PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my AR15

melissa5
07-08-2012, 06:12 AM
This is it before the transformation.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4816/dscn2061pc.jpg

I removed the 7" rails and foregrip and installed a 12" modular free floating handguard, installed an Aimpoint Pro 2 MOA, Primary Arms 3x magnifier on a LaRue flip to the side mount, and a Magpul grip+, and Magpul STR stock. I will also be installing Troy Micro flip up sights when they arrive.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4821/photo2lq.jpg

JFootin
07-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Are you not going to miss the front pistol grip?

melissa5
07-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Are you not going to miss the front pistol grip?

I don't think so. My shooting style has changed since I attended an Appleseed event. The longer rail and no foregrip give me more hand space to use to adjust my sight picture.

ruf45
07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Nice upgrades. Looking good

TheTman
07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
When you get tired of playing with that, can I have it? :D
I'll trade you something nice for it. I know you'd love my 5" M&P Pro 9mm. Be careful with that one though, as it may change your mind about Glocks. :p

les strat
07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
VERY nice Melissa!

So, is it lighter, or does the new handguard make it heavier? Also, I see you ditched the weapon light. Planning on adding it back?

My Colt LE6920 came factory with all the basic Magpul MOE stuff, which means you usually have to use their rail attachments, etc. I am adding one of their mounts for a weapon light, probably a Surefire Scout LED.

One more thing, I am looking at magnifiers for my Eotech. How do you like the Primary Arms? After buying my Eotech EXPS3-4 yesterday, this boy won't be getting an Eotech brand magnifier for a long time. I was thinking of another cheaper, but good brand. Vortex? Burris? PA? I am knew to AR's, and am not going full tilt, just optics and a weapon light.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/KevinJenne/ColtAR15.jpg

melissa5
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
VERY nice Melissa!

So, is it lighter, or does the new handguard make it heavier? Also, I see you ditched the weapon light. Planning on adding it back?

One more thing, I am looking at magnifiers for my Eotech. How do you like the Primary Arms? After buying my Eotech EXPS3-4 yesterday, this boy won't be getting an Eotech brand magnifier for a long time. I was thinking of another cheaper, but good brand. Vortex? Burris? PA? I am knew to AR's, and am not going full tilt, just optics and a weapon light.

Thanks!

The new handguard is a little heavier than the one it replaced. The weapon light will be going on my house gun (Daniel Defense 300 Blackout).

So far, I really like the PA magnifier. The glass is very clear and there are no funny spots around the edges. Also, it was very easy to get it adjusted so that it centered on the Aimpoint dot. It was only $109. I did buy an expensive mount though ...LaRue flip to the side $150 ouch. It is rock steady, yet easy to manipulate.

les strat
07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks!

The new handguard is a little heavier than the one it replaced. The weapon light will be going on my house gun (Daniel Defense 300 Blackout).

So far, I really like the PA magnifier. The glass is very clear and there are no funny spots around the edges. Also, it was very easy to get it adjusted so that it centered on the Aimpoint dot. It was only $109. I did buy an expensive mount though ...LaRue flip to the side $150 ouch. It is rock steady, yet easy to manipulate.

I have been looking hard at the Vortex VMX3 magnifier with the LaRue flip. Imight just hold off and see if I can find a used Eotech at a decent price, but I want the Larue flip whatever I get.

johnh
07-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Nice rifle! I am getting ready to do an AR build more like where you started than where you ended up. I want to set something up that has "just what I need" features. Also try to keep it fairly light--not so far as the lightweight build I did a couple years back, but nothing extra that adds weight without function. Right now the plan is:

16" M4 profile barrel, CL, 1/7, 5.56
STR stock
MOE+ grip
Magpul trigger guard
fixed A2 front sight
MATECH BUIS
Eotech
ambi-charging handle latch (I shoot left handed)
standard LPK
NP3 finished bolt carrier assembly
Vortex
MI two piece floated handguard, carbine length

A working gun rather than something flashy. The Eotech may be temporary as I tend to prefer Trijicon Reflex sights, but I found a good deal on a used 512 so thought I would try one again. Last time I had one it was okay, but I never liked the bulk of it.

melissa5
07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Nice rifle! I am getting ready to do an AR build more like where you started than where you ended up. I want to set something up that has "just what I need" features. Also try to keep it fairly light--not so far as the lightweight build I did a couple years back, but nothing extra that adds weight without function. Right now the plan is:

16" M4 profile barrel, CL, 1/7, 5.56
STR stock
MOE+ grip
Magpul trigger guard
fixed A2 front sight
MATECH BUIS
Eotech
ambi-charging handle latch (I shoot left handed)
standard LPK
NP3 finished bolt carrier assembly
Vortex
MI two piece floated handguard, carbine length

A working gun rather than something flashy. The Eotech may be temporary as I tend to prefer Trijicon Reflex sights, but I found a good deal on a used 512 so thought I would try one again. Last time I had one it was okay, but I never liked the bulk of it.

That sounds like it will be a nice build. I was going to use a Matech sight until I read that it needed a fixed A2 front sight. Don't remember where I read that.

Haven
07-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Looks nice Melissa!

I definitely want to go to a Appleseed event.

melissa5
07-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks Haven!

After receiving the Troy flip up sights, I decided to send them back and get a Matech rear and Troy HK style front sight.

I got all the sights installed and sighted in yesterday. Absolutely love this rifle. One of the best things about her is that she will run WPA military classic 62gr - $118 for 500 rounds. :D

les strat
07-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Is that barrel a 1:7 twist?

melissa5
07-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Is that barrel a 1:7 twist?

Yes

jocko
07-22-2012, 11:49 AM
better hold on to that AR now kiddo. things are gonna ruff forgun onwers for awhile. I truly hope I am wrong to. but as u know we only haveone newsmedia thaqt is basically pro gun and that is fox, the rest wantour guns..

melissa5
07-22-2012, 12:22 PM
better hold on to that AR now kiddo. things are gonna ruff forgun onwers for awhile. I truly hope I am wrong to. but as u know we only haveone newsmedia thaqt is basically pro gun and that is fox, the rest wantour guns..

Yeah, I'm about to order a case or 2 of ammo for it before it goes sky high.