PDA

View Full Version : I Got To Play With A Ruger SR-22

Markis82
06-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Yesterday, I got to play with an SR-22 and boy I'm I glad I bought the Sig Sauer Mosquito. After looking, shooting, and field stripping the Ruger, I found it has the exact same design as the Sig. The differences between the two guns lie primarily on the outside, in the rear sights, the take down lever, and the grip. With the Ruger you can flip around the rear sight therefore having no dots. The Sig you cannot do that. However, I can blackout my dots with black tape, if I so desire. As for the take down lever, the Ruger has a knob that you twist. The Sig had a regular take down level. I much prefer the traditional lever. With the grip, the Ruger has these sleeves that you must pick one of to use. The Sig has screw on type grips like a 1911 and aftermarket wood etc... grips are available. Again, I much prefer the Sig grip style. True the Sig had some ammo issues. But, those issues have been dealt with and eliminated. With the two guns being so simular, any ammo issues with the Sig would be the same with the Ruger. I have well over 1000 rounds through my Mosquito of all types of ammo. I have used CCI Mini Mags, Remmington Golden Bullet, Federal & Winchester value packs. In over 1000 rounds I have had only two hiccups. Twice I had a FTF. I believe they were do to mis-shaped ammo, with either the Winchester or Federal. I'm not sure which. Personally, I will stick with the Remmington Golden Bullet. They come in an inexpensive value pack and they are reliable. The last difference in the two guns is price. The Ruger runs typically $30-$50 or more than the Sig. That is loads of .22lr ammo. I got my Sig for $269 shipped from Palmetto Armory. I believe they are currently selling them for $289 shipped. Still a great deal. Also there are 5-7 other variants of the Sig. Some are color changes, but other things like threaded barrels are available too. To anyone who might be looking for .22 battle type pistol, I strongly urge you to take a long look at the Sig Sauer Mosquito.

dkmatthews
06-27-2012, 08:58 AM
That's awesome to hear that your "play" experience with the Ruger confirmed your choice of the Sig. It's always better that way than having buyer's remorse!

My .22 plinking pistol is a Browning Buck Mark, and I almost always take it to the range with me. When you look at the grins/dollar ratio, it's hard to beat a rimfire pistol or rifle!

JFootin
06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
They are currently $309 at Palmetto State. There are tons of them, new and used, on sale at GunBroker.com, lots of them with several bids on them. Seems like a hot item!

Deano
06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the report. May have to try out a mosquito some day. We've got the SR22 from Ruger and love it. It's VERY accurate and has been a pleasure to shoot. My wife shot the mosquito early in her training, but I doubt she remembers anything about it. 22s are definitely fun to have and cheap to shoot for hours.

By the way, the take down on the SR22 is not a twist knob. It's a lever inside the trigger guard on the underside of the frame. At least that's the way mine is.

crazymailman
06-27-2012, 02:21 PM
I really like the looks of that Sig, but have my eye on the M&P22. Since I already have the 40 I figured that would be the way to go.

Bill K
06-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Ruger SR-22 is to Sig Sauer Mosquito as Ruger LCP is to... :behindsofa:

jocko
06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
what is the going price for the sig 22, that looks like one cool little 22. any issues out there with them or is it to early for this feedback. I like the looks better than the Ruger, the grip sucks IMO. Probably the truthy be know the Ruger willbe a better funtioning gun though:target:

Markis82
06-27-2012, 08:09 PM
By the way, the take down on the SR22 is not a twist knob. It's a lever inside the trigger guard on the underside of the frame. At least that's the way mine is.Yes, it is a small lever. A knob to me. The Sig has a familiar take down lever on the left side of the frame. Where it should be.

Ruger SR-22 is to Sig Sauer Mosquito as Ruger LCP is to... :behindsofa:Not an accurate analogy. Ruger is a step or two up from Kel-Tec. But a step or two down from Sig Sauer.

what is the going price for the sig 22, that looks like one cool little 22. any issues out there with them or is it to early for this feedback. I like the looks better than the Ruger, the grip sucks IMO. Probably the truthy be know the Ruger willbe a better funtioning gun though:target:The Mosquito has been around far several years now. Early feedback reports typical .22 semi-auto pistol ammo issues. However, over time these issues have been ironed out. I can't see the Ruger functioning any better since they are essentially the same design.

