PDA

View Full Version : Storing your CM/PM9

c6vetter
08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
folks after a day (or two, or three, ...) of concealed carry with one in the pipe and mag loaded with 6 more, how do you store in your gun vault/safe?

Do you drop the mag, pull the slide and remove all rounds/dry fire ... or

do you leave everything ready to fire for the next day (or two, or three, ...)???

PYROhafe
08-31-2012, 06:29 PM
mine goes from me to next to the bed so it always has one in the pipe....it only comes out to switch to range ammo, or clean it... dont know if others that put it in the safe at night might have a different opinion

white cloud
08-31-2012, 06:32 PM
my cm9 is my edc. it never goes to the gun safe. imho edc guns need to be handy not in the safe. at night i put it on the night stand. during the day i carry it in a pj iwb holster which has a sweat shield. in s.c. summers sweat is a REALLY big problem but the pj keeps the sweat off the gun. i had him cover the mag release for that reason. i leave mine loaded all the time with 6+1. if i am pig hunting i put it in a pocket of my backpack. every three or four days i wipe the gun down and re-holster. i have had no issues with reliability or rust.

jocko
08-31-2012, 07:05 PM
can't remember the last time my PM9 ever set around UNLOADED. Its really not a gun then as u well know..

Giraffes
08-31-2012, 08:48 PM
I just ordered a CM9 yesterday, but I never leave my current EDC (Rohrbaugh R9) unloaded. It's either on me or in my nightstand with my HD pistol. I try not to chamber and unchamber my SD rounds too often. I don't know how much validity there is to the stories you hear of bullet setback after chambering a particular round several times, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Once I've chambered a bullet 4 times it goes in a box with my range ammo. When I break in my new CM9 and start rotating my carry pistols, I'll store it in the safe unloaded when it is not being used.

bonjorno2
08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
always loaded in a sturdy kydex holster!

wyattninek
08-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Always loaded with one in the chamber and full mag, same with a couple of my other pistols for home protection.

JimC
09-01-2012, 03:21 AM
My PM9 is my EDC gun. It is never unloaded except for cleaning.
It is either on my person on in the night stand next to my bed.

CrabbyAzz
09-01-2012, 06:26 AM
No children in the house so it's always either on me or next to the nightstand. Always one in the pipe.

CJB
09-01-2012, 06:30 AM
If its in my pocket, its loaded, ready to fire.
If its out of my pocket, its unloaded, slide open, magazine out.

Thats it. Once its out of my pocket... changin' breeks, goin' to sleep, whatever... its unloaded.

I do keep a Kahr - chamber empty, magazine in - under my pillow at night. I don't trust myself to not pull the trigger in my sleep!~ Perhaps bad thinking, but I think in "my situation" if I need it, I'll have time to rack the slide. Your situation is no doubt different from mine in terms of tactical advantage.

PYROhafe
09-01-2012, 08:51 AM
I do keep a Kahr - chamber empty, magazine in - under my pillow at night. I don't trust myself to not pull the trigger in my sleep!~ Perhaps bad thinking, but I think in "my situation" if I need it, I'll have time to rack the slide. Your situation is no doubt different from mine in terms of tactical advantage.

Under the pillow? really? whats wrong with next to the bed on a night stand or some sort of bedside rig? I mean I know you had that break in thing not too long ago.... is that part of it?

TonyT
09-01-2012, 06:15 PM
folks after a day (or two, or three, ...) of concealed carry with one in the pipe and mag loaded with 6 more, how do you store in your gun vault/safe?

Do you drop the mag, pull the slide and remove all rounds/dry fire ... or

do you leave everything ready to fire for the next day (or two, or three, ...)???
The only time my PM-9 is empty is when it is being cleaned after a range session. I store it loaded in my pocket holster.\ either in a suit or in my desk.

jocko
09-01-2012, 06:28 PM
amen to that..

otium
09-01-2012, 06:46 PM
The EDC(s) generally stay loaded, but they get relieved for the night shift by a hi-cap .40 with night sights.

MikeG
09-01-2012, 07:14 PM
My kahr in a safe? Don't see it happening anytime soon. If, however unlikely, it were to happen, it would be: slide closed on an orange chamber flag, mags empty. Just like the current tenants that live there. If you gotta take something out of the vault anyway, loading up is no big deal. And for the comment about bullet setback, i've never measured it for myself, but two trips into the chamber is all I allow before a round goes into the range box. I've got plenty more and why take the chance.

Oh, but if theoretically you had to vault it at night because of kids or nosy houseguests or whatever, and you were gonna keep carrying every day, why bother unloading? Your key/combo is secure, right?

wyntrout
09-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I have 10 pistols... including 6 Kahrs... and the only pistol in my safe is my Springfield Champion... unloaded. My P380, PM9, K9, P40, and PM45 are always loaded, as is my XD45 Tactical and two .22 pistols. I don't keep the wife's P380 loaded and it's awaiting a magazine catch, anyhow. My PM9 is currently unloaded because it is awaiting a replacement extractor that departed for places unknown at my last range session. My Kahr defense and carry pistols are always loaded and kept in some kind of holster... soft Uncle Mike types for lying about pre-positioned or Crossbreed Kydex/leather Minitucks for carry. I don't worry about magazine springs... today's springs are designed to last virtually forever in the loaded condition and I have spare springs if I detect any problems. I usually start a shooting session with my carry magazines and the actual ammo loaded for carry. This helps keep fresh ammo in my EDC's.

I have no semi-autos with magazine disconnects and if there are any safeties they are off. I want my weapons to fire when I pull the trigger, so all have rounds in the chamber.

I made a point of buying a bookcase headboard bed so that my wife and I each can keep a loaded gun in the cabinet behind our head. An under the pillow pistol is just too dangerous and likely to wind up on the floor and out of reach when needed!

I will put my pistols in the safe for trips and I have a locking wall-mounted rack/shelf for my shotgun, .22 rifle, and pellet rifle.

Our children are grown and I've never had any children in this house in the 15 years we've lived here. Any rare guests are told about all weapons being loaded and ready to fire if they happen across any. My buddy and all of my family that visit are very familiar with firearms. So I have no worries about them.

Wynn:)