PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Tried Winchester PDX1 9MM?

xzhync
03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Just curious if anyone has used this self defense ammo. I tried a box last week and was pretty impressed. I went to the range to try out some new Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo. While there, I asked if they had any new SD ammo and the salesman recommended the Winchester. I bought a box and ended up liking it quite a bit more. I was a bit disappointed with the Gold Dot. I expected a reduced kick from that of the standard Gold Dot 124gr +P, but I found it to be the same. The Winchester PDX1 rounds gave noticably less kick for very similar specs. It is also a 124 gr. +P. The fps and energy ratings are pretty much in line with the Gold Dot. I also found the accuracy to pretty darn good.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions.

smithnsig
03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I like Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr. It is soft shooting, and accurate with all my 9mm guns. The PDX-1 will supposedly be the new Ranger Bonded when they make the transition.

It will be the same stuff, but about half the price.

Dinger
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I got a box of the PDX1 in 124 gr. Out of my PM9 it clocked at about 1099 fps., if memory serves me. I checked it for P.O.I. and it's right on at say 15 yards or closer. I believe it's a little low @ 25. I didn't shoot very many as I only have 20 rounds. I'm finding that there's approx. 100 fps loss between my M&P 9mm & the PM9. The 124 gr. is the heaviest I care to go. I have to question the ability of a 147 grainer doing anything but penetrating and I question how well it'll do that out of a 3" barrel.

jocko
03-24-2010, 05:16 AM
can't find that ammo anywhere around my area. Even rip off gander mt doesn't carry it. Oh did I say Rip off GM. sorry about that, I meant "king of the vasoline" users

To save time when I go to my proctologists, for my annual exam, I stop by Gander Mt. and buy a box of ammo, that way when I get to the doctors office for the exam, I have already been properly LUBED. saves tme and money. The doctor always mentions to,, " Oh I see yo have been to Gander Mountain"..!!!

Dinger
03-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Jocko- You're right about G.M. prices....lube job is an understatement.
I gave $20.99 for a box of 20 of the PDX1. Not cheap by any means, but IF it works and saves my sorry butt, it's worth it. Keyword here is "IF". But then again, I agree with Allen Jones who said it's not how big it is, it's where you put it. And don't run with that statement. It refers to caliber bullet.

Dinger
03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Just curious if anyone has used this self defense ammo. I tried a box last week and was pretty impressed. I went to the range to try out some new Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo. While there, I asked if they had any new SD ammo and the salesman recommended the Winchester. I bought a box and ended up liking it quite a bit more. I was a bit disappointed with the Gold Dot. I expected a reduced kick from that of the standard Gold Dot 124gr +P, but I found it to be the same. The Winchester PDX1 rounds gave noticably less kick for very similar specs. It is also a 124 gr. +P. The fps and energy ratings are pretty much in line with the Gold Dot. I also found the accuracy to pretty darn good.

I would be interested in hearing other opinions.

Did you chronograph the Gold Dot ammo? Barrel length? Would be interested in hearing what you came up with. I don't care about the recoil, I'm interested in speed.

PETE14
03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
I think I say this round advertised as the round the FBI uses.

Dinger
03-24-2010, 07:15 AM
I believe you're right- the FBI did pick this ammo up.

wyntrout
03-24-2010, 07:13 PM
$20.99 for a box of 20 SD ammo these days is a very good deal! There's very little that cheap online or locally -- prices are north of $30 and closer to $40 or more for some, especially .45 ACP. The prices at gun shows are really high.
I've been looking for sub-$40 boxes of 50 online and have seen some good deals. I still have ammo like that I paid $10 to $12 online or at a show -- the best deal being the 25 round per box Remington GS ammo. The order I'm receiving shortly was for bonded 230-gr Golden Sabers at $34.54 a box of 50. I have the regular GS, but the bonded is supposed to be better for penetration and barriers as the jacket and lead doesn't separate. I don't expect any difference in recoil or ballistics with that over the non-bonded.
As for the 9mm, I'm using both the Double Tap GD 124-gr +P and the Speer GD 124-gr Short Barrel +P. Those two are comparable in recoil and the Speer less "flashy," though both are "low flash."
Wynn

Bawanna
03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
can't find that ammo anywhere around my area. Even rip off gander mt doesn't carry it. Oh did I say Rip off GM. sorry about that, I meant "king of the vasoline" users

To save time when I go to my proctologists, for my annual exam, I stop by Gander Mt. and buy a box of ammo, that way when I get to the doctors office for the exam, I have already been properly LUBED. saves tme and money. The doctor always mentions to,, " Oh I see yo have been to Gander Mountain"..!!!

And no kiss either I bet. Those thieven pirates.

Dinger
03-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I'll be going back up to the store where I bought the last box of PDX1 ammo they had. Hopefully they'll have more in stock. I stopped at a local shop and he said the only 9mm ammo available from his distributor was the Golden Saber @ $50 a box. I draw the line @ $25 for 20 rounds. I can reload good defensive ammo alot cheaper. I've been doing it for 40+ years. Only reason I go with factory stuff for defense is Leagalities and perhaps a bit more reliability.