PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a Walther P22

Scoundrel
08-09-2012, 08:28 PM
I won't talk about the price I paid for it, because it's nothing to shout about. I know I got taken, and I knew I was going to get taken before I even set foot in the shop. I did it because I wanted it, and I wanted it NOW, and the model (color) I wanted has been discontinued so I figured they were going to get harder to find.

Jeepster09 will approve of the color scheme, if nothing else. :)

At the LGS, I wanted to field strip it first, to make sure there wasn't any hidden damage. The sales manager didn't want to let me do it, even though I had dropped my ID, permit, and debit card on the counter in front of him. I stood my ground, told him I wasn't buying any gun I had not field stripped after the incident with the S&W AR-15 at Cabela's. I didn't quite have to go as far as putting my cards back in my wallet and turning my back on him, headed for the door - but it was a close thing.

His argument was that some guns gain cosmetic defects the very first time you take them down, and then nobody wants to buy that one. We finally compromised by letting HIM strip it, very carefully, and then I was able to inspect it. I took my time about it. I found nothing wrong with it. Hopefully not too many jackasses have dry fired it, causing deep hidden damage, but there was no way to check, and they did not have any more of them in the back.

So I took ownership of a shiny new OD Green Walther P22.

The first thing I did when I got home was take it apart and look it over again. Still nothing wrong with it. I considered cleaning it, but it didn't seem dirty at all. If the factory sent more than one round through it, someone cleaned it afterward. It was definitely brand new, there were no wear indicators on the friction/impact surfaces.

The factory goop was actually fairly thin (I think it was just motor oil), and everything seemed to slide/rotate smoothly, so I decided NOT to clean it before firing. I did, however, rack it 200 times and then brush a few plastic shavings out of some crevasses. It seems perfectly acceptable to me to receive a gun in this condition from the factory.

Then I went through the manual, becoming familiar with everything about it, and verifying the proper function of the action according to the manual's test procedure.

Today I went to the range to put it through its paces. Here's the ammo I brought with me:

Federal Bulk Pack 32gr Copper Plated HP 1250fps
Winchester Bulk Pack 36gr Copper Plated HP 1250fps
CCI Subsonic 40gr Lead HP 1050fps
Aguila SSS Sniper 60gr Subsonic Lead RN 950fps
Aguila Interceptor 40gr Copper Washed RN 1470fps
Aguila Super Colibri 20gr Lead Point 500fps

I did not bring ANY Stingers with me. I did my research on that and found that Stingers have a longer casing than standard .22lr, and as a result they do not fully seat in the P22's chamber, resulting in a dangerous condition where the unsupported casing can burst and spray brass and gunpowder everywhere (including in your eyes). Also, the P22 has a relatively small ejection port, so the longer casing is more likely to get stuck in there. Walther does not specifically mention Stingers in the manual, but people have contacted customer service and been told not to use Stingers for these reasons. That's good enough for me!

I started out with the Winchester. The nose on those things is pretty square, and I wanted to do those ones first, mainly because the Taurus 22PLY absolutely refuses to run that stuff and I was curious. I didn't run through ALL of it at once though. I did half, then came back to it later after running other stuff through.

I had a few failures with the Winchester. The second one failed to feed, one of them did a stovepipe, and a couple more did not knock the slide back hard enough to load the next round. Not great, but not terrible.

Next I ran some Federal bulk pack through the P22. I didn't have a single failure with that stuff. That's the stuff that the 22PLY likes best as well. By a very fortunate coincidence, it's also the absolute cheapest ammo I can find at just over $0.03/rd when purchased in 550-round boxes.

Then I decided it was time to go subsonic (of course, it is probable that ALL of the ammo I fired today stayed subsonic due to the short barrel, but I am talking about stuff that is subsonic even in its optimal environment).

