PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection

johnatw
03-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I wear hearing aids and they are not a problem on the shooting range with ear muffs. But when skeet shooting the muffs get in the way. I have seen some hearing protectors that are electronic that fit in the ear canal and block the noise from gunshots while allowing normal speech to be heard. Does anyone have an opinion on these and can the volume be adjusted to compensate for hearing impaired folks?

deadhead1971
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
This is a good topic. If I were to shoot in self-defense indoors, inside my house, with a 9mm I would probably have hearing loss or damage. It's only happened once by accident outdoors with a .380 (forgot to put my plugs back in). I had tinnitus for a day, and it sounded like a metal nail being hammered in my ear with a high pitched "ping" when the gun went off. I can only immagine that a 9mm would be worse outdoors and awful indoors.

What do LEOs do?

jeep45238
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Are you running full size muffs, or thin muffs? I've found thin muffs (such as these Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 23dB) Green - MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=774928) ) do not get in the way when shooting rifle or trap. I don't wear hearing aids, but I do know they can make ambient noises louder, about twice as loud. I'd guess if it helps would depend on how bad your hearing is right now.

Deadhead: I've permanently got tinnitus, have since I was a kid. The body under stress will block out the high noises, you'll find you will be able to have a conversation right afterward. However, that's all mental, the physical damage will occur, even if you don't hear it.

I'd rather deal with further hearing damage than be dead.

Bawanna
03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm in the same rowboat. I'm deaf in my right ear and barely able to hear out of my left. NOT from shooting. Although it's the same type of loss. I also have tenitis in both which sometimes can drive you batty. I have the same issue while trap shooting. I've thought about just rigging up just a muff for my left with my amplified protectors and just a plug on my right. Other wise I'm totally out of contact with the noisey world which isn't always bad. In my dept I work with 12 woman, I'm the only male. Trust me, volume control and even the off switch is a wonderful thing. 40 cops and I have to hang with the girls which wouldn't be so bad either cept there's not eye candy here. Apologies in advance to Ms Zena and MX5, your way above the species I work with.
Most hearing aids now days shut down and block noise above a certain decibal level. I know mine does, even a loud truck going by and the world goes quiet. I don't take chances with what little I have left.

jocko
03-08-2010, 02:36 PM
lost most of my hearing in my younger days. We never knew what hearing muffs or protectors were back in the 60's let alone we felt so fu--ing macho by not wearing them, . When I went through Military basic training back in the 60's, also the army didn't know or use any hearing protectors back then either. So my left ear is shot to hell (left hand shooter) and my right ear is so so but with a hearing aid, I do pretty well.

I never leave home for the range without hearing protectors EVER. course most of the damage is now done to. I would hate to think what a 9mm would sound like being shot in a home in a defense situation..

Bawanna
03-08-2010, 02:42 PM
lost most of my hearing in my younger days. We never knew what hearing muffs or protectors were back in the 60's let alone we felt so fu--ing macho by not wearing them, . When I went through Military basic training back in the 60's, also the army didn't know or use any hearing protectors back then either. So my left ear is shot to hell (left hand shooter) and my right ear is so so but with a hearing aid, I do pretty well.

I never leave home for the range without hearing protectors EVER. course most of the damage is now done to. I would hate to think what a 9mm would sound like being shot in a home in a defense situation..

I dont think you'd even hear it. The damage to your hearing would be done but you wouldn't even recall hearing the shot. Just something your body shuts out. Tunnel vision, fine motor control, everything is out the window. Somebody mentioned this before, don't want to take credit for their earlier contribution.

johnatw
03-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Mike F.
Thanks for the link, I use Midway all the time. My hearing is really bad, a result of missile sites and jet engines in the Air Force. The V A refuses to help, so I rely on hearing aids that may not be the best for my condition.
I use hearing protection when shooting, and really feel sorry for the kids that turn the volume up on the car radios etc. When they go deaf they will regret their actions.

Bawanna
03-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Play now, pay later, and pay and pay and pay, thats for sure.

getsome
03-09-2010, 10:09 AM
What? What? I'm sorry What did you say?....My wife yells at me all the time to get a freakin hearing aid and I may have to soon...Too many rock concerts and shooting without ear plugs when I was younger....Last Sunday I went to the Atlanta NASCAR race and couldn't get over how many little kids and even babies were there that had no hearing protection at all...Last fall I took my son the the NHRA drag races and it was the same there too...When 2 funny cars take off together the noise is incredible even with protection....:eek:

Bawanna
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
What? What? I'm sorry What did you say?....My wife yells at me all the time to get a freakin hearing aid and I may have to soon...Too many rock concerts and shooting without ear plugs when I was younger....Last Sunday I went to the Atlanta NASCAR race and couldn't get over how many little kids and even babies were there that had no hearing protection at all...Last fall I took my son the the NHRA drag races and it was the same there too...When 2 funny cars take off together the noise is incredible even with protection....:eek:

I think drag racing help my hearing demise. Just for the record when I first visited the ear doctors, the first thing they asked was can you not hear everyone or you just can't hear your wife? Apparently theres some sort of mental block the body produces. I guess it prevents nagging.
You should bite the bullet and get the hearing machine. It's a whole new world. I never knew the button on a micro wave beep when you push em. Or that it makes a obnoxious noise when your food is done. I got the most powerful machine they make, I'm incomunicado without it. Hope to go a few more years before the lights go out.:)

Bawanna
03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I have to take my son with me to gunshows and stuff. When I'm haggling over stuff it gets pretty funny. Would ya take 200? Ok how about 225, kid smacks me in the head, he said he'd take the 200! Ok would you take 175? Ok how about 180, cuff in the head, he said he'd take the 175! Dang it I dont want it anyhow let go........................:mad: