PDA

View Full Version : Range test of replacement parts in my Kahrs

wyntrout
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I finally got to the range yesterday to test the replacement parts for my wife's P380(magazine catch) and my PM9(extractor). While I had them apart I put Wolff’s 5-lb striker springs in both. I did notice a lighter trigger pull and had no problems with either pistol this trip. I didn’t put the rest of the new extractor train parts that Jay sent in the PM9. I had second thoughts about that, but pressed on. I’ll put those in when I clean the pistol, since that could have been part of the reason that the extractor flew out.

I loaded up all of my magazines for each pistol before leaving home... 7x6-round and 3x7-round for the P380... and that doesn't include my one each size for carry with MY P380. I used S&B 92-gr FMJ.

I noticed on the new P380 magazine catch that Kahr had added a "scallop" to the magazine catch shelf to cut down on interference with the follower, I think. I did that with my P380 back in April 2010 when trying to work out the problems it was having. I was very careful to NOT touch the ledge and Kahr's modification does take away from the ledge as well. It worked well yesterday. All of the P380 shooting was malfunction free, except for ONE instance of premature slide lock back on round#2 of a 6-round mag.

The new catch is on the right and the somewhat mangled old one on the left. I tried to use a small stone... couldn't find my danged small set of diamond files... to remove the rolled over edge... unusable.

The orange-handled set of picks is cheap and very useful with the Kahrs. The bent picks are really good for manipulating the magazine catch spring. The right-angled one kept the spring up and out of the way for removal and insertion of the new one, by itself. I've seen those things priced from 99 ¢ to $3 or $4 a set. I've seen it as the free choice, too.

Targets... just a few... starting the session... the new magazine catch... the picks... the first 3x6-rd mags at 7 yards(18 rounds of S&B FMJ with all in the proximity of the bull) and 7 round of Buffalo Bore 95-gr FN FMJ at 15 yards:

wyntrout
09-13-2012, 10:45 AM
At 7 yards, the hits are all around the bull and at 15 yards most were low, but vertically "centered".

And a few more targets. I had to really work to get these printed up before leaving... with my PC problems. I had wanted to say that I was going to the range, but I couldn't get the XP or the Ubuntu machines to run Firefox without freezing on the former or crashing on the latter.

Wynn:)

wyntrout
09-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I had a hodge-podge of 9mm mags for the PM9... K9 7-rounders, 6-rd flush, and 8-rd extended-grip mags. I used Craig 124-gr FMJ Reloads, including the 7 that I experienced a little setback with in testing the extractor. I ran those 7 rounds through the pistol four times and noticed a bit of setback on several. I fired these single-handed after donning a Kevlar reinforced work glove. I videoed that and had no noticeable difference in recoil or flash... "Kind of" disappointing. :D
The PM9 was sweet... trigger pull a little smoother and a joy to shoot, as usual. I could really tell the difference when I shot some Speer Gold Dots... 124-Gr +P, Regular and Short Barrel.

Targets... first magazine was pretty good for fast shooting. Second picture adds magazine 2. Upper left circle with 10 rounds of my defense ammo Speer 124-gr +P Gold Dots... with lots through the same holes. I didn't miss the target, so there was another through one of those holes. Then playing around a bit with faster shooting at the other circles. if I'm shooting low, I'll try to cover the target by pointing and correct as I fire, while trying to control trigger pull... and jerking, of course!:rolleyes:
Then 3X6 or 18 rounds at 15 yards... firing at the blob.

wyntrout
09-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I did fire 2x5-rds for 10 at 7 yards with my left hand. I loaded the magazine into the pistol and did everything left handed... then tried supporting with my right hand... all UN-natural! One round hit the upper right piece of tape but most were somewhere near the target, using my right eye and trying to keep my arm straight, leaning my head to the left a bit to line up the target and sights... un-naturally.

I shot over 50 Craig 124-gr FMJ and 50 Champion Federal 115-gr FMJ, but didn't differentiate that much on labeling the targets.

wyntrout
09-13-2012, 11:33 AM
For the P40 I had 2x6-rd flush-metal based mags(with O-rings to stop pinches) and 4x7-rd extended-grip mags. This was my carry for the day and I left a loaded 6-rounder in the van. My 7-round carry reload was one of the ones that I used at the range this trip. I used one box of Herter's 180-gr FMJ... brass-cased and made in Ozark, MO, for most of the shooting, with 165-gr Speer Gold Dots after the FMJ. That definitely has a sharper recoil, even with the Mag-na-porting.

When I got to the Gold Dots for the P40, I had NO slide LOCK BACKS on empty magazine. I tried two rounds of GD's per mag and 1 per mag with only ONE lock back. I did check that the spring was working on the slide lock. I think that it had worked loose enough that the slide lock wasn't working properly. I didn't have my Torx screwdrivers with me and couldn't properly tighten the spring's retaining screw. That will take more testing. i think that the slide lock is un-altered and I had to replace all of my .40 magazines' followers because of the light sanding that I did on them... to the point of unreliable slide lock-back on empty magazine.

I DID take extra defense ammo in case I had to switch pistols, so I loaded my PM9 with its Speer 124-gr +P Gold Dots, Short-barrel version, for carry the rest of my outing and shopping. I had to tighten the Kydex magazine holder a bit, but that was no problem. After the PM9’s extractor departed on the last range trip… while the PM9 was my carry for the day, I have started making sure that I carry extra defense ammo so I can switch pistols, IF I encounter problems again.

One thing new... I tried the lower video setting 640x480 at 30 fps and didn't like that at all. The video and sound didn't seem to synch and I missed the flash most of the time between frames! The 720P setting at 30 fps was definitely the best video mode. The frame rate stays the same and I can capture very good stills in 640x480. I was so disappointed in the lower resolution video mode that I didn't even bother with stills.

Well, enough for now. I still need to see if maybe I can use my XP ME CDs to repair my OS installation since I don't seem to have any resotre points before the 9th of September!!:rolleyes: And, no recent ... within the last year... backups!

jlottmc
09-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Wynn, one thing I do when I go to the range is take a carry weapon that will not be fired. I treat it just like I do elsewhere and it stays in the holster. One of the next times that I go to the range is when I'll change guns and shoot what was my security weapon. It works for me.

wyntrout
09-15-2012, 03:51 PM
If I take two and shoot both and one is a little "shaky" I can go with the other. In any case, I'm glad to find the problems at the range. At least I carry extra SD ammo for all so that I can leave as armed as I would like... or go home. I say two, because the third has been my second P380 the last few times.

When my PM9's extractor went astray the previous trip, it was AFTER the 6+1 and 7-round carry mags of Gold Dots were shot, and on the 6th round of the 3rd mag with FMJ after that.

I understand, though, and that's what I usually do... not shoot the EDC.

It also could be important that your EDC isn't freshly fired!:eek: