PDA

View Full Version : S&w m&p .22

getsome
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
I currently have a M&P .40 cal full size and wanted a .22 to practice with...I found a S&W .22 for $389.00 out the door which I think is an ok but not great price but I want a gun with a similar feel to my .40...

Does anyone have one of these and if so how do you like it? I love my M&P .40 and it has never had any sort of problem or hickup at all so I hope the .22 version will also be trouble free even with bulk pack Walmart ammo...

The shop also has a Walther P-22 for the same price so thats an option too...I see from Scoundrel's post that everyone seems to like the Walther but again I really love how the Smith feels in my hand and like the idea of being able to practice with a pistol with the same feel as my .40 but for less money...

What do you folks think of the M&P .22 and should I try and find one for less money?...As always thanks to all...:yo:

gb6491
08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't have one, but have shot one quite a bit. It was reliable with everything I fed it (not one issue) and decently accurate. IMO, it makes a fine plinker that would have many of the attributes of your .40.
We have a P22 that my wife shoots quite a bit. It's a nice smaller sized gun and I'm glad she enjoys it. That said, if I were looking for a plinker and had to choose between the two, I'd go with the M&P.
Regards,
Greg

JFootin
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I have been shopping for a 22 plinker for a long time. Got turned off on the Ruger SR22 because of the lousy trigger, but wanted something similar to my SD pistols in carry and takedown. Checked out the Walther and a few others. Then, just the other day I checked out and dry fired a M&P 22 and I was impressed with the feel of the gun, the trigger, the size, the sight radius and the sights. Add that it is made in the USA by an all American company, and my decision is easy. Later, I may get one in 9mm and/or 45acp, so the similarity in platform while training with cheap 22 ammo will be a plus.

Edit: Greg gave me a heads up that they are made for S&W by Umarex\Walther in Germany.

nmkahrshooter
08-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Get The M&P. Its a great gun and you can't go wrong.

Longitude Zero
09-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Edit: Greg gave me a heads up that they are made for S&W by Umarex\Walther in Germany.

Yes they are.

I have a SIG P226 22LR with the 9mm X-Change. Having one receriver pull double duty is very nice and IMHO the ONLY WAY TO GO.

JFootin
09-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes they are.

I have a SIG P226 22LR with the 9mm X-Change. Having one receriver pull double duty is very nice and IMHO the ONLY WAY TO GO.

How much $? :emptybath:

Longitude Zero
09-01-2012, 01:59 PM
How much $? :emptybath:

The P226 22 LR was $515 and the 9mm kit was $356 for a total of $871. Tax on the P226 added another $20 or so. If you are going to do the multi caliber thing get the 22 first as it is over $350 cheaper to start with a rimfire and go to the centerfire than to start with a centerfire and get the rimfire conversion.

The only small caveat is on the rimfire use the hottest speed possible. I use CCI Stingers.

To get the P226 first is $889 + $276 for the rimfire conversion. $1165 plus local tax.

JFootin
09-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks! :)

NoSpdLmts
09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I have one and love it. Great practice gun which helps with my M&P 40, 45, and 9c.

D.

getsome
09-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Range report....I picked up a M&P .22 last Saturday for $369.00 which included a 500 round box of American Eagle by Federal plated HP bullets...Took it to the range with my son last night and tried it out...

I tried my best to make it choke but we shot about 450 rounds of everything I could think of to put through it which included some moldy green stuff of unknown manufacture which was left over from an Appleseed shoot we went to 3 years ago in a weekend rainstorm...

The pistol fired everything without a single issue and was pretty accurate as well...It is a made in Germany Walther pistol but it looks and weighs the same as my S&W made full size M&P .40 so I hope this will help with training for it's big brother...The trigger is pretty good and should only get better with use as did my .40 pistol...

It has adjustable rear sights for windage and elevation and the only complaint I have is the rear sight doesn't have the two dot design I am use to and only has a white dot on the front sight but that is only a minor issue...

The gun is a snap to take apart and can be done in less than 15 seconds unlike the Ruger Mark III I had several years ago that required 3 hands, a 5 lb sledge and a come-along to get apart...

All in all I'm very happy with the pistol and in a 1-10 rating with 10 being perfect I would give it a 9.8

If you are in the market for an inexpensive .22 plinking pistol that isn't ammo sensitive and comes ready to install a suppressor if you are so inclined then give the S&W M&P .22 a look....

JFootin
09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Range report....I picked up a M&P .22 last Saturday for $369.00 which included a 500 round box of American Eagle by Federal plated HP bullets...Took it to the range with my son last night and tried it out...

I tried my best to make it choke but we shot about 450 rounds of everything I could think of to put through it which included some moldy green stuff of unknown manufacture which was left over from an Appleseed shoot we went to 3 years ago in a weekend rainstorm...

The pistol fired everything without a single issue and was pretty accurate as well...It is a made in Germany Walther pistol but it looks and weighs the same as my S&W made full size M&P .40 so I hope this will help with training for it's big brother...The trigger is pretty good and should only get better with use as did my .40 pistol...

It has adjustable rear sights for windage and elevation and the only complaint I have is the rear sight doesn't have the two dot design I am use to and only has a white dot on the front sight but that is only a minor issue...

The gun is a snap to take apart and can be done in less than 15 seconds unlike the Ruger Mark III I had several years ago that required 3 hands, a 5 lb sledge and a come-along to get apart...

All in all I'm very happy with the pistol and in a 1-10 rating with 10 being perfect I would give it a 9.8

If you are in the market for an inexpensive .22 plinking pistol that isn't ammo sensitive and comes ready to install a suppressor if you are so inclined then give the S&W M&P .22 a look....

Well, getsome, you sold me! I had about decided the M&P 22 is what I want for a 22 plinker. This seals the deal for me! :D I had handled and dry fired one at a LGS recently and really liked it: the heft and balance, the grip, the sights, the trigger, the easy to rack slide, the 12 round capacity and the ultra easy take-down. With Walther manufacturing it and S&W warranting it, I'm good to go!

air8
09-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Having a blast with my M&P22. It does everything just like a fullsize M&P should. Weight, feel, trigger. It's all good. I painted the rear sight insert to match my Kahr CW9 and trimmed off the thumb safety levers...only cause the safety bar must remain in place for proper operation.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l518/fordsinair/IMAG1373.jpg
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l518/fordsinair/IMAG1372.jpg
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l518/fordsinair/IMAG1369.jpg
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l518/fordsinair/IMAG1371.jpg

jocko
09-07-2012, 02:43 PM
nice looking little semi, nice training gun also for the big MP. what do they sell for??

air8
09-10-2012, 07:37 AM
The Davidson's my LGS goes through has them on sale at $340. Normally $400ish.

warbird1
09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
$399.00 before any negotiating at my LGS. They normally come down about $20 or so.