PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Red Label All Weather, Strainless + Wood Stock?

aKahrt_and_p2KT
07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm sending my all weather red label in for refinishing, at the same time I have the option of changing the composite stock to wood, it's not cheap but it's now or never and who doesn't like the feel of wood?

Any opinions on this? Do I devalue the gun by changing the stock? Red Labels are out of production.

Thanks!

akahrt

Planedude
07-19-2012, 01:39 PM
You "collecting" this gun or shooting it? Would you not get your OG stock back after the stock exchange?
If you get the OG stock back and have a wood stock you like... WIN-WIN.

Worst case, remove the action from the rife and send just that with a note to install the new stock after the refinishing.

TucsonMTB
07-19-2012, 01:59 PM
I am guessing that Mr. Planedude nailed it.

Admittedly, I have not shot one of these, but at 8 pounds with the synthetic stock, this gun would be a little heavy for me. Is the wood version lighter? If so, that might help you make the decision.

Oh, and who is rebuilding it for you? If the Ruger factory is doing the work, I can't see how it would reduce the value at all. Posted reviews of the factory rebuilds done as repairs have been excellent.

aKahrt_and_p2KT
07-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the input, I'm not sure about weight differences as far as numbers go. It's a shooter, I just neglected it a few years ago and realize its worth fixing up.

mr surveyor
07-19-2012, 04:24 PM
I want to see a picture. Never knew Ruger sold the Red Lable with anything other than wood.

I'd spring for the refinish and wood, and not worry about devalue. I never place a high "collectable" value on anything with plastic on it anyway.

surv

TucsonMTB
07-19-2012, 04:54 PM
I want to see a picture. Never knew Ruger sold the Red Lable with anything other than wood.

surv
Hey Surv!

This picture is from a review at http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/ruger_red_label_all-weather/

http://www.gunmart.net/images/content/gun_reviews/340/C.jpg

You can probably find others on GunBroker.com where there are several for sale.

CJB
07-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I'd go wood in a NY second.

I have a 12g Red Label... wood of course... and happier than a clam with it.

With wood, you get some options on recoil reducers, pads etc... that may/may-not work with the composite and/or poly stock.

Barth
07-19-2012, 07:53 PM
You "collecting" this gun or shooting it? Would you not get your OG stock back after the stock exchange?
If you get the OG stock back and have a wood stock you like... WIN-WIN.

Worst case, remove the action from the rife and send just that with a note to install the new stock after the refinishing.

+1
You should get your old stocks back. So why not?
And let's be honest, you're not going to sell it anyway - LOL!

aKahrt_and_p2KT
07-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Why would anyone ever sell a gun? Wait, I sold one gun in my life...a side by side savage to my best friend for $50 and a pizza (drunk deal) but he loves it and I didn't like the double trigger. I shot it last weekend Saturday morning before my wedding and maybe I shouldn't have sold it...lol

Ljutic
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Shotguns are/were my thing and while fancy wood is nice (Ljutic, Perazzi, Beretta) I wouldn't change a thing on my Red Label all weather stainless. Granted, I don't shoot it much anymore due to spending so much trigger time with pistols, but when I get it out for the occasional round of skeet or sporting, I love it black stock and all.

Jeremiah/Az
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I have a Red Label in 12 gauge blue with wood stock that I bought new. I was shooting a round of trap & the stock broke completely in two at the wrist. I called Ruger about it. The very first question they asked me was," Have you ever taken the stock off?" She said that would negate the warranty. I had not & they replaced with a new stock.

Ljutic
07-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Well there you go. Another good reason to leave it black.

I once had a local smith make me a custom stock for a Beretta 303 from a laminate blank. If I ever did replace the Red Label composite stock with a wood stock, I'd probably go down that path again vs. fancy walnut.

aKahrt_and_p2KT
07-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Did you have any problems with your all weather? Mine looks pretty rough I hope they can help it out.

Ljutic
07-20-2012, 01:53 PM
No problems with my all weather. It spends most of it's time in a SKB case. Maybe I need to check on it.

aKahrt_and_p2KT
07-21-2012, 06:55 AM
I must have really neglected my gun in my youth I guess. Anyway, guns heading in next week I sure hope they can clean it up.

aKahrt_and_p2KT
10-12-2012, 09:22 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/8zji1f.jpg

They do quality work, came back looking beautiful, one of a kind for sure.

CJB
10-12-2012, 09:30 PM
HOT DAMN!~~

Love my Red Label... pity they've been discontinued.

Bawanna
10-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Learn a lot here. I never knew they made a tupperware Red Label either.

Sure looks good now.

aKahrt_and_p2KT
10-12-2012, 10:30 PM
HOT DAMN!~~

Love my Red Label... pity they've been discontinued.

It really is a pity. I took a couple people out pheasant hunting last weekend and let them shoot my red label on some clays beforehand, they really liked it. I really like it. I feel that I've shot better since I've gotten it back but I might just be smitten with it. :D

Planedude
10-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Yes, that is really nice. Congrats on getting it just the way you wanted.

muggsy
10-13-2012, 06:56 AM
A man can't have too many stocks. :)