Tinman507
06-28-2012, 03:51 AM
I've never seen or handled the Mosquito for comparison. I wish I could have done a side by side with the SR22. I love that little gun. It's so much fun to shoot. It's a pure tack driver and so easy to shoot well and clean up.

If the Mosquito is it's slightly more expensive cousin, then it should be an awesome gun.

My main reason for buying the SR22 was so my gals could learn to shoot and feel comfortable. It's certainly done that. It's also allowed us to have a whole bunch of fun for pennies per mag.

Good luck with your Mosquito!

Markis82
06-28-2012, 05:37 AM
I've never seen or handled the Mosquito for comparison. I wish I could have done a side by side with the SR22. I love that little gun. It's so much fun to shoot. It's a pure tack driver and so easy to shoot well and clean up.

If the Mosquito is it's slightly more expensive cousin, then it should be an awesome gun.

My main reason for buying the SR22 was so my gals could learn to shoot and feel comfortable. It's certainly done that. It's also allowed us to have a whole bunch of fun for pennies per mag.

Good luck with your Mosquito!Thanks! The Mosquito runs a little less expensive than the SR-22. That is why I started considering it to begin with. I got mine for $269 shipped. Which was a sale price from Palmetto Armory. Palmetto is currently selling them for $289 shipped. (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/handguns/sig-sauer/sig-sauer-mosquito-22lr.html) Best value on the market for this type of gun. I got it for range fun and practice with, as you said, "Pennies per mag."

Markis82
06-28-2012, 05:39 AM
They are currently $309 at Palmetto State. There are tons of them, new and used, on sale at GunBroker.com, lots of them with several bids on them. Seems like a hot item!Palmetto DOES have them for sale at $289 shipped. (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/handguns/sig-sauer/sig-sauer-mosquito-22lr.html)

JFootin
06-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Palmetto DOES have them for sale at $289 shipped. (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/handguns/sig-sauer/sig-sauer-mosquito-22lr.html)

When I searched their site, this didn't come up, but they showed several variations, some in stock and some not, all at $309. They need to fix that.

el_chupo_
06-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I am a bit of a .22 fan, and I have the Mosquito, the Walther P-22, a couple Ruger 22/45's, and am in the market for another, and need to pick up a Buckmark.

My Mosquito is one of the earlier ones with "ammo issues", though I am working through them slowly. With so many rimfires, I only shoot it every 3rd range trip. I agree with you on the ergonomics and take down of the gun, I like it more than any other .22 I have.

I love the gun, but am only having consistent luck with Mini-mags. A polishing of the ramp is up soon, along with the .22 upper for an AR.

I like the P22 as much as any other gun, and at the price you can find them at, they are a bargain.

And for those that care, the 22/45 is available threaded in alu and steel uppers, and the Mosquito and P-22 only need a $30 adapter to wear a threaded tip.

Markis82
06-28-2012, 09:24 AM
I am a bit of a .22 fan, and I have the Mosquito, the Walther P-22, a couple Ruger 22/45's, and am in the market for another, and need to pick up a Buckmark.

My Mosquito is one of the earlier ones with "ammo issues", though I am working through them slowly. With so many rimfires, I only shoot it every 3rd range trip. I agree with you on the ergonomics and take down of the gun, I like it more than any other .22 I have.

I love the gun, but am only having consistent luck with Mini-mags. A polishing of the ramp is up soon, along with the .22 upper for an AR.

I like the P22 as much as any other gun, and at the price you can find them at, they are a bargain.

And for those that care, the 22/45 is available threaded in alu and steel uppers, and the Mosquito and P-22 only need a $30 adapter to wear a threaded tip.There is a lip just where the feed ramp meets the chamber. Talk to Sig about your ammo issues. Maybe you can get them to send you a new barrel. If not, you can remove that tiny bit of material yourself with a very fine rat tail file and a bit of polishing. That and a feed ramp polish and I think you will find that your gun will run the cheaper value pack ammo. BTW, have you tried Remmington Golden Bullet? People who have ammo issues have been very successful with that ammo without making any mods. Mini-mags run great but the Remmington at $15-$20 per 525 rounds cannot be beat for price vs quality.

doc540
06-28-2012, 11:36 AM
fwiw: I just went through about a half dozen .22LR semi's looking for a pistol for my first-time shooter classes.

The SR22 has proven to be the pick of the litter.

Inexpensive
VERY dependable (eats the cheapest of ammo with no problems)
Simple
Good sights
Accurate
Easy to clean

Dollar for dollar, best .22LR semi I've ever owned.

Markis82
06-28-2012, 11:45 AM
fwiw: I just went through about a half dozen .22LR semi's looking for a pistol for my first-time shooter classes.

Inexpensive
Simple
Good sights
Accurate
Easy to clean

Dollar for dollar, best .22LR semi I've ever owned. VS Mosquito (basically the same mechanical design as the SR-22)

Inexpensive - Mosquito is less expensive
VERY dependable (eats the cheapest of ammo with no problems) - Same
Simple - Same
Good sights - SR22 Rear sight reversible but, not necessarily a desirable feature. Other than that, same
Accurate - Same
Easy to clean - Same
* Grips - Mosquito better
* Take Down - Mosquito better

Dollar for dollar, best .22LR semi I've ever owned. - At $30 - $50 or more cheaper, Mosquito better

Tinman507
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
The Mosquito might be your choice, but the Ruger SR22 keeps running after being sprayed with this:

http://image0-rubylane.s3.amazonaws.com/shops/ogees/14442.1L.jpg

Markis82
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
The Mosquito might be your choice, but the Ruger SR22 keeps running after being sprayed with this:

http://image0-rubylane.s3.amazonaws.com/shops/ogees/14442.1L.jpgLOL!! Touché!

Bawanna
06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Anyone but me ever wonder what we'd do around here for entertainment without Tinman? Just thinking......

jocko
06-28-2012, 03:31 PM
the man has a special talent. Have no clue what that is, but he is special. course so is my 27 year old lab who has been dead 15 years.. Just sayin

Markis82
06-28-2012, 03:36 PM
the man has a special talent. Have no clue what that is, but he is special. course so is my 27 year old lab who has been dead 15 years.. Just sayinRim shot... cymbal

Deano
06-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Inexpensive
Simple
Good sights
Accurate
Easy to clean

Dollar for dollar, best .22LR semi I've ever owned.
I would have to agree with this. Although I don't own a mosquito, I don't see any need to get one. The SR22 has exceeded my highest expectations for a reliable, accurate, fun gun to shoot. Here's the target from my last 50 rounds at the range from the 10 yard line, fairly rapid fire. Wish I could shoot all my guns this well.

Tinman507
06-28-2012, 04:47 PM
the man has a special talent. Have no clue what that is, but he is special. course so is my 27 year old lab who has been dead 15 years.. Just sayin

At least he doesn't hump your leg anymore.
http://funny.ph/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/1220/funny-dog-humping-legs.jpg

Bawanna
06-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Boy that baby in the basket is really a cone head.

designermale
06-28-2012, 08:36 PM
My firearm collection includes the M&P 22, Sig Sauer Mosquito & the Ruger SR22.

Each has 1000 to 1500 rounds thru them. I would rate the M&P 22 as the best for reliability as it really does fire any ammo. Second would be the Ruger SR22 as this is just a great gun even as the reliability is not as good as the M&P. After you shoot it you want one..... all our friends that have the M&P or Mosquito want one after just a little range time. Last is Sig Sauer Mosquito not reliability, picky on ammo and not the quality of most Sig's thus the cheap price.

M&P 22 = B+ :)
Ruger SR22 = B :)
Sig Sauer Mosquito = C- :(

No firearm is perfect but some are better than others. The new M&P Shield 9 is a solid "A" I was VERY surprised. Looks like M&P's are a solid bet in any caliber and I only own two, but will own more for sure.