PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Magazine Pain

P-Denny
02-25-2010, 02:09 PM
The only real complaint I have about my PM9 is the magazines. The 6-round magazine's baseplate has sharp enough corners on the rear that if I'm shooting & reloading repeatedly, it starts to get painful for the palm of my hand. Then both magazines have sharp enough corners on the top that they painfully dig into my thumb if I push down too hard while reloading. Is this a problem for other people too, or is it just me? I talked to Kahr customer support this afternoon and the fellow had trouble understanding what I was describing, then said he'd never heard that complaint before. He was happy to switch mine out with new ones, but I'm sure that wouldn't solve my problem.

What I'm thinking about doing, is rounding the edges off a little more but I'm nervous about it.

Denny

In-Yo-Grill
02-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I've split my thumb open while loading the magazines for my MK9. You should feel how sharp the edges are for the P380.

Bawanna
02-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Warning personal opinion forthcoming.

I would not mess with the top feed lips, loading is just gonna have to be careful or wear a glove or something.

I would not hesitate to smooth round off the bottom sharp corners. Emery cloth, fine file, Dremel with discretion, whatever it takes. Shooting that causes pain and suffering on both ends need not be tolerated.

jocko
02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Warning personal opinion forthcoming.

I would not mess with the top feed lips, loading is just gonna have to be careful or wear a glove or something.

I would not hesitate to smooth round off the bottom sharp corners. Emery cloth, fine file, Dremel with discretion, whatever it takes. Shooting that causes pain and suffering on both ends need not be tolerated.

one is a no-no the other is a yes indeed smooth that out some, to fit your needs..

Jeremiah/Az
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
You can buy a loading gizmo so you do not have to press the shells in with you thumb. It depresses the mag & lets you put the shell in easily.

Dietrich
02-25-2010, 05:42 PM
My advice is for you to buy an Uplula Universal Pistol Magazine loader.That piece of equipment is a lifesaver for your fingers.Great product.

unclenunzie
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
My advice is for you to buy an Uplula Universal Pistol Magazine loader.That piece of equipment is a lifesaver for your fingers.Great product.

+1 If there is a more useful shooting related product I'm not aware of it. The uplula is worth every penny and is always in my range bag.

racuda
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
I've split my thumb open while loading the magazines for my MK9. You should feel how sharp the edges are for the P380.

No part of my P380 mags are sharp. Maybe they changed them?

TxKahr
02-25-2010, 07:38 PM

+2 on the Uplula. I bought one after several trips to the range where my thumb was very sore. Now, I can reload very fast and no pain whatsoever. It is easy to use and only costs about $30.

TxKahr

In-Yo-Grill
02-26-2010, 05:28 AM
No part of my P380 mags are sharp. Maybe they changed them?

Don't know if sharp is the right word but it's definitely thin metal and has broken the skin of my fat fingers. No pain no gain right...?

500KV
02-26-2010, 05:49 AM
+3 on the Uplula gadget.
Now my wife doesn't have to load my mags for me.

TxKahr
02-26-2010, 06:01 AM
The only real complaint I have about my PM9 is the magazines. The 6-round magazine's baseplate has sharp enough corners on the rear that if I'm shooting & reloading repeatedly, it starts to get painful for the palm of my hand.

What I'm thinking about doing, is rounding the edges off a little more but I'm nervous about it.

Denny

Another choice for the bottom is a finger extension from Pearce. You replace the base plate on the 6 rd mag and it makes the gun easier to shoot. They were $12 for two at my LGS and I had them put it on for me. If you do it yourself, be careful with the spring because it can fly out sending the base plate across the room.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/txkahr-albums-pm9-picture136-pm9.jpg

TxKahr

Frankhenrylee
02-26-2010, 09:29 AM
If the new mags don't suit you you could try a polishing file. They can be found at most hobby shops. I think it would be similar to polishing a feed ramp, might even help out with functionality. They don't have enough grit to do any damage unless you rubbed on it for a year. Make sure you get the finest one. I have used them to polish scratches out of clear plastic.