In the subsonic category, I started with the Aguila 60gr stuff. I am well aware that the rifling in a standard short barrel pistol is absolutely not going to stabilize this bullet properly, but I didn't care much about that. I wanted to know whether I could sling 60 grains of lead without sonic booms, and have the action cycle properly. I was not disappointed. I have yet to find a gun that does not cycle properly with these beastly things. I have often suspected them of keyholing because of the size of the holes they punch in the paper, but this time I taped some thin cardboard to the target, and verified that they did NOT keyhole at 25 feet. I was able to hit a 3" x 4" rectangle of cardboard with a decent grouping (for a short pistol) at 25 feet. I like these rounds! I did have one feed failure in a box of 50. These rounds are pretty fat and the wax coating adds to that, so I'm not really surprised.

Next up was the Aguila Super Colibri. When I pulled the trigger, I almost could not tell that I had fired something. The slide did not cycle even once in 10 rounds, and I could barely even hear the pop with the earmuffs on. I might as well have been firing a CO2 pellet gun, and that's about how much damage I suspect they'd do as well. But they all loaded up fine from the magazine when I racked the slide by hand despite how short they are. There's a time/place for using those.

I didn't go through more than about 20 rounds of the Aguila Interceptors, but they cycled perfectly. If anything went supersonic, it was those.

The CCI Subsonic is my favorite .22lr round of all, but it did not work very well in this pistol. Out of a box of 100, I had about 15 of them fail to kick the slide back hard enough to feed the next round. Not very good statistics there. Oh well, I'll reserve those for use in the M&P 15/22 and the Ruger pistols, which love them!

After running through all of those, I put another 30 rounds each of the Federal and the Winchester through again, just to see if their performance stayed constant after letting the P22 stretch its legs and get choked up with some powder residue. They performed just as well as before (one more failure in the Winchester, none on the Federal).

When I got home, I took the P22 apart again and inspected for any damage, and to see how much gunk built up in it. I was surprised at how clean it was in there. The 22PLY is that way as well, which is a sharp contrast to the Ruger MKIII and M&P 15/22, which are dirty little ammo whores.

So that's a break-in and assessment of the Walther P22 with about 300 rounds of an assortment of ammo through it.

I've read online that the Walther P22 is/was finicky about ammo, like many small .22lr autos with slides, and that's certainly true with my Taurus 22PLY. However, I felt that the Walther P22 did very well with the ammo it was given, and only failed in ways that I was already anticipating. It exceeded my expectations, actually, and I am quite happy with it.

Here are some photos!

rholmes69
08-09-2012, 08:57 PM
I have one, it eats everything I have ever put in it other than the occasional stovepipe. It has had many thousands of rounds through it (seems to be the crowd pleaser like my .22 conversion for my AR) at the neighborhood farm shooting lane and it really is a fine pistol.

chrish
08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Congrats, it's one FUN little plinker. I see you got the 'Q' edition in OD green, didn't know they had released the 'Q' in anything but black. Cool.

I had a black 'Q' for awhile, more of a 'gotta try it out'. I initially purchased it thinking I'd have it as a 'trainer' to a PPQ and when I dropped the PPQ idea, decided to unload it. So I'm P22-less now, but I know you'll enjoy having it.

I personally never had a minutes trouble thru it. I put a couple thousand rounds thru it. Both CCI Stingers and Mini Mags, but also probably 1000-1500 of the Winchester M22 bulk packs from Walmart. Those worked fine as well. Had a couple of stove pipes during rapid fire sessions, couple of failure to fire (bad rounds). No failure to feeds that I recall. There were some occasions the slide didn't lock back, but I am confident I was riding the slide release. Amazingly accurate for a little .22 semi auto.

Anyway, loved mine, enjoy plinking.

Scoundrel
08-09-2012, 09:11 PM
As I understand it, the OD green model is now discontinued.

It is very possible that the information I found regarding the stingers is out of date. Indeed, I just fed one into the chamber and it seated all of the way in, unlike this guy's experience: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=77709

Looking more carefully, I see that his serial number starts with "L" and mine starts with "Z" if that means anything. Also his post is 2 years old. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Walther fixed it to accommodate the Stingers, given their popularity. I don't really feel the need to spend that kind of money or slap my Walther around like that though. Maybe if I was carrying it for SD, which I will not be.

Thanks for the feedback!

