PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Visit

nmkahrshooter
08-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Went to doctor complaining of shoulder pain. Doc wanted MRI so I went to place to have it done. They told me they were going to do left side but I told them right side was the problem. Needless to say they did left side and when I went back to doc he was all confused. So he wants right side done now and I don't want to do another one. All I want is a shot to relieve the pain. Its not like I want him to operate on me!!! Can't even think of being put under and him operating on the wrong side!! What do you all think?

7shot
08-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Get the right side done and tell him you want a freebie...:rolleyes:

TucsonMTB
08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Did you forget where you parked your car at the facility that offered the MRI?

I mean, really . . . you let them do the wrong side? Why? :rolleyes:

Planedude
08-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I have had six MRIs this year, I know what you mean. Agreed though, why let them do it wrong? I reviewed my testing orders with the tech doing one of my MRIs this year and the order was wrong. I simply convenced her to call it in and she found the error.
My problem was the HMO's technocrat that spent weeks stopping the one test that finally found the problem...
Good luck on the problem, I feel your pain.

dkmatthews
08-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Considering how my HMO plan screws me on lab procedures, I would NEVER let a lab perform an unnecessary procedure.

downtownv
08-23-2012, 03:05 AM
Heres how HMO's work if you didn't know..... The seller pays $X amount per member, per month, regardless of whether that member uses any part of the plan or not. The HMO objective is to get more money in than spending per month. I.E. delay procedures, deny procedures and deny equipment needs like beds wheelchairs etc. Send everything to "Review Committees" and hope the patient dies before having to approve those items! The Top Dawgs walk with multimillion dollar paychecks the "Patient" gets screwed over! I work as a Nat'l sales Manager for a Very large public Medical equipment manufacture, I know the HMO/Managed Care game inside out and backwards! The providers that participate get paid zulch and they certainly lose interest in these patients (Think stupid mistakes)
They lure people into these plans with "Free eyeglasses and prescriptions" (But limit which ones) as bait NEVER NEVER join one of these in leu of Medicare! They promise the world and deliver squat! Like freedom it isn't Free.
Please pass this on to your loved ones....

espresso
08-23-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm an MRI tech and I can tell you that if they scanned the wrong shoulder that's totally BS!

This is how it's supposed to work:

Tech is to look at MRI orders then talk with the Pt to find out whats going on, where they are hurting.

If the two don't match up they are to call Dr. office to find out what they want to do.

If you can't get anyone at Dr. office they should give the pt the option to just reschedule once it's straightened out.

It's true the tech can only do the body part that's ordered, but they shouldn't just scan what's ordered if it's wrong.

If you raise enough hell they will credit you for doing the first scan if you get the correct shoulder done.

Your Dr prob doesn't want to inject your shoulder until he get's the MRI.

JFootin
08-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Heres how HMO's work if you didn't know..... The seller pays $X amount per member, per month, regardless of whether that member uses any part of the plan or not. The HMO objective is to get more money in than spending per month. I.E. delay procedures, deny procedures and deny equipment needs like beds wheelchairs etc. Send everything to "Review Committees" and hope the patient dies before having to approve those items! The Top Dawgs walk with multimillion dollar paychecks the "Patient" gets screwed over! I work as a Nat'l sales Manager for a Very large public Medical equipment manufacture, I know the HMO/Managed Care game inside out and backwards! The providers that participate get paid zulch and they certainly lose interest in these patients (Think stupid mistakes)
They lure people into these plans with "Free eyeglasses and prescriptions" (But limit which ones) as bait NEVER NEVER join one of these in leu of Medicare! They promise the world and deliver squat! Like freedom it isn't Free.

You're 100% right! I know because of an undiagnosed first heart attack, when I pointed out family history of heart disease, the fact that I smoked, had high blood pressure and classic symptoms, yet they refused to test me and see what was going on! :mad:

I've had 2 more heart attacks since then that might have been prevented with proper care back then and ongoing management of my health.

I think any doctor who would work for an HMO should not be allowed to practice medicine any longer because they clearly violate ther Hypocratic oaths on a daily basis! :32:

yqtszhj
08-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Sounds like the British, Canadian, an Future "OBAMACARE" system. :eek:

nmkahrshooter
08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I did tell tech they were doing wrong side but was told they had order from doctor and doc is NEVER wrong!! Well guess what, HE WAS. When doc office called today to inquire why I have not done another MRI, I told them I no longer needed his services. Will have to find another doctor. By the way this isn't some cheap health ins this is government Tricare for retired military!! Can't wait for the rest of the country to experience what us retirees do, a lousey system with nobody caring. Welcome to the NEW WORLD!

HDoc
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
. By the way this isn't some cheap health ins this is government Tricare for retired military!! !

Got news for you, Tricare IS a cheap insurance system. The reason Doc's
like it is 1) they get paid faster and 2) they respect your service.
I NEVER tell my providers I have Tricare in order to use my other retiree
insurance. Ya get what you pay for.

TheTman
08-23-2012, 07:00 PM
sorry to here you are having trouble with your Doc. hope they can figure out what is wrong and it's nothing serious. i had to have some cortisone shots in my shoulder and went to phsical therapy for it. my therpist said it was what they called a "frozen shoulder" and would worrk itself out in 12-18 months, and it did. Good luck, hope they get you fixed up.

mightymouse
08-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Early forties, I was in for therapy with a bunch of students. The big poobah wanted to use me as a model for his students. Diagnosed me with the primary source of discomfort, a major kyphosis in the lower middle of my back.
No, dude, its way up here below my neck. Had the hardest time convincing them (him) that that didn't bother me, and never did, it was just below neck, couldn't even turn my neck a few degrees.
After it was over he told me he was sure I was dropped as an infant. My ma denied everything. I think she meant to put me on my head.

nmkahrshooter
08-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah will have to start over with new doctor. Really don't mind except it will be 2 months to see new guy after I get authorization. Can't understand why everything takes so long these days. It's already been 3 months! Thats what I get for trusting in the military medical system.

AIRret
08-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Find a good VA! The closest VA to me is in Detroit, but I would't go there even if my head was cut off. Instead I/we drive one hour and forty min (in good weather) to Ann Arbor. It's a real hospital and I get excellent care.
True it's a long drive, but it beats the alternative.

Cornhusker
08-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Sorry to hear you're having so many problems with medical care and the delays you're experiencing with new Dr's. I'm also retired military on Tricare and Medicare. I've never experienced any of the problems you mention and have always received timely attention and care. I'll be 75 in a couple of month's, so I've been there, done that. I hope your problem gets taken care of soon.

johnh
08-24-2012, 11:02 AM
I had pretty much the same thing happen. When I pointed out to the doctor that they missed a joint by scanning the opposite one, he said "well it is probably okay anyway"..

:(

Our medical system is a joke. Much like Congress...