PDA

View Full Version : CM9 for a friend and possibly a CZ82 for me.

Popeye
08-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Was with one of my biker friends the other day We stopped buy the local GS so I could buy some 762X39 for my SKS. HE had a
Shield on order at the same GS but he has not moved up on the waiting list for almost two months. I had him looking at a CM9 and he pretty much fell in love with it. He just needed to sleep on it over night. Well yesterday he went back and bought it. Today after a good cleaning and the slide locked open all night we're going to the range this morning to see how it operates. I sure hope it's flawlees as I gave it a pretty good recommendation being that I own a PM9 that has been 100% reliable.

Ok now as some of you might already know I'm a huge CZ fan and own a CZ75 B and absolutely love it, but stop short of being a fanboy. So I'm hoping some of you CZ owners can give me a little info on the CZ82. I know it takes a 9x18 round that is a lot cheaper to buy than a .380 and has a little more punch to it. The finish looks like it might have been a police pistol as it shows some wear cosmetically which I'm not the least concerned about as most of the time it will live in my garage, but the rest of the pistol appears to be in excellent condition. It really looks like a quality piece that is of a straight blow back design. They only want $149 for it and I'm thinking of going back to day and put it on layaway. I had the money the other day but needed to redo my membership at the range so that would have made the rest of my month a little to tight fund wise.
So what do you CZ guys think good deal or not a good deal? TIA Popeye.

ripley16
08-15-2012, 05:38 AM
The CZ83 is a competent gun, has a polygonal barrel and has a nice trigger. They are all used, some are used up, and a function test is manditory to ensure parts are not worn out. The trigger sear, the mag release and the slide catch spring are known weak areas, so test them to make sure all are present and function correctly. It has no decocker.

The coating flakes off and many of these trades are rough looking, but for $149, what do you expect? As a "beater" there's no problem, and some folks even go to the expense of refinishing the gun.

I've owned both the CZ83 and CZ84, (which has a few differences), and always enjoyed then, with the exception of some hammer bite the CZ83 delivered. They are accurate and reliable and cheap.

2aforall
08-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey man. Saw your post. I have a leather and kydex iwb holster for a cz75b if you need one. I made one for a friend and just made an extra one.

Sent from tiny keyboard. Allow for errors.

Tinman507
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Was with one of my biker friends the other day We stopped buy the local GS so I could buy some 762X39 for my SKS. HE had a
Shield on order at the same GS but he has not moved up on the waiting list for almost two months. I had him looking at a CM9 and he pretty much fell in love with it. He just needed to sleep on it over night. Well yesterday he went back and bought it. Today after a good cleaning and the slide locked open all night we're going to the range this morning to see how it operates. I sure hope it's flawlees as I gave it a pretty good recommendation being that I own a PM9 that has been 100% reliable.

Ok now as some of you might already know I'm a huge CZ fan and own a CZ75 B and absolutely love it, but stop short of being a fanboy. So I'm hoping some of you CZ owners can give me a little info on the CZ82. I know it takes a 9x18 round that is a lot cheaper to buy than a .380 and has a little more punch to it. The finish looks like it might have been a police pistol as it shows some wear cosmetically which I'm not the least concerned about as most of the time it will live in my garage, but the rest of the pistol appears to be in excellent condition. It really looks like a quality piece that is of a straight blow back design. They only want $149 for it and I'm thinking of going back to day and put it on layaway. I had the money the other day but needed to redo my membership at the range so that would have made the rest of my month a little to tight fund wise.
So what do you CZ guys think good deal or not a good deal? TIA Popeye.

Saw one this morning on SOG (http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns-1/surplus-handguns/cz-82-9x18-w-hols-andextra-mag-1.html)for $209.95. $149 seems like a good deal and local too.

jlottmc
08-15-2012, 10:58 AM
I have a CZ52 and yes I know it is apples and oranges, but I love that gun tiny horrid sights and all. I can't shoot it as much as I would like as the local indoor range has said no steel core ammo, but I would very much like to take a hog with the little hollow points I found for it. CZ has long had a reputation for pretty stellar firearms for those in the know. I've been thinking about getting one in a more common caliber.

gb6491
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
The CZ83 is a competent gun, has a polygonal barrel and has a nice trigger. They are all used, some are used up, and a function test is manditory to ensure parts are not worn out. The trigger sear, the mag release and the slide catch spring are known weak areas, so test them to make sure all are present and function correctly. It has no decocker.

The coating flakes off and many of these trades are rough looking, but for $149, what do you expect? As a "beater" there's no problem, and some folks even go to the expense of refinishing the gun.

I've owned both the CZ83 and CZ84, (which has a few differences), and always enjoyed then, with the exception of some hammer bite the CZ83 delivered. They are accurate and reliable and cheap.
I have a CZ82 and pretty much agree with ripley16's analysis with the exception that I've not experienced any hammer bite with mine. The polygonal rifling is difficult to see; it almost appears as if the barrel is smooth bore. Controls are very much like the CZ75 as it can be carried with the hammer down (off the firing pin and blocked) or "cocked and locked" (ambi safety).Field strip is simple:clear, pull the front of the trigger guard down, push the slide to the rear and lift the back end free of the frame and slide it forward off the frame. The sights on mine have two white dots on the rear and a white post on the front.
"Accurate and reliable and cheap" - I might have went with "inexpensive", but that does pretty much sum it up:)
http://i49.tinypic.com/15nwvt1.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/a1tqac.jpg
Here's a link to a very good, detailed disassembly/assembly guide;
http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz-82-disassembly.html
Regards,
Greg

BTW, $149 would be an exceptional price down this way (I paid considerably more for mine and have no regrets).

Popeye
08-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a CZ82 and pretty much agree with ripley16's analysis with the exception that I've not experienced any hammer bite with mine. The polygonal rifling is difficult to see; it almost appears as if the barrel is smooth bore. Controls are very much like the CZ75 as it can be carried with the hammer down (off the firing pin and blocked) or "cocked and locked" (ambi safety).Field strip is simple:clear, pull the front of the trigger guard down, push the slide to the rear and lift the back end free of the frame and slide it forward off the frame. The sights on mine have two white dots on the rear and a white post on the front.
"Accurate and reliable and cheap" - I might have went with "inexpensive", but that does pretty much sum it up:)
http://i49.tinypic.com/15nwvt1.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/a1tqac.jpg
Here's a link to a very good, detailed disassembly/assembly guide;
http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz-82-disassembly.html
Regards,
Greg

BTW, $149 would be an exceptional price down this way (I paid considerably more for mine and have no regrets).

Damn Gregg it's like you are reading my mind with that Link. You Da Man.

Like I mentioned my biker friend and I went and shot his new CM9 this morning and I'm happy to say that it shot flawlessly. After we were done I headed over to the other GS to look at the Cz82 one more time. While I'm looking at it one of the other salesmen chimes in and say s we just got another one of them in las tnight and it's a little nicer. So I look at the one he's talking about and for $50 difference it's a no brainer. This thing hardly has a mark on it,and from all appearences has been shot very little.
It's a 1987 and it came with two 12 round mags.

Bawanna
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Nice! Looks in real nice shape and your timing was apparently close to perfect too.

Tinman507
08-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Very nice!
Enjoy!

Popeye
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey man. Saw your post. I have a leather and kydex iwb holster for a cz75b if you need one. I made one for a friend and just made an extra one.

Sent from tiny keyboard. Allow for errors.

Thanks for the offer but I already have a holster for the CZ75B.

Here's a couple more picks I hope ther e alittle clearer