Planedude
08-10-2012, 07:07 AM
I bought one from a freind that needed to move it quick. I probally could have negotiated a better price, but a freind in need... you know.
Turns out it is a great little gun (after minor tuning), a fun plinker and a good "walk the dog" gun in a tiny Fobus holster.
I find mine eats alot of different brands of ammo but really likes the 36/40grain bullets. Lighter rounds give me more issues.
See this link: http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf more about the early SN# guns, but still a good disassembly manual.
Enjoy your P22.

Haven
08-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Just used this little gun for my Nephews first time out shooting. His first shot was a bulls eye too! Works great for a beginner. Was also easy for him to clean too. (rule is is you shoot, you help clean)

itsthelaw
08-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Great review and interesting to hear about the ammo. I bought one for my wife about a month ago and have not shot it yet. The reassembly is a bugger if you don't get everything just right. I can do it best and without the tool if I lay it on the back of the grip with the barrel pointing to the ceiling.

JFootin
08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
As I understand it, the OD green model is now discontinued.

It is very possible that the information I found regarding the stingers is out of date. Indeed, I just fed one into the chamber and it seated all of the way in, unlike this guy's experience: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=77709

Looking more carefully, I see that his serial number starts with "L" and mine starts with "Z" if that means anything. Also his post is 2 years old. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Walther fixed it to accommodate the Stingers, given their popularity. I don't really feel the need to spend that kind of money or slap my Walther around like that though. Maybe if I was carrying it for SD, which I will not be.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, good! I was about to cross the P22 off my list. :40:

GROTMAN
08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Congrats on your purchase :
I bought one about 3 weeks ago at a gun show. Same color. Had to be at least a half a dozen different people selling them and all at different prices.
Now have over 500 rounds through it and love it. The cci minimag 40 grain have been flawless and have also been through one box of stingers without problems as well. Also tried some winchester wildcats and had problems with feeding and ejection problems. Will stick to the minimags. My wife and dtr have also been shooting it and it is a great training gun..fun for the whole family. Actually been thinking about getting another one real soon !!

ripley16
08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I had the two barrel set P22 a while ago. I enjoyed the short barrel more than the long one. Seemed to work best with high velocity ammo. Enjoy your new plinker.

Cokeman
08-11-2012, 02:21 PM
P22s are awesome! Remington Golden Bullets are the best in P22s. Get them.

Scoundrel
08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
P22s are awesome! Remington Golden Bullets are the best in P22s. Get them.

What makes them the best?

7shot
08-11-2012, 03:29 PM
I bought one for the boy a year or so go, he really enjoys shooting it. It's a nice gun for the money.

Cokeman
08-11-2012, 10:42 PM
What makes them the best?

They work every time and are they cheapest ones that do. They are hotter than other bulk ammos. I always try to shoot bottles and cans and make them dance up the dirt backstop that I shoot against. I can do it pretty well with the P22. Minimags are fine but they cost more. Federal bulk is under powered and can't always cycle the slide back far enough to catch and load the next round.

Scoundrel
08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
They work every time and are they cheapest ones that do. They are hotter than other bulk ammos. I always try to shoot bottles and cans and make them dance up the dirt backstop that I shoot against. I can do it pretty well with the P22. Minimags are fine but they cost more. Federal bulk is under powered and can't always cycle the slide back far enough to catch and load the next round.

I see. Well, a while back I bought enough Federal rounds to make an NBCNews journalist drool while thinking up a headline. The hundred or so I ran through didn't give me any issues. Same stuff works well in the 22PLY, which is another gun I've heard can be really finicky.

If I start getting failures with the Federal, I'll keep this in mind - but since I already own a bucket of them, I'll stick with them until I have a reason to change.

Cokeman
08-11-2012, 11:58 PM
As long as the Federal is working, I'd keep using it. Mine did great with Federal at first, then something changed. After about 1300 rounds most rounds wouldn't load and the striker would go click on an empty chamber. I had about 20 stovepipes in that time too. It's been perfect since I changed to Remington. Perfect.

