PDA

View Full Version : When M1 Carbines Were Inexpensive

doc540
07-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Around 1963, the NRA made M1 carbines available to its members.

So, I mowed yards to raise the money, and begged my dad to order one.

You never knew what kind of condition you would get, but ours arrived in cosmoline (the devil's grease!).

$23 shipped

Still have it!

Winchester 1944
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/M1%20Carbine/1944Winchester.jpg

ripley16
07-25-2012, 04:40 AM
That was a great investment! Just one magazine costs near that today. I paid $600 for my last M1. Times have changed.

Popeye
07-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Very,very nice. Not hard see why you still have it.

jocko
07-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Around 1963, the NRA made M1 carbines available to its members.

So, I mowed yards to raise the money, and begged my dad to order one.

You never knew what kind of condition you would get, but ours arrived in cosmoline (the devil's grease!).

$23 shipped

Still have it!

Winchester 1944
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/M1%20Carbine/1944Winchester.jpg

indeedhow I remember that program. I bought ne back then. and when mine came it was totally never, never used, . I think it was a rockola but not sure. back then the M1 wasnot what it was today as far as a collectors gun, butu jsut a great deal to not pass on it. I probalby shot mine 20 times and putit in the box. I SOLD IT. . today I can't believe I did that but I did. I had a sportng goods buseinss back then and guns was a big part of it, and I not doubt felt I could make some good money on sellint it and I did. STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES: Forrest gump. fits e to a tee. U got a dandy their my friend, if for any reason hold on to it for how u origanily got it. I kew the price was $20 plus postage, u have a better memory than I do going basckthat far. U make me feel real bad today to. Just sayin.

Goldstar225
07-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Back in the mid 90's a local pawn shop had about 10-12 M-1 carbines in the rack for sale at what would now be dirt cheap prices. I kick myself in the butt now for not grabbing one or two.

JFootin
07-25-2012, 06:51 AM
indeedhow I remember that program. I bought ne back then. and when mine came it was totally never, never used, . I think it was a rockola but not sure. back then the M1 wasnot what it was today as far as a collectors gun, butu jsut a great deal to not pass on it. I probalby shot mine 20 times and putit in the box. I SOLD IT. . today I can't believe I did that but I did. I had a sportng goods buseinss back then and guns was a big part of it, and I not doubt felt I could make some good money on sellint it and I did. STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES: Forrest gump. fits e to a tee. U got a dandy their my friend, if for any reason hold on to it for how u origanily got it. I kew the price was $20 plus postage, u have a better memory than I do going basckthat far. U make me feel real bad today to. Just sayin.

What do they call it when Forest Gump relieves himself out in the woods?

Forest Dump! :banplease:

Planedude
07-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Yeah, my buddy had an FFL back in the 80's. He bought a case of 10 for $1400 and offered me the pick of the litter for $150. I asked was he going to get another case and he replied that it was already ordered. I passed on it for "next time" as my Daughter had a dance comp in San Antiono the following week and I thought it prudent to keep that cash for any emergencys.
There were none. No emergencys and no more M1s. Between to my pass and the next shippment ol George H.W. Bush (Sr.) came out and said "let's control these assault guns" and the price bounced out of sight...

Would-a-Could-a-Should-a.:(

DKD
07-25-2012, 08:25 AM
You guys are bring back fond memories. I remember my father first picking up a pristine Springfield 30-06 for $14.75 and the for mentioned M-1 carbine for $20.00 and yes they both were covered in cosmoline. Guess who got the job of cleaning them...? I believe he still has both of them.

les strat
07-25-2012, 10:09 AM
If you guys ever get down here in Anniston, Alabama, you need to go to the CMP and the CMP store. They have a HUGE amount of Garrands for sale in all conditions.

kb2wji
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow that is a gorgeous M1!! My only experience with an M1 Carbine was scary, and limited. I trade here and there with a buddy of mine. One day we worked out a deal that got me into an M1 Carbine. Civilian model, made by "Universal". I took it out, shot about 50 rounds and went home. I love it. Did a little research, and found out that I was lucky to be alive. Apparently "Universal" was built by Sears from old lawn mower parts. They sucked, and had a habit of blowing up in your face. The better built models didnt blow up, but they would still steal your TV when you were at work. A kid died shooting one back in the late 80's (blew up in his face), which led to the demise of the company. So, I gave it back.

An older GI model has been on my wish list ever since. It was so much fun to shoot. You got yourself a cherry there.

JohnR
07-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Good investment indeed. That $23 is now $168 with inflation.

In that year, gold was worth $35 an ounce, or $256 in 2011 dollars.