PDA

View Full Version : Kahr trigger work?

Price
03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
So here is the story. I have a cw45 that I absolutely love and rave about anytime I get the chance. My roomate and good friend bought a matching cw45 because he felt his xd45 was too big and bulky for everyday carry. He does not seem to like the trigger so far, he has only put about 150 rds through it so far. I have put close to 1500 rds through mine and am just now reachin what I feel my peak of accuracy is. I mean this gun no doubt makes me look good. I think my buddy will learn to love the trigger as much as me but if he does not does anyone know of a good company that does trigger work on Kahrs. Any knowledge or expirience you could share would be great. Personally I think he is still adjusting or just down right crazy because I am shooting this gun better than any other pistol I have ever shot hands down, but I would rather see him get a trigger he can shoot comfortably than get rid of a great gun.
Thanks, Price

jeep45238
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Is it the pull weight or travel distance that he's having a problem with?

jocko
03-05-2010, 06:09 AM
n do yourself is buy the 5# striker spring from wolffs and installit in teh slide and it will reduce trigger poundage froma bout 7.5# downto 5# with zero effects on the gun. IT WILLNOT SHORTEN TRIGGER PULL. the pull will remain at 3/8". that is the design of the kahr.

Other than that spring change, the upper slide parts are smooth as glass also and if you have 1500 rounds through your kahr, then indeed it is wellsmoothed out that IMO evan an upper slide smoothn you nothing. What I am saying here is this. LEAVE THE GUN ALONE. you wll be waisting good money (as I did) for nothing. I have never seen a smoother trigger system better than a kahr, sure some alot shorter but again this is by design with kahr and ur not gonna change that Leave it be and just go out and conitune shootign it like you stole it..

ripley16
03-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I've often wondered how Kahr measures the length of pull of the trigger. At what point on the trigger is this measure taken? My guess is from the middle of the trigger. Anyone know?

jeep45238
03-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Standard method is to pull the trigger till slack is taken out (resistance met) and pull with a scale. If you pull at the top of the trigger, the weight will be high, if you pull at the bottom, it will be low.

jocko
03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
not sure how kahr measures it but there is no slack in a kahr trigger. If one will pull the slide off and just touch the trigger, you will see that the trigger bar is on the move. No slop in kahrs triggers. Just looooong by design 3/8" doesn't seem long but put it u against a glock or Smity M & P and it certainly is..

jeep45238
03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
not sure how kahr measures it but there is no slack in a kahr trigger. If one will pull the slide off and just touch the trigger, you will see that the trigger bar is on the move. No slop in kahrs triggers. Just looooong by design 3/8" doesn't seem long but put it u against a glock or Smity M & P and it certainly is..

I've got a slight amount before the sear engages the striker ;)

Alfonse
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I had my first outing with my PM9 yesterday. The trigger felt like a longer pull and stiffer than a P9. Is that correct? The P9 has been used more.

I'm going to spend more time with it before I change anything. Lighter and less travel was my wish on the first time out with it though.

jocko
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I've got a slight amount before the sear engages the striker ;)

but I did not make that statement. When you touch that trigger the trigger bar is on the move, as to when it actually engages the striker I cannot say. I just can't say what way kahr measures the 3/8" pull. It could very well be the striker, but in theory, that would not be right either, for they make the NYPD trigger system which is 1/2" travel, and the striker system is exactly the same, so the only change has to be in the trigger and where the trigger bar actually goes into the trigger to get that additional length of pull..

Probably no set industry standard for acutal trigger lenght.

jocko
03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I had my first outing with my PM9 yesterday. The trigger felt like a longer pull and stiffer than a P9. Is that correct? The P9 has been used more.

I'm going to spend more time with it before I change anything. Lighter and less travel was my wish on the first time out with it though.

trigger system exactly but the P9 being used more, IMO the kahr trigger systems do smooth up some what, not alot for they are smooth in the first place. Proabably no two striker springs will measure exactly the same poundage either,so there could be a slight feel difference,but it will be in poundage only and not in actual trigger travel, which si 3/8" on each model..
You can indeed go lighter but you won't go shorter travel, not that I would even want that either. Tghat is the only safety on your kahr is the looooong trigger travel before the BOOM thing ..

Alfonse
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I'll give it more range time. I couldn't imagine that there was much design difference between the P9 and PM9. The gun is beautiful. A bit more time, and it will be feeling just like home. Thanks for clarifying the P9 and PM9 are actually the same trigger mechanism.

jeep45238
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
What I personally did to mine:

Fired up the dremel, and got metal polish meant for hard metals (stick kind for me personally), and grabbed a felt wheel.

I polished the front and rear of the sear that engages the striker, the top of the sear that engages the firing pin block, the trigger bar where it rubs against the grip panels, the striker, striker spacer, striker channel, extractor pins and extractor where it rubs against the slide, and the trigger face.

After a cleaning, shooting and cleaning to remove any abrasives left behind, and lubing like normal - WOW is the trigger smoooooooooth and lighter. All components have a mirror finish, which recuded friction on the nickle plated surfaces. Everybody who hated the Kahr before is now seriously considering purchasing one.

Total time : less than 1 hour.

jocko
03-06-2010, 05:44 AM
thats all that cylinder and slide does and they want to charge $200 to do it. You did a nice job, glad it helped..

rjmcw9
03-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Jeep, Could you post a pic of where you exactly polished, as I am not sure which parts you worked on.

jeep45238
03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Jeep, Could you post a pic of where you exactly polished, as I am not sure which parts you worked on.

I'll do ya one better

YouTube - Kahr Action Job (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1cDRE0mYdY)

rjmcw9
03-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Jeep, Is that your video, well done. Unfortunately it is more that I can do. I might get it apart but will not be able to get it back together. :( Thank you for trying. RJM

jeep45238
03-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, it's mine.

It's pretty easy to take apart. The frame, if it's a MK, K, or T series is as simple as field stripping and removing the grip panels. Polymer, just field strip.

Slide, look in the tech section for how to detail strip the Kahr upper/slide, or something to that effect. It's really not bad. A hint though - a 1/16" hex wrench or bit is perfect for depressing the extractor plunger. I simply use a narrow flat head screwdriver to pull down on the striker spring, and toss the slide stop between the plate and the plunger on the end of the striker spring.

Alfonse
03-06-2010, 08:56 PM
That video is great. I can do that. Thanks for the info and video.

PigButtons
03-09-2010, 09:50 PM
After reading your post and watching the video I decided to give it a shot.

Once completely disassembled it was clear that there were really only two places for improvement on my PM9. First, the channel that the striker rides in looked, and felt, like it had been machined with a giant screw. There was a spiral ridge and groove track the entire length. I took a round, ceramic stone to it and in 5 minutes was able to get the ridge out, but the groove is too deep to remove.

Second, was the face of the striker where the trigger cam pushes. It too had tool marks that ran side to side. Taking a flat, ceramic stone to it removed the marks in about 1 minute. I took great care to retain the plane of the face so as not to change the geometry.

Cleaned it all up and reassembled it. It made a huge difference. HUGE.

Thanks again for the info and encouragement.

jeep45238
03-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Glad to hear that you had an improvement!

jbaker
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
thats all that cylinder and slide does and they want to charge $200 to do it. You did a nice job, glad it helped..
ARE YOU SERIOUS. WOW 200.00 i did this on my pm45 in about 1hr or less. just WOW, ILL DO IT FOR 50.00 L.O.L.