PDA

View Full Version : Need Scope for .22 rifle

Tinman507
07-07-2012, 07:15 PM
I have an old Glenfield Model 25 .22 rifle. I've had it since I was a kid and love shooting it. It came with a little scope that finally gave up the ghost.
Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive scope for this rifle? It's got 3/8" rings.

les strat
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I'd get a Simmons .22 mag 3-9x32 scope. It has a 1" tube, but comes with rings. GREAT scope! (and I typically am not a Simmons fan). I have it on my Marlin Model 60. It has held perfect zero for a couple years and is miles beyond the old typical little tube rimfire scopes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simmons-22-Mag-3-9x32mm-Truplex-Scope-Matte-w-Rings-/400294208978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3364e5d2

CJB
07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Any of the low priced scopes will be better than what you had from years ago.

If you want something to really shoot well... spend a bit more, and get something with an adjustable front optic, for parallax fine tuning. It does make a huge difference at .22 (likely) distances.

BTW, ".22 scopes" are usually parallax corrected for 50yds or so, while center fire rifle scopes are corrected for 100 yards and greater.

Alfonse
07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I have an old 4x Tasco from the era of that gun. I always hated that scope. I think you can buy a new one for $7 or so.

I'd pretty much give it to you, but you would just curse me.

I like the Nikon rimfire 3x9. It may be out of the budget for what you are looking for.

MW surveyor
07-07-2012, 10:08 PM
BSA makes some fairly decent 22 scopes (and cheap). I've got a 4 power on my Marline 989 m2 and it works pretty well out to 100 yards (course with my eyes it helps to have a big target at that distance).

BTW - I don't think you can find a 3/8" scope nowadays. LOL

Bawanna
07-07-2012, 10:42 PM
BSA makes some fairly decent 22 scopes (and cheap). I've got a 4 power on my Marline 989 m2 and it works pretty well out to 100 yards (course with my eyes it helps to have a big target at that distance).

BTW - I don't think you can find a 3/8" scope nowadays. LOL

I put a Sweet 17 BSA on my 17HMR Savage, it's a great scope for the money.

I think they make a Sweet 22 or something similar. Might be a good option. I agree that you should lose the little tube and put a real scope on it.

tarheelcm9
07-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I like Bushnell and Simmons with an adjustable objective

melissa5
07-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Nikon ProStaff Rimfire with bullet drop comp - Love mine.

jocko
07-08-2012, 06:03 AM
anyone remember back when the Weaver V22 scope was made. We used to sell hundreds of them. AMERICAN MADE and only $14.95 I think it was a 3 X 6 power variable with 7/8" scope tube.

Alfonse
07-08-2012, 12:15 PM
anyone remember back when the Weaver V22 scope was made. We used to sell hundreds of them. AMERICAN MADE and only $14.95 I think it was a 3 X 6 power variable with 7/8" scope tube.

Yes, I remember it. I remember gas being twenty some cents per gallon, slide rules, ice trays and a bunch of other stuff too.

Carolinakid
07-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Amazon.com has Nikon Prostaff 32x4 for under $100.

Popeye
07-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I have and old 1953 Marlin DL 81 that a friend gave me and it had an old 3/4" weaver G4 scope on it. The scope had seen better days so I looked around for a cheap scope. This is what I came up with being that I did not want to spend alot of money on this old rifle even though it does shoot very well since I rebuilt the Cartrige Carrier. Worked perfect on the original N3 side mount as an inexpensive replacement scope for the old rifle. Ordered it and four days later it was on the front step.
http://www.adorama.com/TASRF37X20D.html?utm_source=ET&utm_medium=TransactionalEmail&utm_campaign=1point0product

I wouldn't want to use it on anything more than a .22 but for this old rifle it's fine being that it is so limited on scope options that will work.

Tinman507
07-20-2012, 06:57 PM
I decided to get a BSA Sweet 16 scope. It and the rings arrived yesterday. I ordered it all from Midway. I used their chart to select the correct height rings. WRONG. Couldn't open the bolt. Rings are going back and medium height rings on order.

Ultimately this scope will go on a future 10/22 and the Glenfield will be put into semi retirement. It's got some trigger issues and it's been machined once. There aren't too many patches left in the old gal and parts are damned hard to come by.

muggsy
07-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Only Old Lincoln and I can think that far back, Jocko.

muggsy
07-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I have an old Glenfield Model 25 .22 rifle. I've had it since I was a kid and love shooting it. It came with a little scope that finally gave up the ghost.
Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive scope for this rifle? It's got 3/8" rings.

I'm a Leupold man, but I've have very good luck with Bushnell scopes on .22 rimfire rifles.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/rimfire/

Popeye
07-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Tinman might want to try getting parts here if you want to keep the old girl running. I got all the parts I needed from them for my Marlin DL81. Seem like real good folks to deal with. Sometimes getting these cheap old rifles running again can be a real challenge as they were not high quality to begin with.
Barrels will out last the rest of the gun for sure with reasonable care and if it wasn't so darned accurate I probably would have sold it for parts.
http://gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=Glenfield+25

Tinman507
07-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks Popeye.
I attempted to purchase a whole trigger for this about a year ago from Numerich but they were sold out. I did find one on Ebay, as distasteful as that was.
I had broken the safety lever stud off. Had my smithy extract the stud and install the new lever.
I have the rest of the trigger still. May have to get that installed as the sear is wearing out. He machined a new ledge on it but it's only temporary. It's tool cool an old gun to just hang up but if it won't fire safely, I may have to.

Popeye
07-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes it's sad but sometimes you just have to put them to rest. I'm not going to put anymore money in the Marlin. It shoots good and cycles well at the moment but who knows what's next. It's worth more in parts like the stock,trigger assembly, and the bolt. They would probably still draw a few bucks to put towards another 22.