PDA

View Full Version : PM45 3000 round report (with pics) - the good, bad & ugly

Wilson2008
02-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Please forgive me for making this my first post. I posted this on another site and a kind man suggested that I share this here.

I recently went over 3000 rounds on the PM45 I bought in mid-2008. Since there aren't that many posts about high round count Kahrs (and lots of questions about how they hold up) here's my sample of one:

My PM45 is a great shooter and has been since day one. It has malfunctions only after 150+ rounds have been shot in one session, and a quick wipe and lube fixes it right up. I always clean it after I shoot it, use grease on the metal contact points on the rail, and have polished the feed ramp a few times using silver polish from the kitchen. Otherwise it gets no special treatment - just a lot of lint.

Around 2400 rounds it started dropping the magazine uncommanded while firing. I ordered a new magazine catch spring and took the opportunity to get new recoil and striker springs as well. It went in the safe and my Sig took over as my carry gun.

The magazine catch spring didn't help at all, and by now it was dropping the magazine every few shots. It dropped the 5 round mag. It dropped the 7 round mags I carry as spares. It did it strong hand, weak hand, with a buddy shooting it... It wasn't me.

I like figuring things out myself, so next I ordered a new magazine catch. When it arrived I was disappointed to find that it looked exactly like the old one. (See pictures below. The top one is the old, the bottom is new).

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/Wilson20082008/PM457.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/Wilson20082008/PM458.jpg

I went to the range figuring it would only take a few shots to drop another magazine. It didn't. I shot 200 rounds without a single malfunction. A week later I went and shot another 200 without a problem. This was mostly FMJ with a box of carry ammo thrown in just to make sure. I am amazed that the new part made such a difference. I guess it just shows how tight the tolerances are on Kahrs.

My PM45 is back on my hip now. It's gone a little over 3100 total rounds. I'm going to replace the recoil springs every 1000 rounds from now on and get a new magazine catch at the first sign of trouble. I'll post any other problems if they happen.

- Wilson

More pictures:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/Wilson20082008/PM451.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/Wilson20082008/PM455.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee357/Wilson20082008/PM456.jpg

jocko
02-26-2010, 04:24 PM
nice report, u can shoot a kahr until the cows come home. Your not gonna break anything. Replace recoil springs as u see fit and fire away. Kinda odd that those mag catchs look exactly the same but yet they are different.

Vinikahr
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for sharing this.

Ol'coot
02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the report on the longevity of your PM45 it good to know that these little guns hold up to the wear and tear of use. I have just over 1500 rounds through my PM9 and with no issues and couldn't be happier with my purchase

PigButtons
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for sharing this here.
I cashed in some old jewelry this week
and used the money to purchase a pm45 and a pm9.
I only have 50 rounds through each
with only one feed issue on round 14 on the pm45.
I'm impressed with your report because as you say
there are few high count reports out there.
I'm even happier now about having two of these little jems.

Vinikahr
02-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the board.
Yes all the positives are need it.

jocko
02-26-2010, 05:13 PM

how about 25,800 through my PM9 and not one broken part... oh and did I mention you can shoot a kahr until the cows come home!!!

and alittle over 5000 through my used K9 which sits home alot, very lonely.

Vinikahr
02-26-2010, 05:15 PM
how about 25,800 through my PM9 and not one broken part... oh and did I mention you can shoot a kahr until the cows come home!!!

Do you reload Jocko?:eek::eek::eek:

jocko
02-26-2010, 05:25 PM

I get a 10% discount at wally world due to wifes working there, so 100 pak of WWB 9mm cost me under $20. I can't reload much cheaper than that, and at my age, I just don't want to spend time at a reloading bench. Let alone getting ripped off on reloading supplies, which are also in this area extremely rare to find and very expensive when one does.

Course all of this verbage above could also be a good excuse for just saying "I am lazy".:eek:

jocko
02-26-2010, 05:26 PM

But I have stayed at a Holiday Inn lately:p

Vinikahr
02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
I get a 10% discount at wally world due to wifes working there, so 100 pak of WWB 9mm cost me under $20. I can't reload much cheaper than that, and at my age, I just don't want to spend time at a reloading bench. Let alone getting ripped off on reloading supplies, which are also in this area extremely rare to find and very expensive when one does.

Course all of this verbiage above could also be a good excuse for just saying "I am lazy".:eek:

Thanks for elaborating, I only wish that could get ammo
at Wally World. I am lazy too. I did some reloading 20 years ago and did not found any economical benefit to do it, unless you buy by the ton. Am good with a few rounds now and then.

jocko
02-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for elaborating, I only wish that could get ammo
at Wally World. I am lazy too. I did some reloading 20 years ago and did not found any economical benefit to do it, unless you buy by the ton. Am good with a few rounds now and then.

back years ago when I was a firearms dealer and had a business license. Then I could buy that stuff right, and back 30 years ago, right was probably less than a nickel a round for 9mm and I mean with fmj bullets to. I remember we use dot sell Winchester powder by the pound cans for less than $7. Have no idea what powder is today.

oh for the good ol days:phone: