 8 rounds of 9mm?

Is it better to have a gun that I can pinkie (Shield) or am I man enough to two finger a 45?

What is the loaded weight of the XDs with 6 rounds?

The Shield is 24.1 oz with 8 rounds of 124 grain which is alittle over 4 oz heavier than a CM9 both loaded but the Shield has one more round.

The dry weight of the XDS at 21 oz is that with the magazine?

If no loaded the gun is going to be around 26 oz loaded which may be too much for the pocket.

I know at 24.1 oz for the Shield I must tighten the belt to pocket the XDs may require suspenders if it pushes 26 oz loaded.

I found a lot of manufactures do not include the magazine weight including the Nano which is not 17 oz even without the magazine. (19.9 oz empty with magazine and 23 oz loaded)

gb6491
07-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Mser:

How is the recoil on the XDs with it being a two finger gun?...

Is it better to have a gun that I can pinkie (Shield) or am I man enough to two finger a 45?....
If you can get three fingers on a Shield with the short magazine in it, you can get three on an XD-S.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/freddy.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
Regards,
Greg

mser
07-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Mser:

How is the recoil on the XDs with it being a two finger gun?

I own a full size XD 45 and it is ok but I prefer the grip of the Shield it just molds to my hand better.

The one thing that would keep me from switching from my Shield 9mm to the XDS is the 5 round magazine some argue you may as wwell go 357 revolver which is more reliable.

Do I want 8 rounds or 6 rounds?

Is it better to have 6 rounds of 45 or 8 rounds of 9mm?

Is it better to have a gun that I can pinkie (Shield) or am I man enough to two finger a 45?

What is the loaded weight of the XDs with 6 rounds?

The Shield is 24.1 oz with 8 rounds of 124 grain which is alittle over 4 oz heavier than a CM9 both loaded but the Shield has one more round.

The dry weight of the XDS at 21 oz is that with the magazine?

If no loaded the gun is going to be around 26 oz loaded which may be too much for the pocket.

I know at 24.1 oz for the Shield I must tighten the belt to pocket the XDs may require suspenders if it pushes 26 oz loaded.

I found a lot of manufactures do not include the magazine weight including the Nano which is not 17 oz even without the magazine. (19.9 oz empty with magazine and 23 oz loaded)

The recoil of the XDS was surprisingly lighter than I anticipated and target reacquisition was faster and easier than I thought it would be, although not as fast and easy as my PM9 or Shield 9 with 124 grain +P GDHP. I have slightly smaller than average hands and was able to easily get all three fingers onto the XDS grip with the standard 5 round magazine. I agree with Gregs assessment of the grips of both the XDS and Shield. I no longer have the weight documented in my notes, but if memory serves correct it was indeed around 26+ ounces loaded with 6 rounds of 200 grain +P GDHP. IWB the XDS was as concealable and comfortable to carry as the Shield.

The 9MM vs .40S&W vs .45ACP debate will rage on forever so its up to you to make the decision as to what you're comfortable relying on. I personally feel very confident with my choice of caliber and ammunition in my EDC.

In my training and experience I've found the majority of semi-automatic pistol malfunctions involve the magazine. For that reason, as well as the security of extra ammunition, I always carry a spare magazine and it's normally an extended one.

jeepster09
07-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Well I buckled under and picked up a new S&W 40 Shield today. I ran about 30 rounds of mixed ammo, hollow points, ball and any other misc. stuff laying in bench drawer and all fired perfectly with no issues. From 50 feet got about 8 in center of target and the rest on paper. I am impressed with gun. Recoil is non issue with this gun.....cool it will save me sending it out for Magnaport! I really like the highly visable stock sights, so I am unsure what I will do there. I do want night sights though :confused:

Barth
07-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Well I buckled under and picked up a new S&W 40 Shield today. I ran about 30 rounds of mixed ammo, hollow points, ball and any other misc. stuff laying in bench drawer and all fired perfectly with no issues. From 50 feet got about 8 in center of target and the rest on paper. I am impressed with gun. Recoil is non issue with this gun.....cool it will save me sending it out for Magnaport! I really like the highly visable stock sights, so I am unsure what I will do there. I do want night sights though :confused:

No Magnaporting?
No Green color?
No Big Dots?

Who are you and what have you done to Jeepster?

jocko
07-18-2012, 07:16 PM
yup that is not jeepster probably some Humm V wanna bee...no magna porting wasmy first clue.

Popeye
07-19-2012, 04:44 AM
I'm waiting on the long term reviews on the Shield and the XDS before I get to serious about buying either one of them. Seems like every new gun that comes out has a certain amount of interent hysteria of being the latest and the greatest just got to have pistol. Some seem to fall short and out of favor very quickly. Well see how the Shield and the XDS plays out. I wish them both well.

