PDA

View Full Version : My birthday present to myself--M4 build

johnh
07-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Gang,

With my b-day coming up this week, I decided to continue the tradition of buying myself a present. That way I am sure to get what I want. :D I did an M4 build, doing as much of the work myself as possible and incorporating just features I thought should be present in a basic, working carbine. The upper is a complete DSA with 1/7 chrome lined M4 profile barrel. Many thanks to them for the good deal on that! The lower is DSA from a previous build, with internals from M&A Parts. Also from M&A is an NP3 coated bolt carry assembly and charging handled (again, many thanks!). The ambi-latch I added as I shoot long guns left handed. The flash suppressor is a DSA Trident. It has a MWI two-piece floated rail system, MATech Army issue BUIS, Trijicon Reflex II, Magpul MOE+ grip and MOE stock.

I stripped the gun down most of the way and Duracoated it in Magpul Flat Dark Earth. While I do not live in the desert, I find that various shades of brown and tan are a really good all-purpose camo, that works in far more environments than green or black.

Yes the front grip is generic. I will likely replace that later, but it was in my parts bin. I tend to grip the forearm more like the Magpul trainers advocate, so am using that grip and handstop more like a Magpul AFG. I may try an AFG just to see if I like that better.

I am really pleased with how it turned out. I have built quite a few ARs, but this was my first attempt to combine all the basic stuff I prefer in one project. The only major change I foresee at this point is adding an Accucam mount for the Reflex II.

http://kahrtalk.com/picture.php?albumid=64&pictureid=629

melissa5
07-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Very nice, John! I had second thoughts about the Troy flip up rear and also went with the Matech.

johnh
07-22-2012, 02:16 PM
My thought was if it meets Army durability standards, it is good enough for me. I also like the ease of range adjustments.

swampman
07-22-2012, 03:03 PM
do you have any pics.?:) ok I see now ,very good :)

jocko
07-22-2012, 04:03 PM
if the front grip matched in color the rest of the weapon, it might look OK. Right now it looks lost. It kinda looks like a new guy on his first day in a nudist camp. Just saying.

Nice peace though..

johnh
07-22-2012, 06:47 PM
That is perfect because I often feel like the new guy at a nudist camp.

:D

jocko
07-22-2012, 07:04 PM
u know the hand shake of two new guys in a nudist camp then???? Just sayin

CJB
07-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Way nice ol' man!~

les strat
07-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Happy birthday! That's a nice build and great looking!

Lot's of folks buying/building AR's right now.

rholmes69
07-22-2012, 08:19 PM
u know the hand shake of two new guys in a nudist camp then???? Just sayin

I heard it always ended up looking more like a sword fight :faint2: :behindsofa:

MikeyKahr
07-22-2012, 08:32 PM

I think I'd rather be a new guy at a nudist camp than an old guy, jocko - just sayin'. :p Congrats johnh and happy birthday!

kahrseye
07-22-2012, 09:04 PM

The gun looks good John. I like your choice of colors. By the way, I've been to a nudist camp, it ain't all it's cracked up to be.....but that's a story for a different forum. :banplease:

yqtszhj
07-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Very nice there John. I like everything about it.

yqtszhj
07-22-2012, 10:20 PM
It kinda looks like a new guy on his first day in a nudist camp.

Jocko, you gotta get that nudist camp thing out of your mind. this is at least the second day. :D

jocko
07-23-2012, 04:39 AM
ur right I wasjust funnin John. no more , though. gotta get back on the gun thing.

Tinman507
07-23-2012, 04:46 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/shu0246l.jpg

LorenzoB
07-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Happy B-Day John. Awesome gift and the satisfaction of building it yourself!

johnh
07-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Thank you for the kind words guys! It is really fun to build ARs yourself. I decided a while back to learn to do that. So far they have all worked after suffering from my unskilled touch. :)

QuercusMax
07-24-2012, 07:21 PM
This is inspiration for me.

So far my only long guns are .22's, including an M&P 15-22.

Topping my wish list now is a AR-15 of some type. I will probably take the path of least resistance and buy a "whole" one to start with, but the build option is appealing.

Did you buy a whole one first, or was your first one a build?