PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 44 mag $525 whatya think?

TheTman
09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I was in our new Cabela's for the first time yesterday, wow that's a place I could spend some time in. My Brother wanted to look at the .45's, he's wanting a 1911. They had a Remington on sale that looked pretty nice.
I've been looking for a lever action rifle in a pistol caliber (.357 or 44 mag), and they had a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, used, for $525. Seems to have been taken care of, and has a scope rail already put on.
Do you think that is a fair price? I thought it seemed a bit high.

JimBianchi
09-14-2012, 01:33 PM
yes

DeaconKC
09-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Make 'em an offer. Those are sweet shooting rifles.

TheTman
09-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Oh well, looks like the Marlin is going to get away from me. Decided to deal with a guy on a Russian SKS instead. Price is very reasonable and will be no paperwork.

mr surveyor
09-17-2012, 09:19 AM
you said "used", but didn't qualify the term with "age". If that is a recent Marlin, aka "Remlin", and one of the semi-hard-to-find.44 mag versions, it's on the for sale rack for a reason. I too am looking for a .44 mag lever gun, but I refuse to touch a modern Remlin for anything over a couple hundred bucks. I've got a buddy that took delivery of a new one last week....it fell apart in his hands on the 30th round. Also word has it that Marlin is/has closed it's mfg plant in Mass in the last few days........but I got that from a gunshop owner conspiracy theorist (probably from an old email rumor)

I'm looking for a pre-1990 Marlin or Win myself (.44 and/or .357)...preferably pre-80's

surv

edited to add conspiracy/internet myth clarification

TheTman
09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
I ddin't ask the age or anything, I do know it was one with the safety added.

doublebarrel
09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Checking the proof mark on the barrel will let you know where it was made.JM with circle around it would be Marlin,REM is a Remington made Marlin and they really haven't got the hang of building them.They should have keep making them at the Marlin plant where the people knew what they were doing.I picked up a stainless one at the Fort Worth,Texas Cabela's for $499 a couple of months ago and it shoots good.I think I'll cut the barrel to 16.25",prefer the shorter ones but they are hard to find.good luck with yours.

getsome
09-17-2012, 04:18 PM
I looked at a Puma .44 mag lever action at Bass Pro and it looked to be a decent lever action selling for $499....

I recently picked up a Uberti .45 Colt SA and with the gun was a booklet showing all the other guns they carry and they had a .44 mag Winchester replica lever gun that also looked sweet from the picture...It's an Italian made gun but Uberti-Stoeger has a good rep for building nicely made quality guns for a good price...

Bawanna
09-17-2012, 04:23 PM
I looked at a Puma .44 mag lever action at Bass Pro and it looked to be a decent lever action selling for $499....

I recently picked up a Uberti .45 Colt SA and with the gun was a booklet showing all the other guns they carry and they had a .44 mag Winchester replica lever gun that also looked sweet from the picture...It's an Italian made gun but Uberti-Stoeger has a good rep for building nicely made quality guns for a good price...

I have the Puma octagon barrel in 45 Colt and an Uberti Birdshead Handle also in 45 Colt. Possibly my most favorite two guns of them all. And people tell me I was born a 100 years too late. Bah!

mr surveyor
09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
I have the Puma octagon barrel in 45 Colt and an Uberti Birdshead Handle also in 45 Colt. Possibly my most favorite two guns of them all. And people tell me I was born a 100 years too late. Bah!

I would take either one of those before I would buy another Remlin... and I am a big fan of Marlin rifles....

We bought the grandson a new Model 336 (remlin:() in 30-30 last Christmas, although I would have preferred re-building a vintage true Marlin off the pawn shop rack. I think he would have been just as happy at the moment, and much more happy in the long term. Right out of the box the front sight and screw were rolling around loose, and the rear sight dove tail was milled about 5 degrees out of level.... not to mention the cheap crap birch stock.

The only Marlin I will buy from now on will be "vintage"

surv

TheTman
09-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I'll be at Cabela's if anyone wants me to find out more on the gun. I don't know if they have store to store shipping, but I can find out more details if anyone is interested.