Barth
07-19-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm waiting on the long term reviews on the Shield and the XDS before I get to serious about buying either one of them. Seems like every new gun that comes out has a certain amount of interent hysteria of being the latest and the greatest just got to have pistol. Some seem to fall short and out of favor very quickly. Well see how the Shield and the XDS plays out. I wish them both well.

I'm right there with you.
And would add the Walther PPQ to that "Flavor of the Week".

For now I'm loving my S&W Military and Police M65-3 3" heavy barrel - LOL!
Classics like that are like fine wine and just get better over time.

JFootin
07-19-2012, 07:51 AM
For now I'm loving my S&W Military and Police M65-3 3" heavy barrel - LOL!
Classics like that are like fine wine and just get better over time.

I just have the one revolver: my ported, Duracoated 638 Airweight with the super trigger job. But I have fallen completely in love with it! Carries so well. Feels so right in my hand. Natural point and shoot from the belly, where I carry it at about 10:30. And I have such peace of mind knowing that I have 5 that will go bang every time, and not having to worry about misfeeds or having to rack and clear if there's a jamb. Just keep pulling that 4.25 lb trigger! :86:

I work on a tight budget, but I am thinking about getting one of those police trade-in Model 10s from Bud's for by the bed. The Model 10 has a great trigger action. Probably will be light enough without a trigger job, although I'm sure my gunsmith could improve on it! :D Too big to carry, but 6 dependable shots when needed.

Should I get the round butt (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545791) or the square butt (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545790) Model 10? The gun is longer and heavier than my 638. So, would the square butt help hold it up?

Chuck54
07-19-2012, 08:03 AM
A long time ago I carried a 2" round butt K-frame S&W in a belt slide type holster. It did not take long for me to realize that I could carry my 4" K-frame square butt 357 in the same belt slide just as easy. Carrying either in the OWB belt slide required a cover garment.

Barth
07-19-2012, 08:11 AM
I just have the one revolver: my ported, Duracoated 638 Airweight with the super trigger job. But I have fallen completely in love with it! Carries so well. Feels so right in my hand. Natural point and shoot from the belly, where I carry it at about 10:30. And I have such peace of mind knowing that I have 5 that will go bang every time, and not having to worry about misfeeds or having to rack and clear if there's a jamb. Just keep pulling that 4.25 lb trigger! :86:

I work on a tight budget, but I am thinking about getting one of those police trade-in Model 10s from Bud's for by the bed. The Model 10 has a great trigger action. Probably will be light enough without a trigger job, although I'm sure my gunsmith could improve on it! :D Too big to carry, but 6 dependable shots when needed.

Should I get the round butt (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545791) or the square butt (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545790) Model 10? The gun is longer and heavier than my 638. So, would the square butt help hold it up?

A guy on GLockTalk had a new G27 with a FTF in the first 500 rounds.
I think he's LE and asked if he should be concerned.
And what about Glock Perfection anyway?

Lots of responses but basically;
"Even the best auto loader will have an occasional FTF.
Out of spec ammo, or a bad primer, can stop any auto cold."

My response;
When I want 100% reliability I reach for one of my S&W revolvers.
Eliminate FTF, FTE and get a fresh round with a trigger pull on a dud.
NO auto can match that.

Barth
07-19-2012, 08:22 AM
A long time ago I carried a 2" round butt K-frame S&W in a belt slide type holster. It did not take long for me to realize that I could carry my 4" K-frame square butt 357 in the same belt slide just as easy. Carrying either in the OWB belt slide required a cover garment.

About 10 or 15 years ago I started carrying an 11.1 oz S&W 342 ti 38 +P in my pocket.
Last year I discovered I could wear a DeSantis belt and upgraded my pocket carry to a 23 oz S&W 640-1 357.
This year I started belt carry of the 640-1 and realized a 3" K-Frame would carry just as well.

Enter the M65-3 - oh my!

SWEET

jocko
07-19-2012, 09:24 AM
i REALLY WISH bARTH, U WOULD not discuss that Smith #342. Makes me sick to my stomac. Just sayin.

Ljutic
07-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm so torn between a Shield 40 and a PPS 40. The price of Walther mags is just silly. I need to get my hands on a Shield and make a decision before the PPS's get gone again.

jeepster09
07-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I prefer the Shield, also very easy dissassembly.

Barth
07-19-2012, 04:53 PM
i REALLY WISH bARTH, U WOULD not discuss that Smith #342. Makes me sick to my stomac. Just sayin.

What?
I can't hear you.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo44/d2/67/636b2cdfe86b__1342737868000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=falsehttps://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo49/3b/99/16feab53e974__1342738813000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

340pd
07-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I can. Great minds think alike.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/340pd.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/Salt1.jpg

Barth
07-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I can. Great minds think alike.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/340pd.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/gnystrom_photos/Salt1.jpg

LOL!

I knew I had a few friends around here!

jocko
07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
no commet!!! thoe look like kel tek proto types. Just sayin.