PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Mag Troubles

Vincent
09-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Both of my magazines I use for my CW9 have the same issue. The top round or even the top two round come flying out of the mag at the slightest bump or movement. One mag is pretty much brand new and came with the pistol and the other is 12-13 years old wasused with my old E9.

To be fair I have never asked Kahr about this. It does not happen in the gun. But I have had to put a rubber band around the mag before putting it in the mag holder or I end up with 5 rounds in the mag and two in the holder:eek::mad:

500KV
09-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Just when I think I've heard everything.
Now that is strange.
You say with both mag's. Two bad mag's would be very unlikely wouldn't it?
Have you tried another brand of ammo?
Do the mag's look *sprung*?
I assume they're factory mag's.

Vincent
09-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Both factory mags. All types of ammo (at least 7 or 8 types).

Some times the top round will jump out even before I can get it into the holder. I am using a SIG German Police P6 single mag hold with snap closure. When I used to carry the mag in my pocket it did the same thing. They both appear in great shape, so much so I can not tell the new one from the old.

I read somewhere that a weak mag spring can cause this in 1911 mags:confused::rolleyes:

500KV
09-07-2009, 08:42 AM
I was going to suggest that you check the mag springs and make sure they're moving freely, not hanging on the inside of mag body.
Do the rounds seem to have good spring tension on them?
I haven't had my mag's apart but could the springs be in backwards/upside down?

500KV
09-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I am using a SIG German Police P6 single mag hold with snap closure.

I'm not familiar with this part. Could you enlighten me?

jocko
09-07-2009, 08:57 AM
if u carry the spare magazine loosley the round will come out. Kahr magazines seem to have alittle top lip design. You should anyways carry a spare magazine in one of those leather or nylon magazine holders that has a top flap over it. You won't loose a round that way.

Nothing wrong with your magazines, IMO.

I have a ruger lcp and if I carry the sapre magazine in my pants pocket or where ever , loosely, it will also pops rounds out...

500KV
09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Just for kicks I tried my six Kahr mags (PM9 and CW45) and none of them do what he's describing.
IOW the rounds have good tension on them and don't try to "pop out " like he said.
Mine are fairly new mags though. Strong springs.

Vincent
09-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm not familiar with this part. Could you enlighten me?

This is an enclosed leather mag pouch. It was issued to German police for there P6 Mags. The P6 is the same as the Sig 225 which I owned until last week when it was replaced with a SIG 239 DAK.

It does not seem to matter. I have had them pop out and onto the table while holding them in my hand:eek::eek:

greenjeans
09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I have heard of this problem before quite often with the 9mm mags. A buddy of mine has a E9 and the mags that came with it do the same thing. I have a CW9 and a CW45, two factory mags each, and none of them have the top round pop out. I have tried to get them to come out by bumping/jarring and can't make them do it.

Armson-OEG
09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
My CW9 does this on all 4 mags i own. Purchased in April 08, spare mags purchased in the following months. They would pop out in a cadex /plastic molded case But found a nice nylon case at REI that works horizontal or vertical and seems to keep the rds in place....

My opinon. the Mags do need a better feedlip setup

Diocoles
09-09-2009, 05:42 PM
CW9 with 4 mags and have never had a round pop out. I did find in the military to always load a mag 1 round short if you have this issue. Could be a break in problem or just needing a tweak in on the lips. Get the specs and check your mag lips.

paintwerk
09-16-2009, 10:49 PM
My extended 8 round mag for my P9 does the same thing. I contacted Kahr about it, and they said send it in and they will replace it. I havent done so yet, but will soon.

No problems with the 7 round mag though

johnh
09-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I had this happen with some of mine. I did get in touch with Kahr and swapped them out. I suspect this is an issue of tight tolerances in the magazines making a very small change more significant than one would expect. The magazines are clearly designed (as with the rest of the gun) to just fit the cartridges without wasting space. The mags functioned fine, so it was only a matter of convenience for me when carrying concealed. I had no doubts of their reliability.

John

Vincent
02-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Sorry for just getting back to this. I changed the way I carry them because the German Leather mag holder broke at the belt loop and I almost lost my spare mag as it went under my car:( Luckily something did not feel right and it was found. I bought another mag holder and now it not only releases the first round but it partly releases the second round so if I had to reload in a hurry I would not only be a round down but the mag would not go into the pistol with out stopping and reseating the SECOND round!

I would like to add that both mags function great in the gun. I have been reticent about sending them back to Kahr because this is my every day carry gun. I need to get a holster for my 239 so it can be my back up carry. Really says something great about how I feel about Kahr when a SIG Sauer P239 is the BACK UP:eek::D

I will not carry any semi auto with out a spare mag though. It is not about fire power either. To many bad things happen to magazines.

Last summer I was shooting my buddy's Springfield 1911 Compact when the gun emptied the magazine's contents on the ground and my feet. At first I thought I had some how released the mag because I do not shoot 1911s much. But it was not me. A brand new Colt magazine floorplate broke off and dumped the mag's contents, ammo, spring and follower:eek: Yes this is supposed to be a WELDED floorplate:eek::eek::( I think you are not protecting your self if you carry a semi with out a spare mag.
I will call Kahr tomorrow on this problem.

jocko
02-07-2010, 03:14 PM
My PM9 mags willdo this also. I canot carry a spare mag in my pocket without this happening. I don't either so it is a no braine rfor me. If your gonna carry a spare loaded kahr magazine it best bein some type of a mylon or leather mag pouch. I do not think they are defective magazine either,just the design of them by kahr. I have often thought that maye those magazines were designed that way due to the offset feed ramp design on the kahrs. Just a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess)..

jeep45238
02-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Check out a formed Kydex mag holder - it'll keep outside forces from touching the rounds and popping them out of the mag. A good leather holder will do the same thing, but I have yet to find a nylon that will do that.

Odds are it's NOT a feed lip design. Weak springs CAN let this happen easier, but if you're not loading the top round ALL the way in where you feel the rim 'snap' into the mag, rounds will always pop out of these buggers if touched.

Magazine Pouches - products new home - Single Mag Pouches (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=28)

They're a little pricy, but the quality is incredible. They are adjustable for draw tension, are very secure, easy to pop on and off if you loosen your belt first, stay in place, and as long as you choose the proper caliber you can run one for multiple Kahr models.

Magazine Pouches - (http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?cPath=22)
Rest of the options there.

swampman
02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
My PM9 mags willdo this also. I canot carry a spare mag in my pocket without this happening. I don't either so it is a no braine rfor me. If your gonna carry a spare loaded kahr magazine it best bein some type of a mylon or leather mag pouch. I do not think they are defective magazine either,just the design of them by kahr. I have often thought that maye those magazines were designed that way due to the offset feed ramp design on the kahrs. Just a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess)..
I bought some nylon knife cases from wal-mart they have a loop for your belt,but I carry them in my pockets,they work for all my single stack mags including my kimber 45 ultra elite. :D

wyntrout
02-07-2010, 05:17 PM
$28 for one kydex mag holder + shipping! You can get 2 for $16 SHIPPED from Tactical Kydex: 2 IWB or 2 OWB or one of each. If you need bigger belt loops email him -- the standard fits 1 1/2" belts. The holders are simple all kydex with a screw adjustment for retention.
Tactical-Kydex:
Kydex magazine holders - Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122507)

He can make them for all Kahrs now. I've posted this info a few times, but it's such a good deal I hate to see anyone blow more $ than they need, if these will suit your needs. They are not fancy and kind of small, but work. For pocket carry you could use them as is, or trim the kydex clip off, or a better idea would be to ask Mitchell about making them without clips for pocket carry. It's his HOBBY and he's open to suggestions by email. He likes PayPal and that's easy and free for personal transfers. PayPal is a good thing to add to your choices. Sign up for free and get verified. I did that for buying and selling and the 3 different transfers to Mitchell were my first personal transfers. I don't get paid or kickbacks for these referrals.
Wynn:D

Vincent
02-07-2010, 05:23 PM
As I said I was using a leather holder with a snap cover designed for the SIG P6/P225. It was a good piece (German police issue) but was not real tight on the smaller Kahr mags. Now I'm carrying it in an injection molded plastic. one that has a spring in it to hold the mag tight. If the mag has been in it less than 1/2 hour it is fine but after that it is lose.

The kydex ones look good. I'll try them next.

jeep45238
02-07-2010, 05:28 PM
$28 for one kydex mag holder + shipping! You can get 2 for $16 SHIPPED from Tactical Kydex: 2 IWB or 2 OWB or one of each. If you need bigger belt loops email him -- the standard fits 1 1/2" belts. The holders are simple all kydex with a screw adjustment for retention.
Tactical-Kydex:
Kydex magazine holders - Glock Talk (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1122507)

He can make them for all Kahrs now. I've posted this info a few times, but it's such a good deal I hate to see anyone blow more $ than they need, if these will suit your needs. They are not fancy and kind of small, but work. For pocket carry you could use them as is, or trim the kydex clip off, or a better idea would be to ask Mitchell about making them without clips for pocket carry. It's his HOBBY and he's open to suggestions by email. He likes PayPal and that's easy and free for personal transfers. PayPal is a good thing to add to your choices. Sign up for free and get verified. I did that for buying and selling and the 3 different transfers to Mitchell were my first personal transfers. I don't get paid or kickbacks for these referrals.
Wynn:D

It's not always about price ;)

wyntrout
02-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I realize that. As I said, if these will fit your needs for utility, the price is great; but if you need them to match something, there are other choices, but for pocket carry these are super. I have to move them around a bit to keep the magazines from poking me, but I would probably have to do that with most holders, anyhow. They are so cheap that I got several of each type for each caliber ie., 2 IWB and 2 OWB. I have carried one in my pocket and removing the clip would make that much better. Having it made that way would look better, too. Mitchell will talk with you about the clip size and maybe leaving them off... or maybe have the "clip" could become a vertical piece to keep the magazine from gouging(?) Pix coming here shortly.
Wynn

#1: 3x .380 to left, PM9 right
#2 & 3: PM9
#4 & 5: .45 Using 7-round p45 mag

There's a fat rubber "washer" ~ 3/8" or so thick in the retention adjuster.

wyntrout
02-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Pix added and "fat washer" shown on rear.