PDA

View Full Version : K9 New vs Old Sight Change Question

K9_Two_Tone
08-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I purchased a LaserLyte that only fits newer style Kahr sight dovetails. I really like my older K9, and would like to get a companion K9 with the newer sight dovetails. That way I can utilize the LaserLyte. Does anyone know what K9 serial numbers the newer sight dovetails started with?

FYI. I've tried Crimson Trace's Kahr lasergrips, but would prefer using a laser with Kahr stock grips.

Thank you in advance.

7shot
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Wow, I didn't know thier was a difference. I suppose you could compare if nobody knows. But with the knowledgable people on this board I find it hard that someone won't be able to answer your question.

Bawanna
08-26-2012, 09:00 PM
It's late on a Sunday but someone will be along. I don't have a good answer for you. A call or an email to Kahr would get you a solid answer.

I'm not certain but I think the new style is a larger dovetail. It might just be possible to have yours recut to fit the laserlyte's.

If this messes up your opportunity to get a new gun, forget I mentioned it. If the missus calls me about this I'll claim no knowledge of such things.

TucsonMTB
08-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know what K9 serial numbers the newer sight dovetails started with?Not sure that even Kahr will be able to tell you for sure.

But, you may have noticed that on the Kahr website they describe the "small machined dimple" they added to the slides as a marker when they changed to the newer dovetails.

http://kahr.shopvisible.com/images/newslidestyle.jpg

FLBri
08-27-2012, 06:58 AM
unfortunately, it is the other way around. The old style is a larger dovetail so re-cutting is not possible. It would be pricey, but you could call Kahr and see if a new slide would accept all the parts from your old one ... or exactly what parts would need to be replaced. I'm pretty sure the barrel is ok and that would be the most expensive component other than the slide itself.

Be sure and let us know how it turns out for you, and what you resolve.

jocko
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
look for the dimple, that is the real proff in the puddin,

K9_Two_Tone
08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Thank you for your replies. I am aware of the dimple on the underside of the receiver.

I wanted to know because I'm planning to purchase my second K9 through an on-line dealer. Some sellers are reluctant to disassemble K9's to look for a dimple and/or cannot readily identify the difference between the two rear sight models by simply looking at them. I would like just give them a serial number to use.

I sent an e-mail question to Kahr. I will let you know what they say. Thank you again.

FLBri
08-27-2012, 09:46 AM
If this is a Gun dealer, and they are reluctant to remove a slide stop pin to look under a slide ... I would have to question what kind of inspection they have made of the gun in the first place. They would have to do at least this much to even represent how clean it is.

For your sake, I hope it's a killer price, because I think their reluctance would tell me to look for another gun dealer.

Sorry to rain on your parade .. but ... "just sayin"

TucsonMTB
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
If this is a Gun dealer, and they are reluctant to remove a slide stop pin to look under a slide ... I would have to question what kind of inspection they have made of the gun in the first place. They would have to do at least this much to even represent how clean it is.

For your sake, I hope it's a killer price, because I think their reluctance would tell me to look for another gun dealer.

Sorry to rain on your parade .. but ... "just sayin"
And to add to Jocko's words of wisdom . . . at least on my PM40, you can see the dimple just by locking back the slide and shining a flashlight onto the bottom of the slide from the back of the gun.

Hopefully, even a reluctant dealer can lock back the slide to take a look. :rolleyes:

K9_Two_Tone
08-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Here is Kahr's response to my serial number question

There should be no need to remove the slide, simply lock the slide to the
rear and look at the under side of the slide. If you are looking to buy a
new firearm it has been some time since we changed the dovetail but we do
not have codified serial numbers we do not have ranges or serial number
with new or old style sights.

Have a good day from Kahr.

Eoin Pryal.
Kahr Arms.