PDA

View Full Version : Question about the PM9 bore

Dinger
02-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi Fellas. I'm new to the forum and have learned alot about the Kahr pistols already.
Question- Is the bore of a PM9 plated? Is the outside of the barrel plated? Reason I ask is that There's something in my bore that resembles leading, but it's not. It almost looks like a hardened varnish that's sticking to the bore. It's streaked thru the bore, not covering the bore entirely. I can't say for sure what it is becasue it's so hard to get a good look at it. I've used bore cleaner, Ed's Red, Kroil & JB bore Paste, copper scouring pad wrapped on a bore brush. It seems like I got some of it out, but man it's worse than leading could ever be. Any ideas? Thanks for any input.
I've been playing with handguns since I was about 17 and I've never come across anything like this.......yep, I'm a senior citizen.

depicts
02-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Dinger, I hope someone answers you soon, because I have the same thing in my MP9 Barrel.

I thought it was leading too. I've tried attacking it with dental picks, and nary make a dent. Hope someone has an answer or has seen this before.

Dinger
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I doubt that anybody does. I should've just done a search in the first place and probably gotten an answer that way.
As it is, I've not read where there is a flaking in the bore. Most guys are complaining of flaking in the chamber or on the feed ramp. It is the nickel plating coming off. A bad batch of barrels from what I gather.
The only thing I haven't been able to find out is if the bores are nickel plated. I figure they are and that's what I see that looks like lead fouling. I'm not worried about it and I'll keep an eye on it. When it gets worse, I'll call Kahr.

jocko
02-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Fellas. I'm new to the forum and have learned alot about the Kahr pistols already.
Question- Is the bore of a PM9 plated? Is the outside of the barrel plated? Reason I ask is that There's something in my bore that resembles leading, but it's not. It almost looks like a hardened varnish that's sticking to the bore. It's streaked thru the bore, not covering the bore entirely. I can't say for sure what it is becasue it's so hard to get a good look at it. I've used bore cleaner, Ed's Red, Kroil & JB bore Paste, copper scouring pad wrapped on a bore brush. It seems like I got some of it out, but man it's worse than leading could ever be. Any ideas? Thanks for any input.
I've been playing with handguns since I was about 17 and I've never come across anything like this.......yep, I'm a senior citizen.

it is nickel plated inside and out, have no idea what the fouling is but if you got it out then your should be good to go. If there is no flaking inside the barrel then pass on what the inside looks like and just go out and shoot it like you stole it..

Dinger
02-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Jocko- I believe that it's the nickel plating flaking off inside my bore, now that I know the entire barrel is plated. I personally consider plating the bore a bad idea. IMHO, they would've been better off making the barrel out of stainless and been done with it.

jocko
02-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Jocko- I believe that it's the nickel plating flaking off inside my bore, now that I know the entire barrel is plated. I personally consider plating the bore a bad idea. IMHO, they would've been better off making the barrel out of stainless and been done with it.

kahr and ask for IAN and explain your issue, they will have u send them your barrel and they replace it. Kahr has been nickel plating their barrels since day on. Done right it is far more corrosion resistant and rockwell even harder than the steel it is coating. Kahr has had some bad barrel this past 6 months and no doubt there are some still floating around yet to be discovered. They will replace your barrel with no hassle.

Beretta nickel plates their entire barrels for the Military, there is a reason . You just got a bad barrel. Call kahr and be congenial, that will go a long way, but they will replace your barrel. They have with every person on this forum who has had the same issue.

for me I will take a nickel plated barrel any day. You have the finest barrel money can buy with the lothar polygonal rifled barrel, just that the plating company did not do a good prep job. It is all in the preparation. It's not like paint.

by the way you can just ship the barrel back to kahr to ,,, through regular mail for about five bucks..

Google up lothar barrels and look up LW19 on google and learn more about your barrel. You might change your mind.

a shame it happened, it as u know has not effected reliability either, so rest assured when you get a proper barrel, u will be very happy with it..

wyntrout
02-28-2010, 01:19 AM
When I saw this thread's title, I thought I might help, but realized he was asking for Jocko... sure enough a minute later, there he was.:D
Just having too much fun some times!:cheer2:
Wynn:p

jocko
02-28-2010, 08:08 AM
When I saw this thread's title, I thought I might help, but realized he was asking for Jocko... sure enough a minute later, there he was.:D
Just having too much fun some times!:cheer2:
Wynn:p

and my 3 cents makes a nickel, almost a cup of coffee??? You can help, never sit on ur duff and think you can't.:33::33:

I would be very very sure it is flaking before I sent it back though, or it would be alittle embarrassing. There are some barrels that just crude up more than others for some reason. Some bullets crude up more also. Indeed it could be flaking, just one should be absolutley sure, as I thought he did state that after a real hard cleaning it looked better. If it is flaking, it will never look better...

