PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CM9 Tijicon Night Sights

NEO Hunter
08-20-2012, 07:15 PM
I purchased a set of the Kahr(Tijicon)night sights for my CM9 which I really like. I prefer the 3 dot system which they are and they glow really well. I had my local gunshop/range install them since they had some in stock and that way I didn't have to send my slide back to Kahr(I wasn't comfortable doing the rear sight). I figured since they are a local Law Enforcement dealer and have a good reputation I could trust them. I saved a litte money instaed of sending to Kahr also. I think it was out the door for $100.00. Unfortunatley that was a mistake. They put locktight under the front sight and told me that would be better instead of just following the directions of putting it on the threads for the front sight. For the next few days locktight oozed out of the front sight and got on the white cirlce around the night bulb. I was able to get most of the locktight off with just a cue tip but the cirle on the bottow of the front sight is still red. I took it back to the range when I was there to shoot and I figured they would fix it. All they said was the person who installed it used to much locktight and it will stop oozing eventually but they wouldn't do anything about the now red portion of the bottow of the white cirlce. They wouldn't fix it or give me any advise on how to clean it. Next I contacted Tijicon to see if they would tell me how to possibly clean it without damaging the sight. They relied I could send back to slide to them and they would look at it and fix it possibly for a fee. It isn't the fault of their product so I am sure it will cost me more money.

I was hoping from some advise on how to clean the front sight and get the red from the locktight off of it if that is even possible now. I also don't want to damage it any further. It is usable as it is but it would just be nice for that cirlce around the night bulb to be completely white.Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.

Deano
08-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I installed my own, and accidentally got pink locktite on one of the white circles. It came off easily with a cue tip and water, but now that it's dried, I don't know. I wonder if heating it up with a blow dryer and then a wet cue tip will work. Did you ask the kahr rep what you could try first?

bonjorno2
08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
make the dealer that installed it fix it.... that's it!

NEO Hunter
08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
I hadn't contacted Kahr they were my next thought. I assume they are just going to tell me thats why I should have sent it to them but I think I will give them a try too. Thanks

gb6491
08-20-2012, 10:31 PM
I purchased a set of the Kahr(Tijicon)night sights for my CM9 which I really like. I prefer the 3 dot system which they are and they glow really well. I had my local gunshop/range install them since they had some in stock and that way I didn't have to send my slide back to Kahr(I wasn't comfortable doing the rear sight). I figured since they are a local Law Enforcement dealer and have a good reputation I could trust them. I saved a litte money instaed of sending to Kahr also. I think it was out the door for $100.00. Unfortunatley that was a mistake. They put locktight under the front sight and told me that would be better instead of just following the directions of putting it on the threads for the front sight. For the next few days locktight oozed out of the front sight and got on the white cirlce around the night bulb. I was able to get most of the locktight off with just a cue tip but the cirle on the bottow of the front sight is still red. I took it back to the range when I was there to shoot and I figured they would fix it. All they said was the person who installed it used to much locktight and it will stop oozing eventually but they wouldn't do anything about the now red portion of the bottow of the white cirlce. They wouldn't fix it or give me any advise on how to clean it. Next I contacted Tijicon to see if they would tell me how to possibly clean it without damaging the sight. They relied I could send back to slide to them and they would look at it and fix it possibly for a fee. It isn't the fault of their product so I am sure it will cost me more money.

I was hoping from some advise on how to clean the front sight and get the red from the locktight off of it if that is even possible now. I also don't want to damage it any further. It is usable as it is but it would just be nice for that cirlce around the night bulb to be completely white.Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.
That Loctite oozed out from under the sight for several days suggests to me that the sight's bottom is probably not sitting flush with the top of the slide. IMO, that's a poor install.
The white ring is paint. Keeping that in mind, a small amount of acetone on a Q-tip might clean up the Loctite, but would probably remove some paint as well. I think you best bet is to apply a little white paint over the area affected by the Loctitie. This can be done with a toothpick and a steady hand. if you go this route, use a toothpick to put a little oil/grease on the end of the tritium capsule to help prevent any paint sticking to it. You could do the same to the outside of the sight, but acetone would work to clean up any slop there. Another thought would be to apply some water based white paint to the sight then clean it up with a wet Q-tip and hope enough paint remains behind to cover the Loctite.
Regards,
Greg

muggsy
08-21-2012, 06:03 AM
If you want a job done right you have to do it yourself or send it to Kahr. They stand behind their work.

NEO Hunter
08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I talked with Kahr today and they suggested using some alcohol on a q-tip and if that doesn't work using a small abject to pick some of the locktight off, they just said be gentle or I may scrape some of the paint off.

NEO Hunter
08-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I followed Kahrs advise and used alcohol but I soaked a tooth pick instead of a q-tip and it helped some. Now there is only some red on the bottom of the bulb that glows because I can't really get to that. It is definitely usable so I will just see how much it bothers me, but I am kinda OCD so I may end up replacing the front site if it drives me crazy. Thanks to those who gave advise.