PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question(s)

toocool
07-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I picked up my new-to-me K9 today, bought used through a fellow enthusiast. I brought it home and stripped it down and cleaned it, and had an issue reassembling, and I'm not sure if I may have messed something up. When I reassembled and got the slide/barrel assembly back on, the recoil spring guide stuck out maybe 3/4" with the slide/barrel in what appeared to be their normal position. I attempted to remove the slide again, and I don't know exactly what I did, but everything then went back into position, i.e. the guide rod went back where it should be. I wasn't able to test fire the gun yet, but manually cycling the slide seems to function with no problems. What could I have done to cause the gude rod to be extended as it was?

Second question...something I've always done to check the firing pin strength is to put a pencil down the barrel (gun unloaded, of course) point up and pull the trigger. Usually the pencil will launch out of the barrel, but in the case of the K9, it doesn't seem to do anything (pencil just lays there), causing me to wonder if I have a striker issue. I haven't tried a detail strip of the slide yet, as I'm still getting used to field-stripping this one (it's different than my CW45). Could I possibly have a problem with the striker? The guy I bought the gun from has several Kahrs, he bought this one used, and replaced all the springs when he got it, and then only put a couple hundred rounds through it. While I had it apart I did depress the striker block and was able to move the striker, and it seems to move relatively freely, but it only extends through the hole a very tiny bit... I don't have a way of measuring, but it's not a lot. I'm wondering if it's enough for reliable ignition. I guess the only way to be sure is to take it to the range and see what happens, but I thought I'd ask here, too...

Thanks for any assistance. I really do like this one, and I'm hoping to be able to use it as one of my carry pieces.

TucsonMTB
07-14-2012, 11:03 PM
It's easy to get the recoil spring out of place until you get accustomed to getting it into the right spot where it rests on the barrel. If the gun cycles by hand, you are good to go. Worry about it the next time it happens. ;)

You test is valid and the results troubling. However, the eraser end of the pencil will not work for me. Use something solid, like the non-eraser end of an un-sharpened pencil or a cheap plastic pen.

Did you clean the striker channel? At least blow it out with brake cleaner. Better, tear down the slide. Also, you should be able see the striker spring and should be able to make it function with our finger with the slide off.

ripley16
07-15-2012, 04:07 AM
My guess on the guide rod protrusion is that the end caught on the frame and was forced off it's normal spot against the barrel lug, then slipped back into position.

The pencil test with striker fired guns, IMHO, is best done lead side down and unsharpened. My Kahrs do not all sent the pencil flying the same amount, but it should at least clear the barrel.

I'd advise you shoot the gun before tearing it apart to fix a problem you may not have.

jocko
07-15-2012, 05:10 AM
take the gun out and shoot the fokker. quit worrying about what probably is no issue. The pehcil thing is so-so in kahrs, u aint shootin pencils. SHOOT THEFOKKER. My bet, all is well.

U did not actualy76 say if u stripped the slide down... did u?? Did u at east give that cleanout holein the bototm of the slide a good spray cleaning to get that striker channel clean and free possably of ay crude. U bought a used gun, u hav eno dlue what if anything has ever been done to it. Assume nuttin. assume it si dirtier than a turd hanging out of a dogs ass..