Dinger
02-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Well, being that I'm 60 I know that my eyes decieve me on objects close-up. Even with my Opti-Visor and strong glass, I can't yet say for sure that it's flaking. I wouldn't call or send it in until I know for sure. It did look like I got some of it out with JB paste. I've got a friend that's a young fella who is a 'smith. I'll get him to look at it before I do anything. Trouble with JB paste and then their bore shine is it makes it shine so it looks better even if it's not.
Thanks to you guys for your help!

jocko
02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, being that I'm 60 I know that my eyes decieve me on objects close-up. Even with my Opti-Visor and strong glass, I can't yet say for sure that it's flaking. I wouldn't call or send it in until I know for sure. It did look like I got some of it out with JB paste. I've got a friend that's a young fella who is a 'smith. I'll get him to look at it before I do anything. Trouble with JB paste and then their bore shine is it makes it shine so it looks better even if it's not.
Thanks to you guys for your help!

humm dinger, I am 66 so my eyes are about like yours. I use JB occassionaly when my brrel looks like crap inside. I clean it as good as I can then I just stop worrying about it anymore. It is what it is my defense gun and my efvery day shooter. I thinik my bore looks good but to maybe a real pro. it might look like crap. It goes bang every time, it shoots where I am????:third: at 7 yards and under. I probably never spend more than 2 minutes scrubbing my PM9 barrel either, so u can gauge for yourself. Some peoples barrels u can eat off of them, mine, will make you sick for sure:eek:

I would think if it was flaking it would be very visible. take your time with it . You also seem to know guns to, so no way am I doubting you either on what may or may not be..

Dinger
02-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Hey Jocko- It's good to see there's at least one old fart out here besides me.....
I don't want to sound arrogant, but I have had a lifetime or two of experience with firearms. I started at about 11 or 12 and got into handguns at about 17. Got heavily involved in just about every facet of firearms & reloading over my lifetime. I knew alot of the old-timers in the industry. Most are gone now. I had some health issues that made me give up the guns for about 12 years, but I finally got back into it. So now, I'm looking for an old peoples' home with a shootin' range in the back yard. I want to be able to open the window, stick the gun out and shoot at somethin'.......Heh, Heh!!!!!

jocko
02-28-2010, 11:42 AM
as u know your only as old as u feel. I ride my harley most all the time, manage to put average 15,000 miles a year with ease. I shoot alot, don't hit sh-t but love to hear the "bang" thing. Would rather ride my harley, than eat to be truthful. Life is great to be reitred at age 53 and doing absolutley nothing but what I want to do ..

Dinger
02-28-2010, 12:07 PM
I hear you talkin", man! I know what you mean in part. I had to retire back in my 40's. Have managed to enjoy myself despite all the physical stuff, mainly casue like you I like to hear the "Bang & Clang". I can still shoot remarkably well since I got a good set of prescription shooting glasses. The Doc let me bring in my 45 when I had the appoinment, so she could measure me up & all that stuff she does. She's standing behind me hold these test pieces in front of my eyes while I'm pointing the gun out the back door at a truck about 35 yards away. One of many benefits of a small town.
Just run a couple patches soaked with Ed's Red thru the bore after I shot the PM9. Can still see the lead looking streaks, but it's not lead. I put some Remington 115 gr. FMJ factory stuff thru it. I'll give it another couple hundred rounds and see what it looks like and go from there.
Thanks Jocko...Good BSn with ya'!

deadhead1971
03-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Dinger--

You mentioned streaking. You said "It's streaked thru the bore. . " As someone who has had a flaking problem, that is definately not a word I would use to describe flaking. If you see streaks, it's probably not flaking but powder carbon soot.

Is it just discoloration? My new barrel is harder to clean than the first, and there are streaks and discolored areas in the chamber and barrel (some areas darker than others). But the finish is smooth. A metal brass bore brush is better to clean this barrel than a plastic nylon bore brush.

Dinger
03-03-2010, 06:10 AM
No, it's not carbon soot. It has to be the plating coming off or a bad plating job. It resembles leading, but it's not. I'll get it taken care of, one way or another.