PDA

View Full Version : 30Rd Stick Mag Feeding Problems..

MDIceman
06-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi All,

I recently purchased a NIB 1927A1 (T150D). The drum mags works fine without issues - however the 30Rd stick, gives me fits. I keep getting a sideways feed, which leads to a jam - seem to happen more on a left side feed of the mag. The problem does not occur at every round - seems more so on a full mag towards a higher count of rounds.

My magazine is stamped "Auto Ordnance Bridgeport CT" and is a flat black finish.

A friend of mine, who I go shooting with - seen my Thompson, and ended up buying one as well (exact model). He too has feed issues with his 30rd stick. His jams worse then mine -it jams at just about every other round- to the point he could not run his Tommy. It did run with the drum however.

Ive contacted Kahrs technical assistance via internet, and recieved no response. (this seems to be a trend with them when I ask them a question via technical assistance online)

Do we need to modify these mags to get them to work ? Will bending the lips outward more with pliers help this issue ? Id like to not damage the mag - they are not cheap!

Any help is appreciated!

CJB
06-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Take apart the magazine and clean it.

Try shooting it with only 25 rounds in it (I recall someplace that lowering the round count helps). I had an Ingram MAC11-380 that was supposed to be 32 round mags, but it did better with 30 or even 28. The mag would hold 40 rounds if you stuffed it, but would not function that way.

Don't bend anything. You might find that its not magazine but ammo and or recoil spring related.

MDIceman
06-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Take apart the magazine and clean it.

Try shooting it with only 25 rounds in it (I recall someplace that lowering the round count helps). I had an Ingram MAC11-380 that was supposed to be 32 round mags, but it did better with 30 or even 28. The mag would hold 40 rounds if you stuffed it, but would not function that way.

Don't bend anything. You might find that its not magazine but ammo and or recoil spring related.

I would suspect that but as stated -the drum mag works perfect. It will feed and eject all 50 rounds with no issues. This is for both guns!

When using the stick mags, when a failure occurs, the cartridge will side feed up the ramp. Often the bolt has enough force to dent the side of the cartridge case, but it does not chamber.

I tried loading less rounds, and it sorta did it less in my gun - but still did hang up. My friends gun however - wont feed no matter what the round count is.

I did clean and lube the mag before firing - didnt take it apart (shouldnt have to on a brand new magazine)

My friend actually called Kahr - they stated that sometimes the mag lips get bent from being pushed up too hard into the mag well. Ive never pushed mine up hard into the well, but Im suspecting that the round is hitting the lip when feeding under certain tension, causing it to go sideways. They recommended bending it out some with pliers, but not sure if that will fix it or not.

Bawanna
06-30-2012, 06:51 PM
There really are no brand new magazines. No Thompson mags have been produced since WWII, that's why they are expensive and getting harder to find.

The mags that come with new Tommy's are surplus, sorted best of the bunch and modified to fit the different mag release.

I finally modified mine so I can use unmessed with original GI mags. I need to get some if anyone knows of any at a non gouging price.

When I get mine dialed in and working I'll have I think 4 modified mags up for grabs.

I don't have a good answer to your issue. I know some of my mags work well and others don't work very good at all. I numbered them and was gonna try to work the bugs out.

Don't give up on Kahr CS, they should get back to you, stay after them. They have come through for some of us here with Tommy's in the past.

Harry45
07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I had the same problem with my new TG. It would not work with any stick mag. Tried two others from two different friends and neither worked always the same jamomatic. First round would not go in. Finally after the drum spring broke I had it and called and emailed. A real person called me and told me to send it in and they would fix it. Got it back an it worked perfect. They replace the bolt. Hope this helps. They do run nice when they are setup correctly.

DeaconKC
07-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Good folks to deal with:
http://www.copesdistributing.net/thompson-30rnd-stick-p-501.html