Scoundrel
08-12-2012, 12:01 AM
As long as the Federal is working, I'd keep using it. Mine did great with Federal at first, then something changed. After about 1300 rounds most rounds wouldn't load and the striker would go click on an empty chamber. I had about 20 stovepipes in that time too. It's been perfect since I changed to Remington. Perfect.

Weird that it changed. I trust you did the usual deep cleaning and looked for bent/broken stuff? I wonder when spring replacements are called for in the P22.

But I can't argue with success, and if the Remingtons are working, that's good. Have you run them suppressed? Do they go supersonic out of that short barrel?

Cokeman
08-12-2012, 12:56 AM
I keep the gun clean and have even taken the polymer part off to clean it well. Everything seems to be fine. I figured that if the spring had weakened, it would have an easier time cycling all the way back, not harder. The answers to the last two questions are no and I don't know.

Have you guys seen this?

P22 Bible (http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf)

Scoundrel
08-12-2012, 01:16 AM
I have seen it and even downloaded it and stored it in my "gun stuff" folder. But have not yet read it. Someone said it's mostly relevant to the older models.

Cokeman
08-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Might be. Mine is a 2007. Give it a quick scan one of these days and see.

Planedude
08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
I sent mine out with my Son who was having a range day with freinds. His young wife wanted to tagg along and she needed a gun to shoot.
She LOVES the P-22 now. She wants a P-22 now. I may end up losing a P-22 now...

:D:cool::D:cool:

Scoundrel
08-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a great reason to get a shiny new one!

JERRY
08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
my daugter loves her pink and nickled P22. it hasnt choked at all on anything from Rem. yellow jackets and vipers, Win white box bulk ammo, Rem. green box bulk ammo, or Win wildcats.

hundreds of rounds down range and not one dud, misfire, jam, stove pipe, failre to feed or ectract....i dont know if im more suprised because of the ammo or the gun. the smile says it all.....

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/JerryS357/100_5715.jpg

Scoundrel
08-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Tax stamp for suppressor arrived a couple of days ago.

Federal bulk pack 36 grain stuff is listed as being 1260fps at muzzle. There is speculation that a short (3.5") pistol barrel will not provide enough pressure to send this stuff supersonic, and that it is therefore just as good as the more expensive subsonic ammo in a suppressed pistol.

Well, I can now refute that idea with certainty. I fired some subsonic stuff and some of the Federal value pack stuff. The Subsonic stuff sounded like a BB gun and had no sonic boom (crack). The Federal stuff had a definite crack. The further away the target was, the more pronounced the crack was. Firing into the ground at 10 feet produced very little sonic crack. Firing further away produced a distinct crack that seemed to roll downrange.

I am now very glad I spent the time/effort/money becoming familiar with various types of subsonic stuff.

I would also like to note that the Aguila SSS 60gr subsonic rounds are specifically prohibited in the suppressor manual. They say using these will void your warranty. The reason they give is that barrels are not designed to stabilize these rounds properly and that if the bullets yaw upon exiting the muzzle, very bad things will happen.

I called and spoke with the tech on the phone, explained the testing I have done, and how I found that the 1:9 twist in the 8.5" barrel did not stabilize those rounds, but that when I moved up to a 16.5" barrel on the Charger pistol, they stabilized. I said I bought that barrel specifically for the SSS 60gr stuff, that the 1:9 barrel twist was specifically designed for that stuff, and that I bought a 500-round brick of it wanting to shoot it suppressed. I believe that he was duly impressed with the homework I had done on it, and said they a situation like mine was an exception to what they had printed in the manual.

Something to note, however, is that the Aquila powder seems very dirty (and stinky), and if it necessitates cleaning the suppressor more often, I may keep it for special occasions only.

Something else interesting to note is that CCI and GemTech got together and made a special subsonic round specifically for use with their suppressors. The stuff is spendy though, $6.99 for a box of 50. About the same as Stingers. Coincidentally, CCI's "Green Tag" 40gr subsonic stuff has very similar properties to the GemTech branded stuff, and is cheaper.

BucketBack
09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Nice gun, it's about the same as my Ruger SR22P. I shot a P22 a couple weeks ago when I met up for a gun buy. It's like the same company built them both. Mine likes everything I feed it, so did the P22